Pandaazuma

Mukade Beya (Formerly STI) Sumo Gaming Banter Thread

16 hours ago, Kaito said:

I'm a little annoyed I tinkered with my SG picks with 5 minutes left and changed a winner into Takakeisho, even though it just means I would've lost 9-9 again. If I'm gonna do well and get really unlucky, I want to do it all the way.

In Bench, I'm thinking yusho.

Spoken like a true Centipede! Welcome indeed!

Let me know your first name for the stats table.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

And amazingly I beat Ganzo in an embarrassing 4-4 draw. 6-6 now. I've been rubbish this basho so it would be highly amusing if I won this cup and Ganzo wins the yusho! I don't think Ganzo would mind that so much! ;)

I would be very pleased if I get both trophies, Yusho in Sumo Game plus Dödel-Cup (Laughing...)

Ganzohnesushi

Edited by Ganzohnesushi
typo

8 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

Spoken like a true Centipede! Welcome indeed!

Let me know your first name for the stats table.

Well, friends call me QB.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Unkonoyama said:

Sad to see the Owl give up in toto 

Being Ozeki kadoban, he has already started his recovery (SpookyTVprogram...) instead of getting more injured ...(Carriedawayonastretcher...)

Today was a mix of everything. In DST I scored again way below average, thus the KK-line is meanwhile 20+ points away. Horrible. S4 gambit did not work well today, but at 8-5 I'm fine ith that. Kaisei screwed me in Odd. Went over the line in Toto just with the musubi no ichiban to get 7-6. ISP is 8-5 now but it is too early to celebrate KK as most likely banzuke maker will deduct at least one win. Nice win in TTT to get 6-7. A fraction of 1 SB masters point seems possible here. Win in Bench, i.e. immediate return to Makuuchi after securing kk today. And another nice win in Sumo Game (9-4 now) where I'm hot on the heels of the current leader. Pre-basho games all might end somewhere between 9-6 and 6-9. Realistic chances for SB masters points only in Juryo Game.

So my hopes are on SG, JG, S4 and TTT. 20 points would be nice, anything beyond superb. And I need just one more win to ensure the Dödel-Cup goes to Simon.

Ganzohnesushi

Posted (edited)

Terrible night. How the heck I won in the H2Hs I have no idea.

Edited by Rocks

13 minutes ago, Rocks said:

How the heck on won in the H2Hs I have no idea.

It is not so difficult at all. 50% of all players have won  :-P

Ganzohnesushi

• Like 1

More awful luck for the Owl as he lost his sixth out of sixth TB! Astounding. Ganzo is one win behind Sumio. His score remains decent so he has a real chance. Well done to Gary and Dustin today for securing what looks to be this basho a rare KK. Ronnie and Panda slipped abjectly to an eighth loss.

Day 13:

Rank    Record Points AADs Opp AADs 10 8+ 5- TB TB+ Who? SG shikona
EY1 5-8 84-89 8 10 0 6 5 3 1 Simon Pandaazuma
WS1 4-9 91-89 11 11 0 4 2 6 0 Douglas ScreechingOwl
EM1 6-7 83-86 8 8 0 3 4 4 2 Stefan Sagi
WM2 7-6 86-85 8 8 0 3 2 3 2 Jan Kuroimori
WM3 8-5 89-89 10 8 0 6 3 5 5 Gary Chocshoporyu
WM4 6-7 81-83 6 8 0 4 4 2 0 Miyako Chankoyama
WM6 7-6 86-83 8 8 0 4 3 7 2 Rupert Rupatengu
EM7 Kyujo 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Scott Haidouzo
WM7 9-4 91-82 11 6 0 6 2 4 2 Alexander Ganzohnesushi
WM15 4-9 86-89 8 8 0 3 1 5 1 Unko Unkonoyama
WJ1 6-7 87-83 7 5 0 4 3 3 0 Sergio Chishafuwaku
EJ7 5-8 80-81 5 5 0 1 3 3 0 Mark Fujiyama
EJ11 Kyujo 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Eric Sebunshu
Ems1 5-8 78-80 5 5 0 3 5 8 3 Ronnie Gawasukotto
Wms1 6-7 83-81 8 6 0 3 3 5 1 Steve Chelseayama
Wms2 7-6 84-80 8 6 0 5 4 4 1 Rocks Gansekiiwa
Wms22 8-5 85-79 8 5 0 4 3 2 2 Dustin Domichi
Wms37 7-6 84-79 9 4 0 2 3 4 1 Steve Kurowashi
Wms39 7-6 82-80 7 7 0 4 4 3 3 Jezz Jejima

