Asashosakari

Aki Basho 2018 Discussion [SPOILERS]

7 hours ago, Philioyamfugi said:

I'm starting to really like Takakeisho ... Tough lil bugger and about impossible to get his belt. 

Weight wise, that "lil bugger" is about an average size rikishi and known to bully taller opponents.  He also got an arrogant swagger & facial expression.  Imagine if he was 3 inches taller.   Then there is his twin Onosho ....

• Like 1

I can’t say I saw anything that suggested Kisenosato’s opponents eased off. On the contrary, I think Takakeisho and Yutakayama both approached the bout with a ‘Here’s a real chance for a kinboshi’ attitude.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Jabbamaru said:

Im not Yutaka or Ikioi...But...Sure i would pass a kinboshi with the potential to make me be hated by all Japan...when a guy who dosen't fight in months and dont have a important muscle on his body wins 3 fights with such an lame sumo...well...who you gonna call? Yaocho busters!

None of the rikishi who have beaten Kisenosato in his previous post-injury tournament appearances has become “hated by all Japan”.

That warm feeling when a long-ago decision to put certain posters on ignore proves itself as entirely warranted once again...

• Like 4
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Nishikido today

Shodai-Endo: gyoji points to Shodai - mono-ii - conference explanation:
The gyoji gumbai was in favor of Yutakayama's oshi, but we judge it as both simultaneously ... we had a mono-ii objection that it  might have been simultaneously, but we decide according to the gumbai as a win for Yutakayama.

at the kachi-nanori he made the announcement that it was Shodai

Mitakeumi-Tamawashi: gyoji points to Mitakeumi - mono-ii - conference explanation:
The gyoji gumbai was in favor of Tamawashi's yori, but Tamawashi going down and ... going out and Mitakeumi going out - down is seen by us as simultaneously and we make it a tori-naoshi

Kisenosato-Yutakayama: gyoji points to Kisenosato - mono-ii - conference explanation, speaking thrice as fast as before:
It was a mono-ii to check if Kisenosato's leg was in, we decide according to the gumbai as a win for Kisenosato

https://mobile.twitter.com/color_sumo/status/1039666714273693699/photo/1

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jabbamaru said:

If, instead of kise, was, for example, kakuryu performing this way...i dont think he would get this kind of "wow, great defensive ozumo" condecendent comments...

The way i see...no one wants to be the "japanese zuna's undertaker"...Who can blame the boys for that?

But i dont like him so maybe im just blinded by hate  (Beardeddisguise...)

if it were Kakuryu?  They would probably say the same. I've never been a Kakuryu fan but if he showed some great defensive sumo I would be impressed. Kakuryu's defense when not at his best is "pull more". Luckily for him he is really good at pulling. It's his main offense. People are raving about Kise because for the past year or so, when he showed up, he couldn't stop a fly. It's impressive just to see him actually engaging in a level manner. I doubt there wer many expected much from him, I know I didn't. But I was hoping. 

3 hours ago, Jabbamaru said:

Im not Yutaka or Ikioi...But...Sure i would pass a kinboshi with the potential to make me be hated by all Japan...when a guy who dosen't fight in months and dont have a important muscle on his body wins 3 fights with such an lame sumo...well...who you gonna call? Yaocho busters!

As far as Yaocho? Yeah, I think it's still around but much more low key and mostly a friend thing and not a money thing. Tochinoshin definitely tossed a bout to help Gagurmaru stay in makuuchi one more basho not too long ago. Virtually everyone predicted it. but as far as Kise's 1st 3 bouts? No.

It has nothing to do with people not wanting to end his career, although I think that is in the back of their minds. It's who he faced.

Ikioi? Nah, that is all ikioi's nerves against Yokozuna and his straightforward, predictable technique. But ikioi is always gung ho, just like Chiyonokuni. 

Takakeisho? The guy, like his Oyakayta, is oblivious. if you told him his winning would cause a major earthquake he probably wouldn't change a thing. He probably couldn't stop himself from slapping and pulling and he didn't against Kise. Kise just survived it. 

Yutakayama? No, that guy is hungry as hell, probably to the point it hurts him. He wants that kinboshi any way he can get it, and he almost did last night. I would not be surprised to see him beat Kakuryu tonight. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

I can’t say I saw anything that suggested Kisenosato’s opponents eased off. On the contrary, I think Takakeisho and Yutakayama both approached the bout with a ‘Here’s a real chance for a kinboshi’ attitude.

I agree completely, both fought the best they could. They are young talents and want to climb as high as they can, as fast as they can. they both wanted the win and did everything they could to get it. It's a kinboshi, it's a win and it's a loooooot of money too I don't think they'll pass on that.

12 hours ago, Rainoyama said:

Man that's just embarassing and sad, I hope he got a nice memo from his boss. Also it's sad for Shodai who is reminded he has no charisma and doesn't look like he is ever gonna make it to the next level.

The next time Nishikido is sitting ringside during the makuuchi dohyo-iri, I fully expect him to call a mono-ii for at least one of the three yokozuna dohyo-iri, possibly even resulting in a do-over when he mistakes the video judges booth silence for agreement with his call, at which time Hakuho will refuse to get back on the dohyo. (Blinking...)

What is with all these guys missing the bales and stepping out this basho? Seems like more than  usual to me. 

