Pandaazuma

Nagoya Basho 2018 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Congratulations Mitakeumi! (Applauding...)

The lad gave a lovely interview too, very emotional. 3 cheers for Mita!(Clappingwildly...)(Clappingwildly...)(Clappingwildly...)

• Like 1

Finally! Calm, collected, strong sumo throughout the basho has earned him, what he deserves. Hearty congratulations to my absolute favourite! A win on day 15 would make him the 7th sekiwake to yusho with such a record and the first NOT to be promoted to ozeki in this spot. But even if he loses, all 13-2 sekiwake except Musoyama were ozeki next basho and Musoyama was promoted a basho later. Just doing the maths, Mitakeumi will be on the Kyushu banzuke ranked as ozeki.

I need his tegata for my new apartment!

Edited by Benihana

2 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Finally! Calm, collected, strong sumo throughout the basho has earned him, what he deserves. Hearty congratulations to my absolute favourite! A win on day 15 would make him the 7th sekiwake to yusho with such a record and the first NOT to be promoted to ozeki in this spot. But even if he loses, all 13-2 sekiwake except Musoyama were ozeki next basho and Musoyama was promoted a basho later. Just doing the maths, Mitakeumi will be on the Kyushu banzuke ranked as ozeki.

I see no way he gets promoted for Aki. I think he will need 10 wins in Aki to get promoted. Another 9 there means his only basho at double digit wins as sanyaku is the Yusho win. That won't cut it IMHO. If with 14 wins here I think he still needs 10 in Aki to get it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asashosakari said:

Ohhh. They're scrapping Mitakeumi-Ichinojo for Day 15 and doing Mitakeumi-Yutakayama and Ichinojo-Endo instead.

Quite a mess they made, and totally uncalled for in my opinion. In the unlikely case that Yutakayama prevailed and Mitakeumi didn't,  they would have met in the playoff anyway.

15 minutes ago, Rocks said:

I see no way he gets promoted for Aki. I think he will need 10 wins in Aki to get promoted. Another 9 there means his only basho at double digit wins as sanyaku is the Yusho win. That won't cut it IMHO. If with 14 wins here I think he still needs 10 in Aki to get it.

Kyūshū isn’t Aki.

• Like 3

Ichinojo again did not more than the absolute minimum for the (lucky) win - actually, I love it when he does it that way

For me it makes sense to skip the sekiwake clash. If Mitakeumi had lost today, Yutakayama would have had it in his own hands to force the playoff. I think they have done things like this before if a Maegashira is involved in the Yusho race.

Regarding the ozeki talk: Getting 10 or 11 wins in September might become a big task for Mitakeumi, especially if three Yokozuna and Tochinoshin enter the next tournament (this basho he beat only one rikishi ranked above him).

Nice promotion race in Makushita: The winner of newcomer Gokushindo and veteran Jokoryu will probably go up and even Ms5w Akua gets his promotion fight against Churanoumi.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tenshinhan said:

For me it makes sense to skip the sekiwake clash. If Mitakeumi had lost today, Yutakayama would have had it in his own hands to force the playoff. I think they have done things like this before if a Maegashira is involved in the Yusho race.

Regarding the ozeki talk: Getting 10 or 11 wins in September might become a big task for Mitakeumi, especially if three Yokozuna and Tochinoshin enter the next tournament (this basho he beat only one rikishi ranked above him).

Nice promotion race in Makushita: The winner of newcomer Gokushindo and veteran Jokoryu will probably go up and even Ms5w Akua gets his promotion fight against Churanoumi.

I don’t disagree with the general point that he’ll have a tough time if everyone in sanyaku is healthy, but it’s a little misleading to simply say he beat only one rikishi ranked above him. He only fought two! That and his one ‘defeat’ was contentious to say the least. 

Maybe I’m just reading too much into your choose of phrase though.

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Kyūshū isn’t Aki.

No, it isn't.

10 minutes ago, Rocks said:

No, it isn't.

