Sign in to follow this  
Chojin

How is everybody going to spend the day watching Day 1?

Now that the honbasho kicks off tomorrow, was just wondering what people do and how they watch?

i will be watching live from my lounge room on my big screen TV with a bunch of my friends drinking sake. Loads of food and discussing all things Sumo! 

As always there is no better day!

• Like 2

The matches finish up here around 3 AM. So, as always, I will be relying on the mercy of others to upload videos onto youtube. (Please!?...)

I am lucky there is only a one hour time difference. So watching it live is easy for me. 

I like to watch day 1 and 15 with friends or family. But the fact is I actually prefer watching it alone on the other days. It gives me the time to focus ! 

I will spend the day avoiding this forum and other sources of spoilers until I've had the opportunity to watch Kintamayama's digest on YouTube. ;-)

• Like 7

Alarm is set to 8:50 pm, kill alarm, boot PC, switch on TV, start stream. Don't even have to stand up. Sounds better than it is, it's still bloody early on a sunday.

• Like 1

Due to the time difference It's on at breakfast time here. I've tried to watch it then but it just isnt right so I will watch the highlights in the evening

I watch Day 1 and every day after it the same way. The NHK broadcast begins at midnight in Los Angeles, so  I record it on my DVR and watch it on the following day. And like Rabid John, I avoid looking at this forum or any other source of sumo information until I've seen the results on TV. 

This usually works very well but occasionally, it may not. There was one basho that Hakuho won on the last day and I had not yet seen senshuraku on TV. I was looking at the ESPN website (which never covers sumo) and I saw a story at the bottom of the page titled "Hakuho wins sumo tournament". Since then, until I know the results, I have avoided watching ESPN as well. :-(

• Thanks 1

Weekend days are, perhaps surprisingly, more difficult for me to watch due to family responsibilities. On weekdays though I usually put the QQ feed on my phone and watch it out the corner of my eye at my desk at work. Sumo is perfect for it as I only need to look for a few seconds at a time and then go back to my computer screen.

Same routine for 10-13 days.  Check for streaming availability, update the SF streaming topic, go to bed and check Moti's videos the next morning.

1 hour ago, sekitori said:

And like Rabid John, I avoid looking at this forum or any other source of sumo information until I've seen the results on TV. 

That's one I thing I never understood. It doesn't take anything away from me if I know the result before actually watching. But since this attitude is widely spread, it must be me who is deviant.

• Like 2

Sleeping when it starts. I tried getting up early and latching on to some stream, but that was a very frustrating exercise soon abandoned.
I "watch" the NSK "Matches and results" page, then watch Kintamayama's video in the evening, finish a page in my sumo diary, maybe with some drawings from video stills.

@Jakusotsu then we're both deviants. Knowing the result doesn't detract from the experience. I get two types of thrill: learning about the results, then later the thrill of seeing how it had been done.

Edited by orandashoho

@orandashoho Hehe. I knew we had more in common than it looks like. If only you could enjoy a beer with me. ;-)

3 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

@orandashoho Hehe. I knew we had more in common than it looks like. If only you could enjoy a beer with me. ;-)

@Jakusotsu Hehe.  I don't begrudge anyone enjoying a pint or two (or five), but each his own. Tea is my drink.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Get a room. B-)

Well, her room was just across the corridor two weeks ago, but she still didn't want my beer. B-)

The main action is usually on when I'm going to bed, so I wait until the next morning and watch on Youtube.

I download Mbovo's videos as soon as they have been streamed, and also watch his live stream on the notebook in my dining kitchen while preparing breakfast. The only spoiler for me is the complaining about spoilers.

• Haha 1

It depends on whether I'm capable of waking up early enough to catch it live. In my timezone it should be around 9:00 AM (16:00 in Japan, not sure when coverage starts). But I think I won't make that because I'm incredibly lazy, so I'll just turn on my stream and watch it whenever I do wake up.

Makuuchi starts around 2am my time, so the plan is to load up on irish coffee and power through.

1 hour ago, dada78641 said:

It depends on whether I'm capable of waking up early enough to catch it live. In my timezone it should be around 9:00 AM (16:00 in Japan, not sure when coverage starts). But I think I won't make that because I'm incredibly lazy, so I'll just turn on my stream and watch it whenever I do wake up.

The thing is, I want to follow what happens in the lower divisions too. The amazing talent of Hattorizakura to avoid victory, the rise of up-and-coming youngsters through the ranks, the struggles of the fallen ex-sekitori, the fierce contest in the Makushita joi -- I want to see it all, but sadly I also need to be rested before going to work.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Benihana said:

Alarm is set to 8:50 pm, kill alarm, boot PC, switch on TV, start stream. Don't even have to stand up. Sounds better than it is, it's still bloody early on a sunday.

Same... but unfortunately only on weekends... during workdays I have to rely on Moti ;-)

Makuuchi starts about 4am for me.. And almost light out in east coast so I plan to watch plenty live... I normally get up 5am... Then scourer YouTube for lower division and for the usually later recaps especially from our own Kita ... And NHK highlights 

5 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

It doesn't take anything away from me if I know the result before actually watching.

If it is worth my time to watch, spoilers won't matter.