Pandaazuma

Mukade Beya (Formerly STI) Sumo Gaming Banter Thread

KK for Jezz. Not much else to report. Humdrum stuff by the Centipedes, albeit with large dollops of bad luck.

Day 12:

Rank    Record Points AADs Opp AADs 10 8+ 5- TB TB+ Who? SG shikona
EY1 7-5 73-72 7 6 0 2 3 4 3 Simon Pandaazuma
WS1 5-7 71-72 5 6 0 2 6 2 1 Gary Chocshoporyu
ES2 6-6 80-79 7 9 0 1 3 3 2 Stefan Sagi
WM2 5-7 77-76 9 7 0 3 4 4 0 Douglas ScreechingOwl
EM4 3-9 74-82 6 11 0 3 5 5 1 Alexander Ganzohnesushi
WM4 4-8 73-79 6 9 0 2 4 1 0 Rupert Rupatengu
WM12 8-4 78-71 9 6 0 5 3 4 2 Miyako Chankoyama
EM13 7-5 78-77 7 7 1 4 4 4 3 Sergio Chishafuwaku
WJ1 6-6 77-76 7 8 0 3 6 6 3 Unko Unkonoyama
WJ4 7-5 76-77 7 8 0 2 4 4 3 Mark Fujiyama
Wms3 7-5 78-74 8 5 0 3 3 3 2 Steve Chelseayama
Ems8 8-4 72-67 6 4 0 2 4 2 2 Ronnie Gawasukotto
Ems23 7-5 74-71 6 5 1 4 6 2 1 Dustin Domichi
Ems30 6-6 76-78 7 9 0 4 5 7 4 QB Kaito
Ems35 8-4 68-62 6 2 0 1 3 1 1 Jezz Jejima
Wms47 7-5 77-73 8 5 0 2 3 6 3 Ama Amakaze
  • Like 1

LOL! I was actually shaking my head last night at the torikumi knowing full well I would have a disaster today. SG was a guaranteed loss as my system only gave seven viable picks from the whole torikumi, meaning I had to pick three from either idiots (Ichinojo, Mitakeumi) or strong lads in difficult bouts (Waka). I even changed Hoku (a win) to Waka (a loss) but I would have lost anyway thanks to Teru. Both of these types of bouts are usually avoided but I had no choice. Naturally all three of these lost. This has been the story every day and it explains why my scoring has been so abysmal. Just hoping to crawl over the finish line basically.

Amazingly I won the important dailies - Quad, Toto and TTT. The others are write-offs apart from SG so it matters not at this stage. Just hoping to sneak KKs in those. The pre-basho wasn't great but I kind of held position, which was the best I could hope for on a day like this.

Lost more and more ground on the last few days, but a few strong results will compensate a bit. In detail:

Dailies

• Chain out on day 1 - after slipping from #1 to #3 in the ranking already last time I will surely drop out of the Top 10. Meh.
  • Odd - after a small win on day 12 I'm not far away from the KK line. Would be happy with 8-7.
  • ISP 3-9 - At least the downward trend is stopped since two days.
  • SG 3-9 - Not that I'm picking very well this Basho but having AAD opponents on 11/12 days is insane. While Makuuchi average is at 75,1 my daily opponents scored 82 points. 
  • BS 7-5 - winning streak was stopped today but 7-5 after 1-4 I need just one mor win for KK.
  • S4 5-7 - Three hard days to come...
  • TTT 10-2 - Sitting in the drivers seat. 2 wins ahead plus better TB. Excellent position for my 3rd Yusho in this game.
  • Toto 6-6 - comedy on Day 11 when my picks did not come through and I forgot to check my confirmation mails. In the end I would be glad with 8-7.
  • DST - was co-leader after Day 6. 2 x 0 on days 9 and 10 and I'm back to average.

Pre-Basho

• JG – shared #28, what looked promising in the first few days is just average now.
  • POG - ranked #21, Kotoshogiku returning and not going kyujo again costs me better ranking and a few SB masters points.
  • OBG - ranked #22. Not far behind but I don't expect any SB masters points.
  • NC - #4 after Day 11, but I'll get no points for Yusho. Potential for SB masters points.
  • UDH - #1 after Day 10, 9 points ahead. Scored solid 27 points on Days 11 +12 each, i.e. I should not lose too much ground. My 3rd UDH Yusho seems possible.
  • TH - ranked #10. Potential for SB masters points.
  • RS - lost ground and dropped to MK territory as #46.
  • SCS - shared #6. A Tobizaru Yusho would be nice... (Laughing...)  Potential for SB masters points.
  • S-O - still a bit early, but here is some hope for a few SB masters points.

