Asashosakari

Banzuke for Aki 2018

2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Edit: the old form 濱 of hama in most post war 20th century publications will have been replaced by the simple form 浜 anyway, so it looks like there is enough evidence to allow both varieties.

Now this makes sense.  I knew I hadn't seen the first of those kanji before, but knew that there's a lot of weird ones in names.  I recall a discussion in the past about an alternate form of the "sea" (umi) character someone used, although that one looked practically identical to the normal one, so it might be hard to tell when they use the "right" one in the names; the difference may just have been traditional vs. some simplification.  On the other hand, if the name used a kanji not on the Joyo or Jinmeiyo lists, it might be the case that some publications would substitute one known to be of similar meaning pronounced the same, even if it wasn't part of a normal simplification process.  Wikitionary says 濱 indeed is a "Hyogai" (off the lists) kanji and that 浜 is a shinjitai (variant) form of the former kyujitai (old pre-WW2 form) kanji.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/浜#Japanese

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/濱#Japanese

On 27/08/2018 at 21:42, Asashosakari said:

If he (Ura) comes back this basho, he's only one 7-0 away from reaching (more or less) Tochinoshin's starting point. And that should be quite achievable in low sandanme for somebody of maegashira strength. Of course, if he's not actually back at maegashira strength after the injury, then how far he's gotten demoted will be the least of his problems.

Considering his great talent and his current level of competition, it seems virtually certain that Ura will achieve a 7-0 reccord--barring injury, of course. But is it possible for someone at sandanme 91, even with a 7-0 record, to be promoted even close to Tochinoshin's makushita 55 starting point in just one basho?  

30 minutes ago, sekitori said:

Considering his great talent and his current level of competition, it seems virtually certain that Ura will achieve a 7-0 reccord--barring injury, of course. But is it possible for someone at sandanme 91, even with a 7-0 record, to be promoted even close to Tochinoshin's makushita 55 starting point in just one basho?  

Yes. Probably Ms60w, but close enough! If Ura has 3 consecutive 7-0's, he will be in Juryo. 2 years ago, Oyanagi/ Yutakayama was Sd100td 7-0 Y; - Ms58w 7-0 Y; - Ms7w 6-1 - Ms1e. 

Edited by Bumpkin

8 hours ago, sekitori said:

Rikishis better than Ura have gone 6-1 or worse.  So, 7-0 IMHO is not given at all.   I'd happy with 5-2 or 6-1.  Yusho would be an icing on the cake.  I just hope he figures out a way to prolong his career without injury.  Not so easy to do with his size and style.

Does anyone know if Kise is fully healthy?

Perusing the Banzuke, I ran across a truly great name (if you're American): Okinohama.

I immediately started singing "O-O-O--kinohama where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain ... "

On 02/09/2018 at 05:23, sekitori said:

If there’s one certainty in sumo, it’s that no result is certain. It’s a sport in which the tiniest of tiny margins can make a difference. All it takes is a split second distraction and the favourite can come crashing down. Ura could be on top form but drop a bout or two just because that happens all the time in sumo. Heck, even Hattorizakura fluked a ‘win’ last time around.

On 02/09/2018 at 06:30, robnplunder said:

Rikishis better than Ura have gone 6-1 or worse.  So, 7-0 IMHO is not given at all.   I'd happy with 5-2 or 6-1.  Yusho would be an icing on the cake.  I just hope he figures out a way to prolong his career without injury.  Not so easy to do with his size and style.

Examples please for "Rikishis better than Ura haven gone 6-1 or worse"? Anyone can say that but I don't quite recall such an instance. I'd say 7-0 is indeed very likely given the disparity in skill between Ura and Sandanme. Of course if Ura is close to his old form.

Late delivery again for the 35 former sekitori competing in Aki basho. Results as usual elsewhere from Day 8.

Changes from Nagoya (last basho's results here):

Up: Makushita yusho winner Hakuyozan after one toriteki basho, Enho after two, former komusubi Jokoryu after 13, and Akua after three basho.

Down: Sokokurai, ending a string of 38 sekitori tournaments (plus his two-year involuntary layoff), Kizenryu straight back down again for the 9th time, Homarefuji after 35 consecutive sekitori basho, and Nagoya debutant Churanoumi.

Appearance anniversaries: Kitaharima was last seen in juryo one year ago (and is outside the Ms top 15 ranks for the first time since 2010), promotion-seeking Toyonoshima has been down for two years, Yoshiazuma for four, Keitenkai is 6 years removed from his sole juryo appearance, and short-timers Hitenryu and Kaonishiki have come up on 7 years.

Birthdays: Nothing at all in August, and the sole September birthday boy is Kaonishiki who turned 40 yesterday (Day 6).

"Out" shows how many basho it has been since each rikishi's last sekitori appearance. Rikishi with their shikona in darker cells have makuuchi experience. And by popular demand, now with career-highest ranks (HiRk) and number of basho spent in makuuchi (M#) and juryo (J#). To keep the focus on the results during the tournaments, these additional columns will only be included here and in the Day 15 update.

Rank   Shikona Heya Age Out HiRk M# J#
Ms1e Kizenryu Kise 33 1 J11   9
Ms1w Toyonoshima Tokitsukaze 35 12 S 68 6
Ms2e Daiseido Kise 25 5 J12   2
Ms2w Churanoumi Kise 25 1 J14   1
Ms3e Toyohibiki Sakaigawa 33 4 M2 52 14

Ms6w Homarefuji Isegahama 33 1 M6 10 28
Ms7w Higonojo Kise 33 26 J9   4
Ms9e Sokokurai Arashio 34 1 M2 25 13
Ms9w Keitenkai Onomatsu 28 36 J11   1
Ms10e Tokushinho Kise 34 17 J6   27
Ms10w Chiyoarashi Kokonoe 27 31 J10   4