I tried...I really did...but the last couple of days I could barely watch the bouts. Purely functional picking at this stage and I can't wait to get it over with. Sumo without fans really is not for me! I think another problem is the quality of sumo. Apart from the two Yokozuna (who are way past their best) and maybe Asanoyama, the current crop are average at best. I like the honest, forward ones like Takanosho but such are few and far between. I actually enjoy the lower divisions far more these days. At least you get to see half decent bouts.

Unsurprisingly it was another awful day. I can't even remember which ones I won. Maybe none of them. I think I still have chances in Tipspiel and TTT. Oracle looks a likely yusho. And small change in Juryo. The rest...I wouldn't like to look! Probably awful, given half my teams are injured, kyujo or have turned to utter rubbish since last basho.

And as for our cup, Ganzo...I'll be happy to take possession of it (probably tomorrow). After my worst ever basho, I think I deserve it. ;)

GAMBARIMASU!

Ganzo did the business and Sumio lost as well so he is now in a three-way tie along with Kibooyama. Sumio and Kibo fight each other tomorrow so Ganzo HAS TO beat Komusubi Bolo. That's step one. He will then win yusho if Sumio loses. If Sumio wins, Ganzo has to get a higher score that Sumio. He has a decent chance. To my mind, Bolo is the biggest hurdle there. Talented player.

Stop the press! Owl won a tie-break! Meanwhile Gary won his sixth out of six.

Rupert and Jezz went KK, as did Rocks, who should be OK for promotion but he will want to make sure tomorrow.

Day 14:

EY1 5-9 89-94 8 10 0 6 6 4 1 Simon Pandaazuma
WS1 5-9 97-95 12 12 0 4 2 7 1 Douglas ScreechingOwl
EM1 7-7 88-89 8 8 0 3 5 4 2 Stefan Sagi
WM2 7-7 93-92 9 9 0 3 2 4 2 Jan Kuroimori
WM3 9-5 95-95 1 9 0 6 3 6 6 Gary Chocshoporyu
WM4 6-8 84-88 6 8 0 4 5 2 0 Miyako Chankoyama
WM6 8-6 91-87 8 8 0 4 4 7 2 Rupert Rupatengu
WM7 10-4 96-86 11 6 0 6 3 4 2 Alexander Ganzohnesushi
WM15 5-9 94-94 9 8 0 4 1 5 1 Unko Unkonoyama
WJ1 6-8 92-91 7 6 0 4 4 3 0 Sergio Chishafuwaku
EJ7 6-8 88-85 6 5 0 2 3 3 0 Mark Fujiyama
Ems1 6-8 86-87 6 6 0 4 5 8 3 Ronnie Gawasukotto
Wms1 6-8 86-86 8 6 0 3 4 5 1 Steve Chelseayama
Wms2 8-6 91-84 9 6 0 5 4 4 1 Rocks Gansekiiwa
Wms22 8-6 89-84 8 5 0 4 4 2 2 Dustin Domichi
Wms37 7-7 88-84 9 4 0 2 4 4 1 Steve Kurowashi
Wms39 8-6 88-86 8 8 0 4 4 4 4 Jezz Jejima

Another day of horrors. Yamashiro is an absolute genius at pulling off miracle comebacks against me and today was no different. Astounding. He must have done that about seven times now. Considering how awful today was, I actually did OK overall. Won Toto to keep KK alive and ISP for 10-4. Consolation win in Bench. Went for a ridiculous Odd Sumo bet and just needed that muppet Aoiyama to henka Hakuho and I would have been golden. Lost TTT as Daishomaru inexplicably became good as Midorifuji inexplicably went to absolute shit. Story of my basho that. Anyway, that small change is gone now. The only good thing was a surprising result in Tipspiel, where my 8 points put me back in the mix for yusho. Still need a lucky day though.