Best chances in TTT and UDH, I should finish somewhere between 35 and 55 SB masters points.

Ganzohnesushi

Does anyone have a good link to get information on withdrawals from the basho (English preferred, but I would take a Japanese source)? I was the only person in the top 15 in TTT to not pick the fusen winners/losers. It was because I was unaware of Terunofuji and Chiyotairyu were both pulling out of the basho. If I had access to such news it would definitely improve my performance slightly in games.

19 minutes ago, Domichi said:

Does anyone have a good link to get information on withdrawals from the basho (English preferred, but I would take a Japanese source)? I was the only person in the top 15 in TTT to not pick the fusen winners/losers. It was because I was unaware of Terunofuji and Chiyotairyu were both pulling out of the basho. If I had access to such news it would definitely improve my performance slightly in games.

Try this: http://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/absence/

• Thanks 1

Day 13:

EY1 7-6 79-78 8 7 0 2 3 5 3 Simon Pandaazuma
WS1 6-7 77-78 6 7 0 2 6 3 2 Gary Chocshoporyu
ES2 7-6 88-85 8 10 0 2 3 3 2 Stefan Sagi
WM2 5-8 80-82 9 8 0 3 5 4 0 Douglas ScreechingOwl
EM4 4-9 80-87 7 11 0 3 5 5 1 Alexander Ganzohnesushi
WM4 5-8 79-82 7 9 0 2 4 1 0 Rupert Rupatengu
WM12 9-4 82-74 9 6 0 5 4 4 2 Miyako Chankoyama
EM13 7-6 83-83 7 8 1 4 5 4 3 Sergio Chishafuwaku
WJ1 6-7 82-83 7 9 0 3 7 6 3 Unko Unkonoyama
WJ4 8-5 84-84 8 9 0 3 4 4 3 Mark Fujiyama
Wms3 8-5 84-78 9 5 0 3 3 3 2 Steve Chelseayama
Ems8 9-4 79-73 7 5 0 2 4 2 2 Ronnie Gawasukotto
Ems23 8-5 77-74 6 5 1 4 7 3 2 Dustin Domichi
Ems30 7-6 81-82 7 9 0 4 6 7 4 QB Kaito
Ems35 8-5 74-69 7 3 0 1 3 1 1 Jezz Jejima
Wms47 8-5 83-75 9 5 0 2 3 6 3 Ama Amakaze

I'm like the worst tinkerer ever. Could've had another quad win but I changed the 4th pick from Kiribayama to Onosho and the lads blew a 2-0 start. Grrr.

As the basho descends into total unpredictability, my games also collapse. The dailies are just a sick joke now - can't pick at all in this environment. Picking systems are meaningless so I would do better picking at random, I suspect. To make things worse, the pre-basho games have been heavily damaged by the Terunofuji withdrawal - will probably cost me a lot of Masters points in the end. I am around the edges of the top ten in several games but unless senshuraku is absolutely amazing for my lads, I'll end up with nothing. So it looks like I'm back to aiming for 1 Masters point after all. A real rollercoaster basho. Started terribly. Came back brilliantly. Absolutely collapsed at the end. Naturally Norizo has just kept winning his dailies and he looks the red-hot favourite for the title, I'd say. The Teru withdrawal hasn't affected him at all as his points are ALL in the dailies. All I can do now is hope for an excellent senshuraku and a Panda blowout win in Kyushu. Can't see that happening with the current sumo level though. I mean...it is woeful right now. I don't remember sumo being this poor. Tobizaru leading on day 13?? Give me a break! Tokushoryu yusho the other basho??  Hahaha. I mean, I like these lads having a go but let's not pretend this is anything but abysmal right now. Shodai and Asanoyama have been good, especially the former. Chiyonokuni and my fave Akiseyama have been cheering me up in Juryo. But otherwise...nah! Wake me up when we get a couple of decent Yokozunae in maybe five years or so!

Edited by Pandaazuma

And the final bit of comedy! One below the line in Toto! Hohohoho! ;) Sums the year up really!

