Pandaazuma

Mukade Beya (Formerly STI) Sumo Gaming Banter Thread

Recommended Posts

Well, with my yokozuna and ozeki out...and having picked the idiot sekiwake instead of the likely yusho winner in most pre-basho games. And having also got things mostly wrong elsewhere too...I was always fighting with two injured arms and one injured leg...but today really put the nail back in the coffin for the Panda and made this basho an almost total write-off. Lost pretty much everything and the pre-bashos went south big time...especially Oracle, where I had a precipitous collapse. Pretty amazing day actually...I don't remember a day where almost everything went to sheeyit so emphatically. The kind of day I usually get slaughtered on. I basically now need massive luck to pick up points. Will just aim for winning records as much as I can.

At least I am now 5-4 in SG and leading the scoring - a major priority these days in that game. Will try to finish with 8+ and the top score. 6-3 in the Baka Cup is scant consolation for the nightmare elsewhere.

GAMBARIMASU!

Edited by Pandaazuma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A stellar opening two days have turned mostly grim for the Machine, as well.  Only managed to win in Quad and TUG, though it must be noted that, with only three winners in all of TTT, I'm still alone in the yusho lead.  If I can just have one yusho this basho--which would somehow be my first this year--I could be content.  Because I'm not counting on pre-bashos for anything.

GANBARIMASU

Edited by Haidouzo
I don't know why mornings have been so difficult...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

Seb was the only player of the top seven to win...and yet again he had stupendous luck - his droning opponent had the three withdrawals in the top three slots. I mean, fair play to Seb - it's not his fault that he is getting easy opponents - but this is one of the luckiest tournaments I've ever seen for any player. 

As the late great American Football legend, Al Davis once said, "Just Win Baby!"

ztnm,

Sebunshu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sebunshu said:

As the late great American Football legend, Al Davis once said, "Just Win Baby!"

ztnm,

Sebunshu

Hahaha...can't argue with that! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seb draws level with Andonishiki, who lost for a second straight day. Gary put in a strong showing against Owl and he is now one behind with a chance for his first ever Makuuchi yusho. At the other end of things, Ganzo needs to be damned careful in the final third of the basho.

Congrats to Stefan on his 8th win. He has five days to get one more to ensure his promotion to the big leagues.

Day 10 Standings:

Rank    Wins Points AADs Opp AADs 10 8+ 5- TB TB+ Who? SG shikona
EY1 5-5 74-70 8 7 1 5 2 2 0 Simon Pandaazuma
EK1 6-4 66-64 8 4 0 1 2 3 0 Jan Kuroimori
EM1 8-2 63-62 6 4 0 1 2 4 4 Eric Sebunshu
WM1 5-5 65-72 5 9 0 2 2 4 4 Miyako Chankoyama
EM3 4-6 68-68 6 8 0 4 3 4 1 Douglas ScreechingOwl
EM4 7-3 71-66 9 5 1 5 2 5 3 Gary Chocshoporyu
WM4 5-5 64-68 5 7 0 3 4 2 2 Rupert Rupatengu
EM5 6-4 70-70 7 8 1 5 2 5 2 Scott Haidouzo
EM7 5-5 63-64 7 7 0 3 3 6 4 Renaud Kotononami
WM9 6-4 67-66 6 7 0 3 2 2 2 Mark Fujiyama
WM11 4-6 67-66 8 7 0 4 2 2 0 Sergio Chishafuwaku
EM14 4-6 59-68 4 8 0 1 3 3 2 Hal Chisaiyama
WM14 3-7 64-68 8 7 0 1 2 4 1 Alexander Ganzohnesushi
*                      
WJ3 8-2 71-64 9 6 0 4 1 3 3 Stefan Sagi
EJ9 6-4 64-60 6 2 0 2 1 4 1 Seisset Hakubayama
*                      
Wms7 5-5 60-61 4 4 0 0 2 4 3 Jezz Jejima
Ems9 5-5 59-64 2 4 0 0 4 4 4 Ronnie Gawasukotto
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the exception of ISP and Toto (of all places), it's another clean sweep of losses.

Thankfully, only Achiyama joins me to share the lead in TTT, and I have a one-point tiebreak lead at the moment.  Still 6th place in Odd after Takayasu (of all rikishi) cost me the modest win.

GANBARIMASU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Won Quad and Toto to keep myself in the running but it's looking trickier and trickier to bag Masters points with the way things are going. Managed wins in Bench and ISP, too, although the latter is a catastrophe. On the pre-basho scene, which is a gigantic disaster, I repaired some of yesterday's damage in Oracle but I'm still very much up against it. Current projections have Norizo, Choshu-Yuki and Gurowake all 8 points ahead of me...which in Oracle is a looooong way.

