Sign in to follow this  
Yumenofude

Baruto Kaito and his role in "My Brother's Husband".

The manga "My Brother's Husband" crossed my radar sometime earlier year, due to an article in the UK Guardian. Thanks to my TV habit, I found out this had been made into a three-part mini-series. The setting is modern Japan, where a young father is raising his daughter after a divorce. He is grieving the loss of his twin brother, who went to live in Canada in search of a life not available to a gay man in Japan. This man met and married a Canadian by the name of Mike Flanagan - who is now a widow(er) due to an accident.

Not having actually read the manga (Loving and Heroic Spouse is busily procuring volumes), I could only go on my memory of the Guardian article. That said, it looked at least on the first (and second) viewings as faithful to the comic, and I was delighted to see something like this topic get airplay. As soon as fan subs are available, I'll be recommending it to friends who are not as Japano-phile as I am. (They might resist, because they know I've been looking for "partners in crime" for many, many years now - they still appreciate what I get out of my love of Japan, mind, but they're wary at my attempts to drag them into it with me.)

Of course, as soon as I could manage, I was plugging terms into search engines. I learned that the actor playing Mike Flanagan was Baruto Kaito, from Estonia.

I'm still pretty insanely jealous of any Westerner whose command of Japanese is good, and of course, with a past like Baruto's, his Japanese would have gotten very good from his years in sumo. I was delighted by his presence on the screen, at least until he spoke in English - then I was busy learning how to forgive him for not sounding either very North American nor very Irish - although he had me guessing for a couple of lines, because the range of regional Irish accents is pretty wide. (I've lived in Ireland for a number of years, and manage to keep contacts there after more than ten years away.) I felt somewhat petty, given the quality of the rest of the production.

I loved getting to spend so much time, with the involved families, inside a normal Japanese house. (For values of normal that include living rather far away from a megalopolis, that is.) I didn't catch all the spoken dialogue, but I loved how sometimes I could get the drift, particularly during an awkward interview between the main Japanese character and a teacher at his daughter's school.

It was fun for me to watch, and got me wondering about other sumo who have made a sojourn into the world of film/television acting after their years in the heya.

• Like 2