Pandaazuma

Nagoya Basho 2018 Discussion [SPOILERS]

It is amazing that no one has mentioned that Endo got a "pretty boy" torinaoshi decision after he used his dead body to drag his heel across 1/3  part of the dohyo. >:-(

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Asojima said:

It is amazing that no one has mentioned that Endo got a "pretty boy" torinaoshi decision after he used his dead body to drag his heel across 1/3 of the dohyo. >:-(

I’ve watched the replay a number of times (it was my selected bout for my ‘bout of the day’ post on WeChat) and I can’t see much that’s contentious about the torinaoshi decision. If anyone is shinitai it’s Miyogiryu, though I think the rematch was fair.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

With Yoshikaze MK already and Endo 7-1, I seriously doubt Yoshikaze will face anyone in sanyaku that has a chance for a KK, especially as there are no Yokozuna who are most likely to be required to face the top ranked guys.  He still could face Shohozan near the end when they both have 10 losses or whatever.

Daishomaru probably won't be skipped for Chiyotairyu though - probably not until the former gets 8 losses, so not for 3 more days which would give enough time to have him face most everyone near the top.  By that point things might look quite different, and they may need to send sanyaku down against Asanoyama as well if he somehow continues winning.  He's going to start facing much harder opponents though, with Onosho and Hokutofuji most likely coming his way soon, irrespective of his record.

17 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

With Mitakeumi 4 wins ahead of Ichinojo, I'm making the (potentially misguided) assumption that they'll want to save up the ozeki vs Mitakeumi matches for later, which also has the effect that the ozeki vs Ichinojo matches are more likely to take place before Ichi goes makekoshi (which is something they generally try to do with Y/O vs S/K matchups).

And on that theme, doing Takayasu-Tamawashi before Goeido-Shohozan is a rather puzzling decision, with Shohozan already down to 1-7. Maybe they'll end up skipping the latter match altogether and give Goeido some well-performing maegashira instead...?

10 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

And on that theme, doing Takayasu-Tamawashi before Goeido-Shohozan is a rather puzzling decision, with Shohozan already down to 1-7. Maybe they'll end up skipping the latter match altogether and give Goeido some well-performing maegashira instead...?

I think they've proven in recent years that they don't care one bit how the top-ranked rikishi are doing, they are going to follow the patterns based on rank, meaning the highest rank rikishi gets his second Komusubi opponent last.  Similarly, I fully expect Ichinojo to face the Ozeki after Mitakeumi.  I'd love to be wrong though.

I don't think it's more likely than not that they'll skip Shohozan-Goeido, but I won't be terribly surprised if it happens.  Maybe they'll leave it an additional day and start the S v O matches?

• Like 1

Be sure to check out color sumo's latest caricature on kyujo yokozuna

OK. At this point, I bet on Asanoyama. We'll see… :-D

• Haha 1

Endo, Mitakeumi and Asanoyama. Three different crops of  new generation promises from almost exactly 2 years apart each(Endo debuted in maegashira at Aki 2013, Mitakeumi Kyushu 2015 and Asanoyama at Aki 2017) are doing great this basho, nice to see how all of it is unfolding. Endo is 3\3 against Mitakeumi and is 2\0 against Asanoyama, Mitakeumi and Asanoyama have yet to meet.

How crazy would it be if a 3-way playoff between them happened? (Laughing...)

Edited by Joaoiyama

10 minutes ago, Joaoiyama said:

How crazy would it be if a 3-way playoff between them happened? (Laughing...)

One word - Takayasu.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

One word - Takayasu.

Just let me dream for an underdog yusho:'-(

46 minutes ago, Joaoiyama said:

Just let me dream for an underdog yusho:'-(

Or the second hiramaku yusho in six months.

8 hours ago, Asojima said:

It is amazing that no one has mentioned that Endo got a "pretty boy" torinaoshi decision after he used his dead body to drag his heel across 1/3  part of the dohyo. >:-(

I know why people keep bringing calls like this up, drag the heel or top of toes, but they are simply not calling these anymore. If the touch is from a rollover from the bottom of the foot during a move they are not calling that. 