As for SG, words almost escape me. As I have won 7 out of the last 8 against Scott but met him in SG on the one day that he beat me, I was already convinced that the same would happen today against Seb, given that 1. The sumo gods clearly hate my guts and don't want me as yokozuna - 13 AADs against in the last two tournaments and some kind of sick joke this time too - clear points leader of all three divisions but keep losing in ridiculous ways...and 2. The sumo gods love Seb...and here's why:

He is 8-2 while Flohru, with the same score, is 1-9 and Kaiomitsuki, with three points more, is 2-8.

He was the ONLY person yesterday of seven yusho rivals AND today of three to win on these two days, drawing him level in the yusho race.

Panda slaughtered him in points on every one of the last five days, and so naturally, today - on the day we actually met -  he won a draw with perhaps the luckiest win of all time, namely getting away with picking a fat, useless waster like Ichinojo, who literally gave up at the edge, only for Yoshikaze to inexplicably stop pushing (after massacring him in the bout) and then lose.

Seb, incidentally, could now very well win the yusho AND be promoted to ozeki in November if he manages an achievable 9 or 10 wins in September. The pressure is on! Can the Sebbster keep his head and go all the way?

Back to Panda...I am now 5-5 in SG (and Bench) and will need luck to get 8. And luck is quite obviously something I will be getting zero of. But...as always: GAMBARIMASU!

 

Edited by Pandaazuma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

Panda slaughtered him in points on every one of the last five days, and so naturally, today - on the day we actually met -  he won a draw with perhaps the luckiest win of all time, namely getting away with picking a fat, useless waster like Ichinojo, who literally gave up at the edge, only for Yoshikaze to inexplicably stop pushing (after massacring him in the bout) and then lose.

 

monoii.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Douglas and Gary both leading Bench Sumo with 9-1. Now that's what I call Ozeki! (Punkrocker...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Douglas and Gary both leading Bench Sumo with 9-1. Now that's what I call Ozeki! (Punkrocker...)

Yeah great stuff.

One of THOSE basho in Bench though where a correct limited choice had to be made. If you picked Mitakeumi, you're gonna do ok. On the other hand...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

One of THOSE basho in Bench though where a correct limited choice had to be made. If you picked Mitakeumi, you're gonna do ok. On the other hand...

Oh, c'mon! Do you really think those picking Ichinojo have a right to complain? I would have rather picked Shohozan. B-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jakusotsu said:

Oh, c'mon! Do you really think those picking Ichinojo have a right to complain? I would have rather picked Shohozan. B-)

Oh, it is not a complaint in the slightest. It is one of the cherished elements I like about Bench...this catastrophic disconnect that sometimes occurs. I actually enjoy the challenge of reaching 8 wins with a donkey like Ichinojo on the team. 

But it is undeniably true that having Mitakeumi at 4 every day dramatically increases the odds of beating anyone with Ichinojo and no yokozuna or ozeki.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pandaazuma said:

But it is undeniably true that having Mitakeumi at 4 every day dramatically increases the odds of beating anyone with Ichinojo and no yokozuna or ozeki.

Believe me, putting Mitakeumi at 4 generates more than enough sweat for my taste, thank you very much. It's hindsight that soothes you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jakusotsu said:

Believe me, putting Mitakeumi at 4 generates more than enough sweat for my taste, thank you very much. It's hindsight that soothes you.

Haha...I have no doubt it does, but that is irrelevant. At the end of the day he is 10-0, so despite all the sweat, he picked up every single point he was trusted with. Results are all that matter at the end of the day. Ichinojo anywhere near the points this basho is likely to give gamers a stroke. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mentioned in another topic that plcking Kagayaki had probably scuppered my chances in Hoshitori but another lucky occurrence has given me back my chances.....

I wonder how many Hoshitori players had Mitakeuni as an alternate....

I did.

Hakuho drops out and Miakeumi goes to the 13 points slot.........

I don't know what you are complaining about Panda.....I'm having a great basho ;-) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

As for SG, words almost escape me. As I have won 7 out of the last 8 against Scott but met him in SG on the one day that he beat me, I was already convinced that the same would happen today against Seb, given that 1. The sumo gods clearly hate my guts and don't want me as yokozuna - 13 AADs against in the last two tournaments and some kind of sick joke this time too - clear points leader of all three divisions but keep losing in ridiculous ways...and 2. The sumo gods love Seb...and here's why:

He is 8-2 while Flohru, with the same score, is 1-9 and Kaiomitsuki, with three points more, is 2-8.

He was the ONLY person yesterday of seven yusho rivals AND today of three to win on these two days, drawing him level in the yusho race.