Pre-basho is a similar tale of woe. Oracle yusho looks certain now, and that tells its own story as it is the template game for the other pre-basho games. Basically, I predicted the outcome of the basho well, but picked exactly the wrong lads from the options I had. Hokutofuji, Tochinoshin, Takayasu, Meisei. All utter, utter rubbish this basho (or injured). So...game over there. I am still in Juryo Game for maybe 2 or 3 points with a decent senshuraku. I might actually do OK in Salarycap if only Hakuho and Kakuryu share the yusho/jun yusho but not enough for Masters points. And to my amazement, I am one point off the top ten in Bingo. A lucky day there could pay dividends.

So 20+ is a real possibility. With a good day, 25-30 could happen. Considering this has been an absolute shambles, I'll be happy to take those points and hope no other players have an absolute blowout.

GAMBARIMASU!

Mixed bag of everything on Day 14 for me. Lost in Bench (now 8-6), Toto (7-7), Odd and ISP (8-6). DST slightly above average but this comes way too late. Nice wins in TTT (7-7) and S4 (9-5) should secure a few points for SB masters. Highlight of the day of course was the win vs. Flohru in SG and Sumo's loss which brings me in a nice position in Sumo Game. Jun-Yusho (would be my 9th!) is already sure, but of course now I want more...

In Juryo game I will finish somewhere between 1st and 5th, I guess. And all of a sudden I'm also in contention for a few points in S-Oracle. I have not yet checked but it seems I can stay among the top 10.

And finally the first edition of the Dödel-Cup is decided. This trophy goes to the Panda as my 5 winners today were slightly better placed than his.

Ganzohnesushi

Very rough night, but I figured it would be. It would have helped a lot if Yutakayama had kept his feet and beat Tochinoshin as he should have.  Did well in H2H. Win in SG for KK and almost pulled out a miracle in Bench. I'm going to need a good Day 15 to get me over the KK line in some games. No points anywhere except Norizo where I might have an outside shot if Tokushoryu  doesn't win by tsukidashi. I don't know how common the exactly 2 wins for the special question is. Probably not anyway given I don't have the yusho winner.

8 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

Lost TTT as Daishomaru inexplicably became good as Midorifuji inexplicably went to absolute shit.

I know right? WTH? I'll never understand how matches like these turn out the way they do.

17 minutes ago, Rocks said:

I know right? WTH? I'll never understand how matches like these turn out the way they do.

And that's what makes games like TTT or Chain much more painful than ISP, by choosing your own poison.

• Like 1

If I always picked the opposite of who I thought would win on day 15, I'd do much better. I don't know what kind of logic is required to pick them correctly.

Terrible night. MK in Oracle. Lost in SG which probably means no promotion. God this basho sucked. If there no audience in May again I'll probably go Kosho wherever I can.

Watching that parade of general nothingness they called sumo day 15 was excruciating to watch.

It wasn't to be for Ganzo but he gets that jun yusho and a nice Masters haul. Well done to Jan and Stefan on the KKs today. Stefan looks certain to make a sanyaku debut in May. Rocks is probably our only other promotee.

Not much to say here. Pretty rubbish by the Centipedes on the whole, but then it WAS a bloody awful tournament. The quality was too low to make it predictable so every day was lottery city.

Let's hope for some improvement in May.

Sumo Game Final Standings:

EY1 5-10 94-101 9 11 0 6 7 4 1 Simon Pandaazuma
WS1 6-9 102-98 13 12 0 4 3 7 1 Douglas ScreechingOwl
EM1 8-7 93-92 9 8 0 3 6 4 2 Stefan Sagi
WM2 8-7 98-96 10 9 0 3 3 4 2 Jan Kuroimori
WM3 9-6 101-101 11 10 0 6 3 7 6 Gary Chocshoporyu
WM4 7-8 89-91 7 8 0 4 6 2 0 Miyako Chankoyama
WM6 9-6 96-91 9 8 0 4 5 7 2 Rupert Rupatengu
WM7 10-5J 100-92 11 7 0 6 4 4 2 Alexander Ganzohnesushi
WM15 5-10 98-98 9 8 0 4 2 6 1 Unko Unkonoyama
WJ1 6-9 98-97 8 7 0 4 4 4 0 Sergio Chishafuwaku
EJ7 6-9 90-99 6 5 0 2 4 3 0 Mark Fujiyama
Ems1 6-9 90-91 6 6 0 4 6 9 3 Ronnie Gawasukotto
Wms1 7-8 90-90 8 6 0 3 5 6 2 Steve Chelseayama
Wms2 8-7 96-91 10 7 0 5 5 4 1 Rocks Gansekiiwa
Wms22 8-7 93-92 8 6 0 4 5 2 2 Dustin Domichi
Wms37 7-8 93-91 10 5 0 2 5 4 1 Steve Kurowashi
Wms39 9-6 92-90 8 8 0 4 5 5 5 Jezz Jejima
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kaito said:

