Kintamayama

Aurora breaks the record and Aki weigh-in

The regular weigh-in and check ups were held today at the KKan. Sandanme   Jonidan 12 Aurora (OK, Oorora, before someone gets all nitpicky) has broken all records and now tips the scales at 292.6 kilos. "I woke up at 2:30 in the morning and ate 2 nigiris, and then remembered we had the check-ups today.. That's all I ate.." he lamented. "As for the size of the nigiri, well, try to imagine.." he added. "I'm exercising and watching my weight.. Reaching 300 kilos is cool, " he said, as if talking about someone else. And then he told us an interesting story. "When I entered sumo (at 193 kilos at the age of 16..) my Oyakata the late Kitanoumi told me to try and become heavier than Konishiki and aim  to be number 1 at something.. I thought it would be impossible back then, but I guess I just did that," he said. What now? "It's fun. The Yokozunae and Ozeki make their name by winning, but I want my name to be remembered as well. What I did has never been done before, so I'd like my name to live on for eternity!" he summed. Now, let the tsk tsking begin..

The weight screen says "Please get on one by one!" in Japanese.

201808270000393-w500_0.jpg

Giant Gagamaru looks like a dwarf next to Aurora..

201808270000393-w500_1.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

I find it hard to believe that ex-Kitanoumi would have urged him to go and break Konishiki's all-time weight record.  At the end of the day, Orora is never going to make Juryo, let alone Makunouchi.  Even if he was 100kg lighter, I don't think he would have made it.

I'm at Slimming World and I am exercising and watching my weight - can he really say the same, as quoted above?

Swami

1 minute ago, Swami said:

I find it hard to believe that ex-Kitanoumi would have urged him to go and break Konishiki's all-time weight record.  At the end of the day, Orora is never going to make Juryo, let alone Makunouchi.  Even if he was 100kg lighter, I don't think he would have made it.

I'm at Slimming World and I am exercising and watching my weight - can he really say the same, as quoted above?

Swami

Guys in the lower ranks, especially the ones who have been around a while, know how to deal with him. The majority of matches I've seen, everybody does not want to square up with him because they know they are in trouble. But it's true that his mobility is so limited by that much weight. Heck, he can barely do a sonkyo at the tachiai.

1 hour ago, Swami said:

I

Oh, I'm pretty sure he said it. BECAUSE he knew  Oorora was never going to become a sekitori, he probably was trying to cheer him up and half jokingly set him a goal, to which Oorora responded quite seriously, it appears.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

The thing with Konishiki was until he had that really bad injury against Kitao in 1986, his mobility was still relatively good (although he was "merely" 230kg or so at that time).  Then Konishiki had a good spell leading to his ozeki promotion, and arguably his best spell between late 1989 and early 1992 when he was relatively injury-free.

But after September 1991, Konishiki really started putting on the weight again, going up from 254 to 263 at the time of Haru 1992, and his mobility began to suffer badly.  Eventually when he fell from ozeki in late 1993, between then and his retirement he reached 285kg at one point.

I suppose the main point is that Konishiki still had far more strength than Orora, as long as another rikishi doesn't get wrapped up by Orora clamping their arms, their speed should easily be enough to beat him.

Having said that, Orora is not the only one who really should get a lot of weight off.  Tokushinho too and he is the added problem that he is far too top-heavy.  Kenho is another one who badly needs to reduce his weight.  I know Kainowaka did lose a lot a while back, did he keep it off?

Swami

• Like 1

Small correction Kinta - Orora's actually Jonidan 12, not Sandanme 12. Just getting back into Sandanme would be an achievement of sorts for him at this point in his career.

Evening Nsta clip of medical check.  Thankfully, Orora is still somewhat mobile. 

• Like 2

Ok, that's 292.6kg minus the tent he is wearing. He's very likeable and seems to be a honest and fun guy, but i wouldn't be surprised when he eventually drops dead on the dohyo. He really should stop at 300kg and slim down. Maybe he can benefit from being a sumotori some more years.

3 hours ago, ryafuji said:

Small correction Kinta - Orora's actually Jonidan 12, not Sandanme 12. Just getting back into Sandanme would be an achievement of sorts for him at this point in his career.

Indeed, wishful thinking..

• Haha 1

It's getting to the stage that Orora can't even use his bulk as his last line of defense, all his opponents just take advantage of his poor mobility.

Swami

Other results from the weigh-in: Kisenosato down two kilos to 176 since the last weigh-in before May. Kakuryuu is 159, no change, and Hakuhou is down 1 kilo to 154. Mitakeumi up 3 kilos to 170. Tochinoshin up by 6 kilos to 175.  Heaviest sekitori is still Ichinojou, up by 2 kilos to 227. The Makuuchi average rises  by 0.8 kilos and is now 164.3 kilos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ichinojo needs to get a handle on his weight too, it is in danger of getting out of control.

Swami

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swami said:

Ichinojo needs to get a handle on his weight too, it is in danger of getting out of control.

Swami

Yes I remember a couple of years ago in the midst of his back problems he made a effort to lose weight and got down to 185 kilos. Maybe time to do that again.

• Like 2

I'm actually sad, no one under no condition should weigh that much. How much longer until he dies ? He looks totally unhealthy, what's his body fat percentage 70% ? I'm scared for his life.

The saddest thing from Orora's point of view is the fact that he seemingly feels the need to say reaching 300kgs would be cool.  Surely he himself can see it hasn't doesn't his career much good?

Swami

On 27/08/2018 at 02:56, Kintamayama said:

"It's fun. The Yokozunae and Ozeki make their name by winning, but I want my name to be remembered as well. What I did has never been done before, so I'd like my name to live on for eternity!"

Come on, man! You can do It!

focuses on deep frys, soda, sugar, chicken skin and pig fat! We all trust you! 350 and you will be the FOAT for ever! Go go Big O!

(Clappingwildly...)

On 30/08/2018 at 12:12, John Gunning said:

Ikioi is taller than Ichinojou? He's the second tallest guy in Makuuchi after Kaisei? 1.94? 

At what point will he stop and think - is there any point in continuing?  Even getting back to the lower levels of Makushita would be a major achievement for him at present.

Konishiki at his heaviest lost a lot of his mobility but never looked anywhere near as ungainly as Orora.

Swami

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Swami said:

At what point will he stop and think - is there any point in continuing?

Ever started thinking what else there is to do for him?

• Like 1

If I were a rikishi fighting Oorora, I would be affraid of injuring him. With all that weight, his ukemi ability is almost non-existent.

12 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Ever started thinking what else there is to do for him?

Anything else than eating himself to death, that's just not right. 

7 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

Anything else than eating himself to death, that's just not right. 

And what would stop him to do so when you take the only thing away from him that makes him move?

He should quit straight away and try to start losing weight immediately.  The statement "reaching 300kgs is cool" is terrible, if that is what his main aspiration is.

In addition, for his size, he has remarkably little power.

Swami

• Like 2