Ichinojo-Takakeisho looked like what Abbott and Costello would look like if they did sumo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

One word - Takayasu.

Yes, at this point, despite Mitakeumi's record, I'd put Takayasu as the favorite to take the yusho. I'm pretty sure whoever wins won't have more than 12 wins. Mitakeumi looks great but he also looks a little more winded after each match. No way he beats both Ozeki and Ichinojo. I could see him losing 2 out of 3 to them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rocks said:

Yes, at this point, despite Mitakeumi's record, I'd put Takayasu as the favorite to take the yusho. I'm pretty sure whoever wins won't have more than 12 wins. Mitakeumi looks great but he also looks a little more winded after each match. No way he beats both Ozeki and Ichinojo. I could see him losing 2 out of 3 to them.

In his most recent meetings, Mitakeumi has lost to Takayasu six times in a row, has exchanged wins with Goeido, and has defeated Ichinojo in their last two meetings.  So as you and others are saying, Takayasu is Mitakeumi's biggest threat at this point and may well end up with the championship.  But I would say that Mitakeumi has a decent chance against Goeido and Ichinojo.  The main obstacle for him going forward is the pressure and nerves.  Hopefully, he can channel his sparring buddy, Tochinoshin, and pull off a championship, even if he ends up losing to Takayasu.  

Keep in mind, my early predictions are never accurate. ;-)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

In his most recent meetings, Mitakeumi has lost to Takayasu six times in a row, has exchanged wins with Goeido, and has defeated Ichinojo in their last two meetings.  So as you and others are saying, Takayasu is Mitakeumi's biggest threat at this point and may well end up with the championship.  But I would say that Mitakeumi has a decent chance against Goeido and Ichinojo.  The main obstacle for him going forward is the pressure and nerves.  Hopefully, he can channel his sparring buddy, Tochinoshin, and pull off a championship, even if he ends up losing to Takayasu.  

Keep in mind, my early predictions are never accurate. ;-)

I'm open for anybody to win at this point. Mitakeumi's biggest issue is he loses in bunches. People bring up January and his second half fade but he also lost 5 in a row in March. His biggest issue is not how many he'll lose but when he loses the first time.

• Like 1

Goeido kept his cool but was pretty lucky against kagayaki. Was really hoping that kagayaki got all those big fat envelopes but maybe next time he will get those. 

Mitakeumi looks so focused.  I know he has a tendency to lose stamina and focus towards the end but he does look the goods! 

Looking like some good future stars and rivals coming through sandanme. We all know about the rivalry with Naya and houshouryuu but what about kototebakari and Naya. These guys are going to keep us entertained in the near future! 

• Like 1

Today the shinpan must have been whistling "take me to the matta-door..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That was such a hairy moment (excuse the pun) for Takayasu today, but he should be safe now. But for Goeido? The rollercoaster ride continues......

As much as I like Takakeisho, it was difficult to watch Yoshikaze going 0-9, things are just not working for him at the moment. An injury maybe?

• Like 1

Abi narrowly avoided a very tasty slap to the chops when Chiyonokuni matta’d. Still ended up in the front row though. 

Goiedo and Takayasu both showed some great athleticism to get out of their very different situations on the bales. Goiedo needed strength to resist the throw, while Takayasu had to be twinkle-toed as he danced out the way.

Mitakeumi still the man to beat, but Tochiozan is starting to make his stealthy move up to join the yusho race as I predicted. 

Day 9

Aw, bless! The NHK broadcast is sending Yoshikaze a sweet "ganbatte!" by rerunning two of his victories from the archives: one over Hakuhō and the other over Harumafuji.

*wistful sigh*

• Sad 1

On 7/12/2018 at 20:21, Amamaniac said:

I fully agree with your assessment.  But I think we can all agree that Hakuho's days of dominance are over.  He won't be winning the most annual wins title ever again IMHO.

I also agree, but I'm not so certain he won't win the most annual tournaments ever again. He could easily come back and win 2 of the remaining 3 to tie Kakuryo for 2018. He's one of the fiercest competitors I've seen in any sport, savvy, understands his own body... Not to be counted out, although he's not looked good this year so far.