6 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

... To make things worse, the pre-basho games have been heavily damaged by the Terunofuji withdrawal - will probably cost me a lot of Masters points in the end.

Do you really think you are the only one? Terunofuji was my topkick in almost ALL pre basho games (except UDH of course) and I'm sure there are one or even two dozen other players in the same situation. Yes, we all lost points compared to those who didn't have picked Teru in the top positions but I believe in the end the effect is much smaller than you assume.

Best of luck for Senshuraku!

Ganzohnesushi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ganzohnesushi said:

Do you really think you are the only one? Terunofuji was my topkick in almost ALL pre basho games (except UDH of course) and I'm sure there are one or even two dozen other players in the same situation. Yes, we all lost points compared to those who didn't have picked Teru in the top positions but I believe in the end the effect is much smaller than you assume.

Best of luck for Senshuraku!

Ganzohnesushi

Not sure why I always have to end up explaining things to you! I suspect you think I am some kind of moron or something! Lol...not far wrong! ;) Of course I am perfectly well aware of this fact. My point here is that my position in the pre-basho games is absolutely marginal - as in right on the edge of the top ten in most of them. Teru was my (and several other people's) top pick of course, but there are some around me who DIDN'T have him as their top pick but at a lower prority. That small discrepancy normally would make no difference, but in this case it means I will likely miss out on small change in five or six pre-basho games - I reckon about 15-20 points could be lost. Oracle especially I may lose a lot of points as I have him on 11 (same as you). I reckon he would have got ten so Choshu-Yuki, for example will go from a differential of -1 to +3 and this will be reflected elsewhere too. Other players who had him will either be already established in the top ten or nowhere near it where it would make almost no difference at all. You also seem to think I am complaining or something - I genuinely am not. Simply stating a fact.

As for Kotononami! Hahahahahahahahahaa...thanks for the laugh! I bloody need it these days with all the endless bullshit I see and read everywhere.

Chisha, QB got KKs today. Quite a few 7-7s. Sorry the commentary and stats have been late/erratic. Very little time these days.

Day 14:

EY1 7-7 84-84 8 8 0 2 4 5 3 Simon Pandaazuma
WS1 7-7 83-83 7 7 0 2 6 3 2 Gary Chocshoporyu
ES2 7-7 92-90 8 10 0 2 4 3 2 Stefan Sagi
WM2 6-8 86-87 10 8 0 3 5 4 0 Douglas ScreechingOwl
EM4 4-10 85-93 7 12 0 3 6 5 1 Alexander Ganzohnesushi
WM4 5-9 82-86 7 9 0 2 5 1 0 Rupert Rupatengu
WM12 9-5 87-81 9 7 0 5 5 4 2 Miyako Chankoyama
EM13 8-6 90-87 8 8 1 4 5 4 3 Sergio Chishafuwaku
WJ1 7-7 89-88 8 9 0 3 7 6 3 Unko Unkonoyama
WJ4 8-6 89-90 8 10 0 3 5 4 3 Mark Fujiyama
Wms3 8-6 89-94 9 6 0 3 4 3 2 Steve Chelseayama
Ems8 10-4 86-79 8 6 0 2 4 2 2 Ronnie Gawasukotto
Ems23 9-5 84-80 7 6 1 4 7 3 2 Dustin Domichi
Ems30 8-6 86-87 7 9 0 4 7 8 5 QB Kaito
Ems35 8-6 79-75 7 4 0 1 4 1 1 Jezz Jejima
Wms47 9-5 89-79 10 5 0 2 3 6 3 Ama Amakaze

32 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

Not sure why I always have to end up explaining things to you!

No need to explain anything, I know exactly what you mean here as I'm more or less in the same situation. But your whining/complaining or whatever it should be really reminded me of that Weini from Belgium playing Sumo games some 10 years ago - Vikanohara  (Neener,neener...)

Ganzohnesushi

Just now, Ganzohnesushi said:

No need to explain anything, I know exactly what you mean here as I'm more or less in the same situation. But your whining/complaining or whatever it should be really reminded me of that Weini from Belgium playing Sumo games some 10 years ago - Vikanohara  (Neener,neener...)

