Kintamayama

Aurora breaks the record and Aki weigh-in

So what happened to the 300kg dream? What made him retire all of a sudden?

1 hour ago, ALAKTORN said:

So what happened to the 300kg dream? What made him retire all of a sudden?

He may have realized that, given his struggle to so much as mount the dohyo at this point, that to get any heavier would render him fully immobile.

I just hope his intai doesn't lead to more weight gain due to less physical activity.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kuroyama said:

I just hope his intai doesn't lead to more weight gain due to less physical activity.

In the few keiko videos in which he appeared, he was always seen in the background merely occupying space.  I have never seen him engaging in physical activity except during his hon-basho matches.

I hope he can still get medical care back in Russia. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kuroyama said:

He may have realized that, given his struggle to so much as mount the dohyo at this point, that to get any heavier would render him fully immobile.

He did seem especially bad these last couple of tournaments, as soon as he made the first step onto the dohyo he lost his footing immediately.

Surely this is a lesson to any new recruit coming in, in terms of not how to do it.

Swami

10 hours ago, Philioyamfugi said:

I hope his notoriety encourages him lose weight and get healthy... The sumo fans would love to get news of his progress. He seems to be a decent guy.. I wish him the best 

I thought that part of the Orora story was that he had some medical problems that led to his unusual weight, and that he came to do sumo in Japan as a way to get better medical attention, and as a way to be able to have his medical treatment paid for. Am I getting this wrong? Or am I confusing him with another rikishi?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jejima said:

I thought that part of the Orora story was that he had some medical problems that led to his unusual weight, and that he came to do sumo in Japan as a way to get better medical attention, and as a way to be able to have his medical treatment paid for. Am I getting this wrong? Or am I confusing him with another rikishi?

That's the story I heard about 15 years ago. It has continued to today with some minor variations.  Orion once hinted that it may be a bit of hokum.

Edited by Asojima

Video from one of the people handing him flowers:

• Thanks 3