Pandaazuma

Nagoya Basho 2018 Discussion [SPOILERS]

I do have to say that even with the top dogs missing this is still turning out to be a good basho

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Banshunada (4-1) vs Roman (5-0). Does it really count as a torinaoshi if...

(Alternative description: Almost as embarrassing as making the wrong public announcement on jungyo.)

Has Hattorizakura's younger brother taken a job as gyoji? (Laughing...)

1 hour ago, Rocks said:

Miakeumi looked good but you can see it's weighing on him after the match. I think he wins the yusho regardless but I don't think he's going to beat a Takayasu desperate for a KK tonight.

I am not sure about that assessment. I would put my money on Mitakeumi despite having lost 6 straight to Takayasu going into today. Takayasu doesn't look too genki the past couple of days (possibly nursing an injury?) while Mitakeumi has dispatched his opponents with relative ease. Maybe I will be proven wrong but let' see. I am looking forward to the match up!

• Like 2

I believe that as soon as O1w Takayasu (7-4) gets his 8th win, he will withdraw from the basho. After all, what difference does it make if he gets 8, 9 or 10 wins?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

(Alternative description: Almost as embarrassing as making the wrong public announcement on jungyo.)

Poor kid. At least I'm given to understand they let these things slide early in a gyoji career, while they're still considered trainees.

9 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

I'm still fairly new. What did the gyoji do? I assume he made a call that was clearly wrong.

edit: wait did he.... declare that the guy on the left won? That didn't even occur to me.

Edited by Rigel

10 minutes ago, Rigel said:

I'm still fairly new. What did the gyoji do? I assume he made a call that was clearly wrong.

edit: wait did he.... declare that the guy on the left won? That didn't even occur to me.

He did. I think he thought the other guy touched his knee to the ground.

My first thought on the young gyoji was that he was accidentally pointing the gunbai to indicate "still in" instead of using his words, then on the replay thought he stopped the bout due to a headbutt by Roman, though I am not certain that is even stoppage-worthy. Regardless, seems to be a youthful error by a gyoji still needing to develop more confidence.

21 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

KK is still possible. B-)

23 hours ago, Fukurou said:

I have it in my head (correctly or not) that the tradition for ozeki promotion is 33 wins over 3 consecutive basho. If Mitakeumi goes 15-0 he'll have 31 wins, and he was MK in March (the first of the 3 basho). Ozeki promotion just isn't likely to happen. Unless the NSK leadership is desperate.

But does it really count with all the big boys missing?

48 minutes ago, Oshirokita said:

My first thought on the young gyoji was that he was accidentally pointing the gunbai to indicate "still in" instead of using his words, then on the replay thought he stopped the bout due to a headbutt by Roman, though I am not certain that is even stoppage-worthy. Regardless, seems to be a youthful error by a gyoji still needing to develop more confidence.

The gyōji thought Roman’s knee had touched down, just a honest mistake. The head shinpan explained it and declared it did not touch down, so it was torinaoshi. Must’ve been awkward for the gyōji.

• Like 1

First juryo kachikoshi for Tobizaru in his 4th tournament there. With 3 MK he was waiting on the third-longest streak among active rikishi (following Kizenryu's 9 and Sakigake's 5).

8 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

First juryo kachikoshi for Tobizaru in his 4th tournament there. With 3 MK he was waiting on the third-longest streak among active rikishi (following Kizenryu's 9 and Sakigake's 5).

What a match. It's amazing how far Mitoryu has gotten despite learning so little as far as technique. 

Edited by Rocks
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ScreechingOwl said:

The shimpan were awful yesterday. [...]

And now they called a totally pointless torinaoshi for Daishoho-Gagamaru. Seems like they have read the complaint about dragging-foot here.

I hope @Kintamayama has time for a Kaisei interview video. He's was practically giggling. (Laughing...)

Bloody crow takes it!

Tamawashi is an expert in avoiding getting injured - himself that is - the others get it plentiful by his kotenage.

• Sad 5

Mitakeumi was robbed!!!!!!! Takayasu's toe was out!

• Like 3

Mitakeumi falls!...(well both Takayasu and him did) I can't take much more of this Basho...(Laughing...) What a ride!

Well, well. Goeido has decided to have a say on where the yusho goes after all. Tomorrow’s bout with Mitakeumi is now huge. I still think Mita will have enough to see him over the line, but it will make for an interesting end to the basho if he’s defending a one-win lead to the end ahead of a resurgent Ozeki.

1 minute ago, Rocks said:

Mitakeumi was robbed!!!!!!! Takayasu's toe was out!

Nah, it was the right call.

That my folks may be the most bullshit decision made by Shimpan I have ever seen. It is ludicrous that they gave it to Takayasu.

It is like having a boxer being knocked out and then giving him the win afterwards. Travesty at its finest.

Edit: Should have seen it coming though. Ikioi had to beat his opponent twice yesterday despite clearly winning.

Edited by Jyuunomori
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking a torinaoshi was going to be called. Takayasu's toe looked like it was out first just before Mitakeumi's foot, but it was close.

Edited by MumboJumbo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Akōgyokuseki said:

Mitakeumi falls!...(well both Takayasu and him did) I can't take much more of this Basho...(Laughing...) What a ride!

Which is why the fans deserved a tori-naoshi. There was no clearcut victor, neither was being passive.

• Like 1

Indeed! And i was most surprised that they did not.

There have been many difficult decisions this Basho as well as many false starts...i felt as if I'd watched the same matches many times over (Laughing...)

Sometimes I think the shimpan are only capable to decide if the specific objection (the mono-ii by the shimpan who raised the hand) against the gyoji decision is valid or not - but not to properly judge if there were other things crucial for the outcome.

Takayasu's toe was not out early, but neither did the next moment Mitakeumi step out before Takayasu.

Onomatsu's qualities as a head shimpan are equal to the conditions in his ichimon.

Handing the top gyoji a sashi-chigae, though his decision was not wrong - he even switched the gunbai to indicate it was real close.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1