Ganzohnesushi

If you think this is complaining, you genuinely don't understand my character. I can see why you think it is, but I am the type who simply states facts uncaring of how it comes across. You can think what you like but I know perfectly well that I am not bemoaning my situation - simply explaining what is happening. It's a bit disappointing that you have chosen to be so unfriendly and insulting without bothering to check, but there you go. Sign of the times, I guess. And now I know.

It was not my intention to be unfriendly or even insulting. Not at all. But it seems you didn't get my first statement that the effect is much smaller than you might assume. I might lose a couple of SB masters points points also (e.g. Oracle, Salarycap, Hoshitori) and so do others. And believe me, I randomly checked this. So while you think you might lose 15-20 points I guess the effect will be in the area of 5-10 points only. 

Ganzohnesushi

Unremarkable basho overall, I really need to work on my pre-basho games. I think I'll start playing a new pre-basho game next basho, to help my chances of doing well in at least one of them.

Pre-Basho

• Salary Cap - Literally came in dead last 60/60. I learned that I don't necessarily need to pick 10 rikishi, which may help me next basho. Having Kakuryu as my 10x definitely didn't help.
  • Juryo Game - 66/69, always perform very badly in this game. Most of my analysis is of Makuuchi only, meaning I need to broaden it to include Juryo to ever hope to do well here.
  • Roto - 73/86, a surprisingly very bad performance. This is a game I can hope to score masters' points in at least once a year.
  • GTB - 4/11, par for the course

Daily

• Chain - Day 1 failure
  • ISP - 6-9
  • Bench - 7-8, I'm happy considering half my team was kyujo by the end of the tournament. Hoping to bounce back in November.
  • Toto - 8-7, first time playing this game, so I'm pleased with a kachi-koshi. I went 0-5 to start before I realized I was the only player not picking ~1/3 of the bouts. I went 8-2 subsequent to learning that.
  • Sumo Game - 9-6, I haven't had two back to back make-koshi since 2014* and I'm pleased that trend continued. (*I took a break playing from 2015-2018 (Laughing...))
  • TTT - 9-6 and a fighting-spirit prize! I finished 7th overall, would have been 3rd if I followed kyujos like the other participants. Very happy here.

1 hour ago, Ganzohnesushi said:

Is this thread dead?

Ganzohnesushi

obviously not

• Haha 1

Here is a quick and dirty update using the last roster posted. I don't have a very sophisticated way to easily get the statistics Panda does unfortunately. I can only pull records from the banzuke page.

image.png.dd0b275677a415068625b37f1621bd29.png

Edited by Domichi
  • Like 1

Hello all. Long time no see.

I don't see a Games Talk thread so I will post here. Obviously I have missed the last couple basho and will miss this one. I hope to start playing again in January, if not some time next year. I have put in for Kyujo for Sumo Game and will try to do that or Kosho for the rest. I don't really care about rank. I expect to be at the very bottom in everything.

I just want to maintain my login as active so if their are any game runners seeing this please don't delete me yet.

Thanks and Good luck to all playing,

Rocks

• Like 1

Inspired by Dustin’s pre-nakabi post and in recognition of all the efforts over the years that Simon has put into this, I’ve updated the marks for my fellow centipedes through day 12. Several items are noteworthy: first of all, no 10s. Not just from us, but from anyone. Maybe someday we’ll properly appreciate all tsunami-like effect that Hakuho has had on not only sumo but also sumo gaming. Maybe.

Although the centipedians have 18 human legs in the top division, no one as of yet has a leg up on kachi koshi and three of us are make koshi. Ouch! Fujiyama will be visiting the second division in January and Sagi and Chocshoporyu need two and three wins, respectively, to remain in the sanyaku. On a happier note, Unkonoyama will be promoted to the top division in January, and is a co-leader for the Juryo yusho, and Amakaze is a co-leader to grab the yusho in Makushita. Bring home the certificates, lads!

One of the many things which fascinates me about sumo is how it isn’t fair. Maybe most sports aren’t, but sumo seems to be so to an even greater degree. Is there any other sports where owner/managers act as judges, even on their own players? (That’s a rhetorical question – I certainly hope there aren't.) Well, nowhere is gaming is this unfairness better reflected than in the two head-to-head games, SG and Bench. Alexander and Stephan are scoring at blistering rates, 85 and 84 points, respectively (far more, it should be noted, than any top division gamer with 9 or 8 wins) and yet to date neither has a winning record. Both have faced tough competition, and Alexander has had the misfortune of losing six of his eight ties. I haven’t played impressively but have benefited from softer competition. Ah well, the shoe has been on the other foot.

