Asashosakari

Aki Basho 2018 Discussion [SPOILERS]

And with that Hakuho continues his run of winning at least one yusho a year since he first started winning them. While I’m personally a little weary of seeing him lift the trophy, I certainly can’t help but respect everything he has achieved. I was there when he won the first of the back-to-back championships that led to his Yokozuna promotion and my time following sumo has been all his. 

So glad to see Tochinoshin secure his rank. He had been performing like a Yokozuna until recently and the possibility of him going down as the shortest-reigning Ozeki in history was not something I’ve enjoyed thinking about. I only hope he can get over whatever has been bothering him injury-wise and return to form.

Also great to see Yoshikaze get double digits after his dreadful showing last time around. I still think he should start preparing for retirement though. 

I was surprised to see Nishikigi turn up today. After securing his KK I half-expected him to sit out and rest his elbow. He looked to be in a lot of pain yesterday. 

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Isao said:

Before Mitakeumi's match, NHK commentator said that ozeki run was over for him.

A little query for the worst case scenario if Mitakeumi loses tomorrow and finishes 8-7 this time.

A three basho run, with a middle 8-7 result, resulting in an ozeki promotion.
http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&columns=4&n_basho=4&form1_rank=m-s&form2_rank=m-s&form2_wins=8&form3_rank=m-s&form4_rank=o

a detail from the recent past

1697160874_Screenshot_2018-09-22Queryresult.png.8c9c4049095cf590b963a58e3a811590.png

1769969634_Screenshot_2018-09-22Queryresult(1).png.58815fc75328569d5525f44861ce31ea.png

According to this, one would expect Goeido becoming Yokozuna once... (Blinking...)

Edited by Tsubame
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Congrats for Tochinoshin getting over the line today, though that was a weird time and situation for Abi to attempt a kubinage.

Though Hakuho's conduct might sometimes be questionable, you can't help but admire the way he just keeps on winning. 41 Yusho and 1000 Makuuchi wins, wow!

Mitakeumi! *huge sigh of relief*

Tochinoshin! *huge sigh of relief*

Kisenosato! *huge sigh of relief*

Today's matches were as good as a massage for my stress levels. Magical.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Tsubame said:

According to this, one would expect Goeido becoming Yokozuna once... (Blinking...)

and the only ozeki who scored a 15-0 and not made it to yokozuna was Wakashimazu, who retired soon after due to injury

2 hours ago, Tsubame said:

A little query for the worst case scenario if Mitakeumi loses tomorrow and finishes 8-7 this time.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&columns=4&n_basho=4&form1_rank=m-s&form2_rank=m-s&form2_wins=8&form3_rank=m-s&form4_rank=o

a detail from the recent past

1697160874_Screenshot_2018-09-22Queryresult.png.8c9c4049095cf590b963a58e3a811590.png

1769969634_Screenshot_2018-09-22Queryresult(1).png.58815fc75328569d5525f44861ce31ea.png

It’s only one basho so perhaps one ought not to judge too harshly, but this tournament, with its full complement of Yokozuna and Ozeki, may have shown us Mitakeumi’s true level (at present) and it isn’t Ozeki level (yet). His 13-2Y in July was come by somewhat fortuitously. I feel that to make Ozeki after posting 8-7 or even 9-6 this time, he will need to not only get 12-3 or 13-2+ in November, but he will need to do it in a fully competitive field. If it’s another Y/O-light basho, I think that will count against him whatever numbers he puts up. His aki numbers have given the kyokai just enough justification not to promote him if he doesn’t have to face the big guns. Just my tuppence worth. Who really knows how their minds work?

Edited by Eikokurai

This basho has been amazing I am so sad to see it end tomorow.

Hakuhou's 41 yusho, 1000th makuuchi win enough is said, he might even get another zenshou with a win tomorow. He was not even sure to enter and didn't train much. There are certain things I dislike about him but he is the GOAT no doubt.

Kisenosato incredible, this guy is incredible. Got injured badly came back to get his second yusho, and now he managed to get 10 wins (11 if he wins tomorow) for his come back with his back against the wall. Not always great sumo but he fought with all his heart and that his Yokozuna's sumo too ! 

Tochinoshin saved his rank, Kakuryu crumbled in the end. Good basho from Goeido and Takayasu.

Mitakeumi is close but not there yet, he still have a bit of hope. He needs to improve a bit more and a bit of luck too. maybe next year ?

Ichinojo is settling in sanyaku with Mitakeumi. Takakeisho had a very good basho, this kid is amazing, all the top guys back and he is kk at K1

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Like 1

Was a fun and entertaining basho, still drama for tomorrow as a few go for KK. Congrats to Hakahou a privalidge to see the GOAT, he still has it. Toyonoshima back in Juryo with authority and URa 6-1 moving up. Takakeisho with KK at komosubi nice job. Kise didn't embarrass himself and should be back. 

2 hours ago, Rainoyama said:

Takakeisho had a very good basho, this kid is amazing, all the top guys back and he is kk at K1

I've heard it said confidently, several times during the last 2-3 tournaments, that the other guys are going to "figure out" Takakeisho.

Any day now...just watch....it's gonna happen......any day.........

Edited by Shio-kago
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Shio-kago said:

I've heard said confidently, several times during the last 2-3 tournaments, that the other guys are going to "figure out" Takakeisho.

Any day now...any day....it's gonna happen......any day.........

A strong second week showing against mostly maegashira opponents has got him to his KK; his six defeats came against guys above him, so I don’t think he’s quite outwitted them just yet. He’s fun to watch but will need to add a few more tricks to his repertoire if he’s going to regularly and consistently trouble the Y/O.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

It has been sad to watch Kakuryū crumble when it looked like the yūshō might be his.

