Pandaazuma

Nagoya Basho 2018 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Hokotofuji  has his nodowa working again and with solid support behind it. Asanoyama wasn't getting near him.

1 hour ago, maorencze said:

I think Takakeisho has it in the bag tomorrow, with Endo's inability to deal with quality oshi zumo (which bothers me to no end, I was hoping Endo would finally be ready for his breakout yet somehow it seems that as soon as oshi guys stop him from getting a grip it's over)

Surprisingly Endo has never met Takakeisho before. Should be interesting.

This is a strange question but does anyone know who is the elderly woman who can be seen every day when the camera shows the west side rikishi.  She wears glasses and traditional attire.  She has a primo seat and seems to enjoy the matches quite a bit.  Is she someone's mother, teahouse owner, or just a wealthy fan?  Just curious. 

1 hour ago, mikawa said:

Was that an intentional move by Ichinojo? Talk about innovation and thinking outside the box.

Obviously not intentional, he was just giving up near the bales as usual but Yoshikaze didn’t finish him off.

Who will S1w Mitakeumi face on Day 12? By rank, it should be M5w Yoshikaze (0-10), By record, it should be M6e Endo (7-3). I say, Endo.

4 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Surprisingly Endo has never met Takakeisho before. Should be interesting.

Didn't know that, interesting indeed! First bouts between rikishi always have somehow different feeling :-)

I sort of lol'd at Ichinojo mistiming his giving up and stepping out... but man that guy's sumo can look so sad.

• Like 2

These last few days Hokutofuji has been wonderfully energetic and strong.  Actually more so than before his neck injury.  He seems to not only be healed, but fitter than his arrival in makuuchi.  That bout with Asonoyama was an absolute belter.  By contrast, the Ichinojou-Yoshikaze bout was very odd and practically played in slow motion.

Takayasu looked doubly shocked today after his fall - firstly that it was Kaisei who dispatched him and secondly, as though he hasn't been thrown like that by an opponent for a very long time.  Plus injuries of course.

All hail Chiyonokuni!  He has really blossomed over the last two basho and shown a good array of skills.  He is showing thoughtful and intelligent strategy.  I like his versatility.  

Mitakeumi looking pretty genki.

Edited by Yatagarasu

5 hours ago, ctbrunner said:

This is a strange question but does anyone know who is the elderly woman who can be seen every day when the camera shows the west side rikishi.  She wears glasses and traditional attire.  She has a primo seat and seems to enjoy the matches quite a bit.  Is she someone's mother, teahouse owner, or just a wealthy fan?  Just curious. 

I recall that she is the owner of a famous/prosperous toriniku-ten poultry shop in Nagoya and yes! a Very stylish sumo fan.  Maybe a koenkai member?  I've always found it very satisfying to see her cheering among the crowd (Clappingwildly...) 

• Like 2

Sad indeed. For me, as an Ichi's fan, is hard to watch...And i really like Yoshi too so that bout was heartbreaking...im  photographer so, like every photographer, i have back problems because of the equipament... I think that  Ichinojo have somekind of lombar or ciatic problem because when your back hurts bad you just stops your movement quite like he does...I hope he dont turn out to be another Terunofuji.

In other hand his fellow sekiwake will take the yusho for sure.

7 hours ago, Rocks said:

Hokotofuji  has his nodowa working again and with solid support behind it. Asanoyama wasn't getting near him.

It was mightily impressive. He got it right from the tachiai and never let up. Even when Asanoyama evaded eventually it was just to get away and he never looked like taking the initiative for himself. Very good win for Hokutofuji who now needs just the one win to avoid demotion to juryo.

Ichinojo lucked out in facing an opponent more lethargic than him. He clearly thought he’d been beaten, only to suddenly realize “oh, it’s not over” and start ‘fighting’ again. Weird bout.

Takakesho, Endo gonna be a good match. Kagayaki gets his shot at Abi.. My boy should win. Kaise , Mitakiumi I'm getting up early for that one. Toyonoshima going for KK as well, I do agree his top division days are done, but still routing for him. Aminishiki, Gagamaru ...? Looks like a pull win for Aminishiki . Tochinozan , Chiyotairu ...both fighting well . Plenty of sumo left !

10 hours ago, mikawa said:

Was that an intentional move by Ichinojo? Talk about innovation and thinking outside the box.