Okay, we are down to the last three days, crunch time. Let’s start piling up those kk’s or at least softening our falls. Good luck to everyone over the remaining days. Gambare!

SG Shikona       Real Name  Rank                         Record   Points   Ties    Ties Won

Pandaazuma     Simon         Yokozuna E               6-6       78-78        7          4

Sagi                     Stefan         Sekiwake E               5-7       84-84        3          1

Chocshoporyu   Gary            Sekiwake W              4-8       81-84        6          2

ScreechingOwl  Douglas      Maegashira 4E         7-5       75-75        4          3

Rupantengu       Rupert         Maegashira 8E         7-5       79-82        5          4

Chankoyama     Miyako        Maegashira W10      7-5       83-84        1          1

Chishafuwaka    Sergio         Maegashira E11       2-10     72-85        2          1

Gonzohnesushi Alexander   Maegashira W11      6-6       85-81        8          2

Fujiyama            Mark            Maegashira W16      3-9       75-79         1          0

Unkonoyama     Unkown       Juryo W2                   9-3       80-71         3          1

Gawasukotto                          Juryo E13                  7-5       81-75         3          1

Chelseayama    Steve            Juryo W13                6-6       75-75          4          2

Domichi             Dustin          Makushita W18        8-4       76-69          4          2

Kaito                  QB                 Makushita W26        8-4       80-76          4          3

Jejima                Jejima          Makushita E33         6-6       78-80          4          3

Amakaze           Ama              Makushita E40         10-2     81-68          2          0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, the senshuraku smoke has cleared, and things look a little better for a number of the centipedes. Omedeto to Ama who overcame a final day loss to finish 12-3 and claim the Makushita yusho on tie-breakers. Congratulations also to Dustin, QB and Jejima for gaining kachi kochi.

In Juryo, kudos go to Unkonoyama for finishing 10-5 and gaining a jun-yusho and promotion to Makuuchi. In the top division, Miyako (10-5!), Rupert, and yours truly got their kk. It was tougher sledding for everyone else: losing a tie on the final day makes Simon a soft kadoban. Sagi will likely drop to komusubi while Gary will join the rest of us in the rank-and-file. Another shout out goes to Alexander, who played better than any of us, gaining 104 points, but had the misfortune to have his aite play even stronger, with an unreal 110.

For those of us in the states, enjoy Thanksgiving. And for everyone, best wishes for a relaxing end of the year and a healthy and joyful holiday season. I hope to see you all again at Aki.

SG Shikona        Real Name    Rank                         Record   Points             Ties      Ties Won

Pandaazuma     Simon            Yokozuna E               7-8          97-97               10        5

Sagi                     Stefan            Sekiwake E               7-8          103-103           4          2

Chocshoporyu   Gary               Sekiwake W              5-10        99-103             8          3

ScreechingOwl  Douglas         Maegashira 4E         9-6          94-93               4          3

Rupantengu       Rupert            Maegashira 8E         9-6          99-100             6          5

Chankoyama     Miyako           Maegashira W10      10-5       102-102           3          3

Chishafuwaka   Sergio            Maegashira E11         5-10      92-101             3          2

Gonzohnesushi Alexander      Maegashira W11       7-8        104-110           9          3

Fujiyama            Mark               Maegashira W16       4-11       91-98               2          0

Unkonoyama     Unkown         Juryo W2                    10-5        96-89               3          1

Gawasukotto                            Juryo E13                    7-8         97-94               4          1

Chelseayama    Steve              Juryo W13                  7-8         94-95               5          2

Domichi             Dustin             Makushita W18         9-6         92-89               6          3

Kaito                  QB                   Makushita W26         10-5       100-94             4          3

Jejima                Jejima            Makushita E33           8-7        93-91               5          3

Amakaze           Ama               Makushita E40           12-3       99-93               3          1

Edited by ScreechingOwl
Correct the point total of Unkonoyama's aite.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, 110 points against is pretty unfair. 104 wasn't just better than us, but better than anybody.

Overall, another unremarkable basho. Managed a kachi-koshi in SG, Bench, and TTT, but performed notably poor in pre-basho games.