Kaisei went for it for once with a Yokozuna. When Kaisei came back  off the bales that first time I thought he had Kisenosato but he was in a bad position most of the match.

good win for Kise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Philioyamfugi said:

Kise fighting for his life... Nice win! 

That fight screams that Kise is far from being himself.  

What?  Two bloody faces in one day?  Tochinoshin's look the worse.

Ichinojo continues with his confusing brand of sumo.   That was an easy win for Mitakeumi.   

Note to other rikishi - to beat Takakeisho, just stand your ground until he loses balance :-P.

• Haha 1

I can’t quite express exactly why, but I like this new Kisenosato better than the pre-injury version. He’s got a lot of tools that he’s working with now that his left side isn’t as dominant. Some belt work today, some pushing and thrusting the last few days...not dominant, but certainly wily. 

I suppose there’s a sense of fatalism there. It works and he stays, or it doesn’t and he retires. That would do a lot for my nerves were I in his spot. Here’s hoping he keeps up the winning, anyway. 

• Like 5

Hakahou looking like the boss and Kakaryuu taking care of business compared the the struggling Kisenosato. Takakeisho had nothing today. Mitakiumi and all ozeki winning and my boy Kagayaki killing me going for his usual 7 or 8 wins. 

Kakuryū wins again!....now I can pull my heart out of my mouth...untill tomorrow.

Poor Kyokutaisei, he wanted to win lots of money as well:'-(

57 minutes ago, Michishige said:

I can’t quite express exactly why, but I like this new Kisenosato better than the pre-injury version. He’s got a lot of tools that he’s working with now that his left side isn’t as dominant. Some belt work today, some pushing and thrusting the last few days...not dominant, but certainly wily. 

I suppose there’s a sense of fatalism there. It works and he stays, or it doesn’t and he retires. That would do a lot for my nerves were I in his spot. Here’s hoping he keeps up the winning, anyway. 

Hmm.  I see differently.  To me, he looks like he is winging it b/c either he is physically not at 100% or he is a bit rusty.   In golf term, he is scrambling a lot and it will eventually cost a hole, then the round.   Hopefully, he will find his old self and be a yusho contender.  

I also think  Tochinoshin is also not fully back.   Kachikosh is going to be a good result for him.

On the other hand, Hak & Kak look like their old selves.  I think they are the odds on favorite for the yusho.

Ichinojo doesn't usually show much emotion but he was really annoyed with himself after losing to Mitakeumi. He ripped his sagari off in disgust after he got pushed out.

Tochinoshin had a huge handful of Tamawashi's hair during the first bout.

And Kise looks rusty and not as strong as he might have previously been, but he is all there mentally. Any doubts I had about his mental state are gone. He is switched on and fighting!

1 hour ago, Michishige said:

I did an analysis of the way he wins a couple of years ago and he has typically used way fewer techniques to win bouts than most other Yokozunae have done in the past. From memory most have an arsenal of 35-40 winning kimarite, he only has in the low 20s from memory, with over 60% of wins coming from force out techniques. He was fairly one dimensional, but just because those things worked for him doesn't mean he didn't know how to do the other stuff I guess? You don't get to be a Yokozuna by being rubbish at sumo. I also like this Kise, fighting for his life. I don't think he looks as bad as some others on here, but he is definitely rusty - a year on thee sidelines will do that for any athlete. But he has got to 4-0 which is a solid foundation for a KK before he has to face the Ozekis and Yokozunae.

Edited by Morty

I'm interested in how Kise's injury having not healed properly and him consequently having 50% less power has shifted from speculation on the forum to orthodoxy. Has there ever been any confirmation in the Japanese press that this is the case with him, or have we just worked it out ourselves? Because we somehow, collectively, seem to have come to the conclusion that his left pec didn't heal properly and so is consequently buggered. For all we know he could be back to full pre-injury fitness ( I doubt it but you never know...).

• Like 1

A tiny tiny fist pump from Tochinoshin? Shows just how much today's win meant for him.

It's always nice seeing a bout between Goeido and Ikioi, they've been good friends and training partners from a very young age. In fact, it was upon Goeido's dad's invitation that an 8 year old Ikioi joined the local sumo club, Furuichi Dojo.

Edited by mikawa
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

That fight screams that Kise is far from being himself.  

What?  Two bloody faces in one day?  Tochinoshin's look the worse.

Ichinojo continues with his confusing brand of sumo.   That was an easy win for Mitakeumi.   

Note to other rikishi - to beat Takakeisho, just stand your ground until he loses balance :-P.

It looked to me like Takayasu’s tachiai almost knocked Takakeisho out before he lost his footing. Kaisei’s facial expressions in the corridor after his loss were priceless. Gotta be one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen in Sumo. He seems a very likable fellow 

29 years since 3 Yokozunae are unbeaten on day 4. Last time was in Haru 1989 when Kitanoumi, Hokutoumi, Chiyonofuji and Oonokuni were all unbeaten  after day 11. "Indeed. We shall gambarize towards breaking that day 11 record," said Hakuhou. "That's interesting, but I will be concentrating exclusively on my sumo," said the wry Kakuryuu.

Kaisei, 35 losses against Yokozunae with 0 wins: "Hey, should I try to keep that record going?" he asked.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Ok. Either Kisenosato's muscles have healed up better than we had been led to believe was possible, or he's found some way to compensate. Kaisei was attacking from Kise's left and still got his 207 kg ass heaved over the tawara. 

• Like 3