If his giving up early is an intentional ploy, it worked for the first time in about 20 attempts...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Takayasu looked doubly shocked today after his fall - firstly that it was Kaisei who dispatched him and secondly, as though he hasn't been thrown like that by an opponent for a very long time.

There were two kotenage kimarite on Day 10: Kaisei's and Tamawashi's.  It's amazing how a simple arm lock can dispatch even the biggest opponents, but you need to have some weight behind it to be effective.  It seems as though Takayasu's sumo has slowed down, perhaps as a result of his injury issues.  And with the slower reactions, he becomes vulnerable to a Kaisei.  Keep in mind that Kaisei used to be stablemates with Kaiou, the master of kotenage, if memory serves.  

As for Tamawashi's kotenage, it sent Kotoshogiku diving into the first few rows below the dohyo.  He appeared to be injured from the "throw".  The scary thing about the technique is that it has the potential to cause serious injury.  Hope Giku will be able to shake it off...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

The scary thing about the technique is that it has the potential to cause serious injury.  Hope Giku will be able to shake it off...

Considering Giku has gone kyujo for tonight I'd say that is a no. 

• Sad 1

All pointing to Mitakeumi's 1st yusho - no Yokozuna left, Tochinoshin out, Takayasu in hurt mode, ...   He's going against Kaisei whom he never beat in 4 tries.   That to me was a surprise.   What is Kasisei doing that is so effective against Mitakeumi?   Mita's 1st serious challenge of the basho ....

I expect Takakeisho would blow Endo away but I have been more wrong than right in any basho, every basho.  So, if you are a betting man, bet on Takakeisho ;-).     However, I think Takakeisho's new "come and get me" strategy will not work in the long run.    

With all the top rikishi out so early, the quality & strength of this basho has been one of the worst since I started watching basho about 3 years ago.  A new wave of strong rikishi to replace the aging ones.   

Yeah I am definitely looking forward to the Endo-Takakeisho match as well. I think Takakeisho will win but don't think it will be a blowout, especially if Endo manages to get a mawashi grip. I expect Takakeisho to hit hard off the tachiai to throw Endo off-balance and to keep him guessing throughout the match. Takakeisho is deceptively quick and has great timing so Endo will have his hands full with this feisty tadpole!

15 minutes ago, wys said:

Yeah I am definitely looking forward to the Endo-Takakeisho match as well. I think Takakeisho will win but don't think it will be a blowout, especially if Endo manages to get a mawashi grip. I expect Takakeisho to hit hard off the tachiai to throw Endo off-balance and to keep him guessing throughout the match. Takakeisho is deceptively quick and has great timing so Endo will have his hands full with this feisty tadpole!

Very few have managed to grip Takakeisho's mawashi.   IMO, it will be a bump/push/slap contest initiated by Takakeisho for an easy win over hapless Endo.   

The match I want to see is the Mitakeumi vs Kaisei one.   Kaisei looked healthy and strong and is boasting 4-0 record against Mitakeumi who often folded in 2nd half of the recent bashos.  If they only counted 1st eight days of the basho matches, Mitakeumi would have been an Ozeki already.   If Mita stays strong the rest of the way for a change, he will get the yusho, setting it up nice for his Ozekiship in another basho.

If Mitakeumi goes 15-0. is there any chance he gets directly promoted to Ozeki?

I'm guessing no. That would be too sudden a promotion for Mitakeumi considering he's just now able to produce double digits in the sanyaku level. A solid 11 or 12 wins next basho should be enough for Ozeki consideration if he wins the 2018 Nagoya basho.

7 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

If Mitakeumi goes 15-0. is there any chance he gets directly promoted to Ozeki?

You are not serious?

59 minutes ago, specialweek 2 said:

You are not serious?

I thought there was a rule that if a Sekiwake goes 15-0, he gets promoted directly to Ozeki. I'm probably wrong but it doesn't hurt to ask.

29 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

I thought there was a rule that if a Sekiwake goes 15-0, he gets promoted directly to Ozeki. I'm probably wrong but it doesn't hurt to ask.

That’s definitely wrong.

Even if Mitakeumi were to go 15-0, his previous two records combine for 16 wins, one of them being a makekoshi. If he were to finish 15-0, perhaps the NSK may consider him for promotion if he finishes strong at Aki.