Kisenosato surprised me, was not expecting him to do this well.

I hope Hakuhō wins tomorrow for another zenshō.

What’s up with Ichinojō always not even trying the first week then making a comeback kachikoshi? This guy is weird.

That, uh, went about as expected, I suppose. :-|

Edited by Benevolance

21 hours ago, Tsubame said:

If I knew how to use the database, I'd answer this question myself.  But what do the stats say about a middle 9-6 result, resulting in an ozeki promotion?  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Mitakeumi will win tomorrow!

Edited by Amamaniac

13 hours ago, Eikokurai said:
13 hours ago, Rocks said:

Then why state it as a fact in reply to me? And many would argue there is not only not a strong case for it, there is very little case at all. It simply a modern attempt to address an issue which never really was an issue to begin with. Explaining why modern games use the word football yet don't really use the foot much.   They have have evolved away from a lot of kicking. There used to be much more, even in American football.  There's no problem to solve.

It’s contentious. There are two schools of thought, neither of which has definitive evidence, but there is a strong case for ‘football’ being a word that described games played on foot. I should have qualified my point above.

Guys if you would be so kind and explain to what does this (nonsensical, in my opinion) discussion have to do with Aki Basho 2018 Discussion?

If anything, please explain, if nothing, please move it to another thread.

6 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

This happens every basho for the day 15 torikumi - to allow for as many meaningful torikumi as possible, in which rikishi don't tend to go easy to help the kachi-koshi of others - but the exact time of publishing them might differ from basho to basho

One perfect example of that, in my mind anyway, is the matchup between Asanoyama and Takakeisho tomorrow.  Asanoyama has had four (good) chances to get his KK and has squandered them all.  Now he (M5W) will really have his hands full against the always all-business Komusubi.  If I didn't know any better, I'd say that Asanoyama is being taught a lesson here: next time, get the job done!

Edited by Amamaniac

Is Takanoiwa going to lose his last 4 matches so he doesn't have to face Hakuho in next basho? Was looking foward for their first match since the karaoke session, but it doesn't seem it is going to happen in november.

As for Ichinojo, he should have Hakuho slap him every two days to keep him awake during the all basho. Once again he seems to be getting his 8th win, but could easly have had 11 or more if it wasn't for the matches he is sleeping. It's very hard to be a fan....

On 21/09/2018 at 19:01, Ryoshishokunin said:

Frankly, smashing two heads together at high speed is a really dumb idea, and the primary thing that the slap seems to do is let Hakuho get on the belt without the knock to the head that comes with many other approaches.    

I wouldn´t call it a bad idea, might get you an advantage. Not going into the long-term consequences, but the ability to wrestle, after suffering an impact equivalent to a car crash, is what´s still puzzling me time and again, after 15 years of watching. 

Since I have no idea how to figure that out, if possible at all, I have a question to the respected forum: before his loss to Tochinoshin in May, does anybody know or remember the last time when Hakuho lost a bout after getting his left hand outside grip, or how many bouts he has lost at all when having it ? Thank you for help/suggestions how to find out.

Edited by Gospodin
clarification

Hakuho, what an achievement. 1 off from a zensho, and this at such a stacked basho where pretty much all the top guys are there and healthy, something we haven't had in forever it feels. The man.

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

If I knew how to use the database, I'd answer this question myself.  But what do the stats say about a middle 9-6 result, resulting in an ozeki promotion?  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Mitakeumi will will tomorrow!

Copy the link and replace wins=8 with wins=9.

Tochinoshin:

A tough basho for him and he manages to get KK almost on his last opportunity. I hope that he recovers for November.

Mitakeumi:

He was able to pull a delicate dancing move over the strawbales under pressure of a bulldozing Takayasu. A movement to show to the people that thinks that rishiki have no agility.

Hakuho:

He is not my favourite, but I am happy to witness the Greatest of All Time making history. His basho is perfect so far and we have one more bout to rejoice.

On 10/09/2018 at 12:14, Rocks said:

I doubt he ever KKs in Juryo. I give him almost zero chance of going higher. 

I wonder why people make predictions of "ever" or "never". Rare to see them proved wrong quite so quickly, however.

I also wonder if all the unnecessary drama in this thread was simply due to a terrible prediction?

Fantastic basho.

Am glad Kisenosato proved so many wrong, his defense was marvelous this basho. Hope to see him gain some attacking confidence for Kyusho now that he doesn't have all that pressure. Funny how everyone's early favorite Kakuryu is now even with the man everyone thought was on the way to intai this basho.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why a few people are so harsh on Enho. I think he is overhyped, absolutely.  But never to reach KK in Juryo, never to go higher? He is so young and has shown such good results... People comment on his size holding him back and I agree to an extent, but do people think he really doesn't have the talent to reach at least the level of an Ishiura, say, who has spent plenty of time in the top division?

I'm happy that Tochinoshin will stay at Ozeki, and hoping for Kotoshogiku and Ichinojo to reach kashi koshi tomorrow.

Well done to Hakuho for 1,000, and good luck going for the zensho. This guy is amazing!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Feginowaka said:

will this be a basho without sansho?
I can't see somebody deserving any of the sansho

What about Yoshikaze and/or the winner of Ryuden/Takanoiwa?

Must admit, I have only a very vague understanding of the (also vague?) criteria for sanshō.

10 hours ago, Isao said:

Before Mitakeumi's match, NHK commentator said that ozeki run was over for him.

He can't be an Ozeki in the next basho but one more win and Mita keeps his run going for the next basho.     Makekosh will stop his run even for the next basho.   It'd reset the run to 0.   8-7 would be an impossible number for him to be an Ozeki after the next basho.   It'd mean Mita would have to go 12-3 or better and i don't see it, especially with all Y/O being healthy.

Edited by robnplunder