Exactly. So when Benihana said “Mitakeumi will be on the Kyushu banzuke ranked as ozeki” I’m unclear why you replied “I see no way he gets promoted for Aki.” Or did you mean “I agree. He’s not getting promoted for Aki but could be for Kyūshū.”?

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

Exactly. So when Benihana said “Mitakeumi will be on the Kyushu banzuke ranked as ozeki” I’m unclear why you replied “I see no way he gets promoted for Aki.” Or did you mean “I agree. He’s not getting promoted for Aki but could be for Kyūshū.”?

Both, in a way. I read "in this spot" to be immediately, meaning for Aki, with 14 wins. I disagree with that. His later point gave me the impression of Kyushu being more probable which I agree with. The rest was simply the numbers I think it will take.

9 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Both, in a way. I read "in this spot" to be immediately, meaning for Aki, with 14 wins. I disagree with that. His later point gave me the impression of Kyushu being more probable which I agree with. The rest was simply the numbers I think it will take.

He said Mitakeumi would be the first to NOT be promoted in this spot. i.e. he will be the first Sekiwake to get a 14-1 yusho without being made Ozeki. At least that’s how I read it.

Mitakeumi has been my favourite rikishi for a while now, so I'm thrilled with his hatsu yusho. I hope he can make it 14-1 tomorrow. Yutakayama is a serious opponent, as he showed against Takayasu today.

In this spot means 14-1 yusho as sekiwake. All others with this result were promoted, because they were at the end of an ozeki run, not in the middle of it. But at first he has to win the last bout.

Edit:

And to make myself clear, i absolutely do not await him to be promoted instantly. I more wanted to express the unique situation he is in then.

Edited by Benihana

3 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

He said Mitakeumi would be the first to NOT be promoted in this spot. i.e. he will be the first Sekiwake to get a 14-1 yusho without being made Ozeki. At least that’s how I read it.

Well, that is not how I interpreted it. Given that he goes on to say that basically 13-2 is that same I think that interpretation is defensible even if it's wrong. He also gives the strong impression that the promotion is almost inevitable. I disagree with that without a double digit win in Aki. At minimum a 9 win and a double digit wins to be made ozeki for January. If Mitakeumi goes 9 and 9 the next 2 basho I do not think he will be promoted. I just don't see them promoting someone with only 1 double digit win total in recent bashos even if one is a Yusho. IMHO.

3 hours ago, Rocks said:

And Takayasu loses. Says a lot about him and Goeido that the best either could manage is 10 wins in a basho missing all Yaokozuna and the only other Ozeki. 

Takayasu was injured before the basho. If not for all the kyujos, he would have been outta here long ago. He took one for the Gipper this time. We'll see if he starts the Jungyo. A big stake that he doesn't. It is very obvious that he is injured.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Mitakeumi is the first ever rikishi from Nagano to get the yusho, unless we count Raiden 208 years ago..

• Like 1

Just now, Kintamayama said:

Mitakeumi is the first ever rikishi from Nagano to get the yusho, unless we count Raiden 208 years ago..

Can you not count Raiden?

3 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Can you not count Raiden?

Different yusho system, which was established in 1909. Cleverer members will elaborate.

Edited by Kintamayama

Yay Mita! (Applauding...) Such a ride, so happy that he kept his calm and won. Twitter is already filled with celebration pics... :-D

Great sumo from Mita he deserves this. Look out for the young Yama boys.... They are young, they are big and look hungry. 

ALL the congratulations to MItakeumi for his first (of hopefully many) yusho!

As for Ichinojo, well...I think there's a great sekitori in there somewhere, but he has issues that hold him back from realizing his full potential. I have to wonder if he ever will.

2 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

For me it makes sense to skip the sekiwake clash. If Mitakeumi had lost today, Yutakayama would have had it in his own hands to force the playoff.

Er, no, he wouldn't. He'd still have to wait for Mitakeumi to lose against Ichinojo.

With the focus on Mitaekumi today, I completely overlooked that Yoshikaze managed a win today, thereby avoiding the ignominy of the 0-15 record. Of course, that’s a trivial matter of speculation about his health has any substance to it.