If I always picked the opposite of who I thought would win on day 15, I'd do much better. I don't know what kind of logic is required to pick them correctly.

I've been playing the game for almost 15 years and have reached the very top rank but I can tell you now it is still a complete mystery to me. I absolutely hate it. Shonichi is bad too but at least I get the occasional win there. I just ALWAYS lose on day 15, whatever approach I take.

Let's survey the damage...

Bench: 6-9. Basically my team was almost all utter idiots. And in Bench, that spells doom. Was lucky to get six.

Chain: Out on day 4. With a dumb change of mind at the last minute.

Tipspiel: 4th, 8 Masters points (MP). A rare high point. I was leading on day 12 but had one blowout and that was that.

GTB: 10-5, I think.

Hoshitori: More nonsense. Too many idiots in there and a stupid sub. Probably MK.

ISP: 10-5. This is actually pretty good for me.

Juryo Game: Joint 8th. 2.5 MP. Happy with this, especially as I was kadoban.

Norizo Cup: Nowhere. Just hoping I sneak KK but I got no bonuses so I am not hopeful.

Odd Sumo: 0-15. I was on a tsuna run so I am gutted about this one. Just a very tough basho to pick.

Bingo: 10-5. Not bad considering I had Tochinoshin in the prime spot.

Paper Oyakata: 8-7. Relieved to get over the KK line.

Rotosumo: Nowhere. One word: Takayasu.

Salarycap: Absolute garbage team but I might actually sneak into the top ten out of nowhere as I was one of the few to have both Hak AND Kak. Hope so as I really need the points.

Oracle: Yusho (15MP). Been a while since I won this but that makes me the all-time best in terms of yusho now. Was an easy win as well.

Quad: 7-8. Meh.

Toto: 8-7. Ordinarily I would be disgusted with this mediocre record, especially now I am Yokozuna, but I am actually very happy in this insane lottery basho that I got over the line.

SG: 5-10. Thank God I wasn't kadoban. A perfect storm of my system not being able to cope with the utter unpredictability AND my opponents all scoring very well when they met me. 5-10 is better than I thought I would get.

TTT: 6-9. Hokutofuji screwed me good and proper out of fractional Masters points.

UDH: Nowhere. Just hoping I sneak an 8-7.

So 25.5 Masters points plus whatever I get in Salarycap. As this was an absolute nightmare, that score is very welcome indeed. I see also that Norizo did not score that well in the second week so he won't be out of reach.

Very glad this is over. Hope we can come back in May with a better atmosphere.

2 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

Hope we can come back in May with a better atmosphere.

Do you really think so? I doubt it...

1 minute ago, Jakusotsu said:

Do you really think so? I doubt it...

Emphasis on 'hope'.

I give it a 30% chance.

Pre Basho

GTB: 6-9 74th, never do well in this game. Can't fight the urge to rank where I want, instead of where I think they will actually be placed.
Juryo Game: 61/68, typical dreadful pre-basho performance.
Roto: 25/79, started slow but ended up with a respectable placing thanks to Mitakeumi and Aoiyama.
SalaryCap: Mid-pack through 14 days, unremarkable.

Daily

TTT: 8th place, tied with many many people, so I'll get a small amount of Masters points.
Sumo Game: 8-7 with a horrendous day 15 (4 points).
Chain Gang: Tied for 6th place, so I think I'll manage some Masters points here.
ISP: 11-4, not good enough to get any Masters points unfortunately.
Bench: 8-7 consecutive losses to end the basho, a but disappointed despite the kachi koshi.