Panda slaughtered him in points on every one of the last five days, and so naturally, today - on the day we actually met -  he won a draw with perhaps the luckiest win of all time, namely getting away with picking a fat, useless waster like Ichinojo, who literally gave up at the edge, only for Yoshikaze to inexplicably stop pushing (after massacring him in the bout) and then lose.

How can I sit idly by and not comment on that massive blast on my SG skills?  LOL!  In fact, I have had my share of "bad luck" at this game through the years.  As we both well know SG giveth and SG taketh away, but ultimately things level out.  How soon we forget that last basho I had the high point total in all of SG.  In regards to the Ichinojo v. Yoshikaze match, sometimes I choose not to pick for someone but rather against someone.  If you believe that yaocho still exists in Sumo, then one might ask why is Yoshikaze still fighting when he is clearly not performing at anywhere near 100%?  I had noticed in his past few bouts he had crumpled rather easily and appears to have what might be a right leg injury.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he were "trading favors" and building up a supply of them to cash in next basho.  I took a calculated risk that the giving would continue and it payed off.  Why can't you just accept the defeat and take it like a man rather than this pathetic diatribe about how the sumo gods love me and hate you.  It just doesn't suit you.  I know you are better than that.  Now, back to your regularly scheduled post game play by play analysis...  As always: GAMBARIMASU!

ztnm,

Sebunshu

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sebunshu said:

How can I sit idly by and not comment on that massive blast on my SG skills?  LOL!  In fact, I have had my share of "bad luck" at this game through the years.  As we both well know SG giveth and SG taketh away, but ultimately things level out.  How soon we forget that last basho I had the high point total in all of SG.  In regards to the Ichinojo v. Yoshikaze match, sometimes I choose not to pick for someone but rather against someone.  If you believe that yaocho still exists in Sumo, then one might ask why is Yoshikaze still fighting when he is clearly not performing at anywhere near 100%?  I had noticed in his past few bouts he had crumpled rather easily and appears to have what might be a right leg injury.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he were "trading favors" and building up a supply of them to cash in next basho.  I took a calculated risk that the giving would continue and it payed off.  Why can't you just accept the defeat and take it like a man rather than this pathetic diatribe about how the sumo gods love me and hate you.  It just doesn't suit you.  I know you are better than that.  Now, back to your regularly scheduled post game play by play analysis...  As always: GAMBARIMASU!

ztnm,

Sebunshu

 

Finally! I did it! I was wondering what it would take to actually get Seb commenting on the banter thread. You should do it more often.

Regarding last basho's gino-sho, you may recall that I called last basho the H2H basho in SG, meaning that players who made picks largely based on H2H records did well. Congrats on that. ;)

Regarding my comments on luck...one of the main attractions of SG is the luck element. I comment on it regularly, and indeed point it out (with disgust) when I myself have lucky tournaments while others are unlucky. I will continue pointing out good and bad luck as part of my regular 'play-by-play analysis'. ;)

For your part...let's have a few more comments. That is what the banter thread is for after all: BANTER.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fujisan said:

I mentioned in another topic that plcking Kagayaki had probably scuppered my chances in Hoshitori but another lucky occurrence has given me back my chances.....

I wonder how many Hoshitori players had Mitakeuni as an alternate....

I did.

Hakuho drops out and Miakeumi goes to the 13 points slot.........

I don't know what you are complaining about Panda.....I'm having a great basho ;-) 

Yep...the perfect sub! I had Yutakayama...not too bad. I wonder who had Yoshikaze! ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and Seb...I forgot:

"It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he were "trading favors" and building up a supply of them to cash in next basho."

(Laughing...)(Laughing...)(Laughing...)(Laughing...)(Laughing...)

(Dancingofjoy...)(Dancingofjoy...)(Dancingofjoy...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to continue this sumo gods theme because we are at comical levels now. I would have beaten Kaiomitsuki the last seven straight days on points (not even tie-breaks) but...naturally...as soon as we meet face-to-face, I lose. The same story as with Seb and Scott...and probably quite a few more (can't be arsed checking). The sumo gods have a sense of humour too: I went back to beating Seb today. ;)

To be honest though I didn't mind losing to Kaiomitsuki at all because he picked well (better than I did) and has also been exceedingly unlucky. At 5-6 I now face a nice challenging battle to win three out of four. Given my luck this year, I'm not going to worry about winning...will just try and pick well and top the scoring charts.

In the other games...I won TTT, Bench and Toto but sadly lost in Quad. Still have some chances for a few points but 20 now would be fantastic after this injury-ridden disaster of a gaming basho. Oracle improved a bit but I think it may be a bridge too far.

Oh...and the Baka Cup is on a nice early flight back to Scott's basement! It missed you, mate. :)

GAMBARIMASU!

Edited by Pandaazuma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andonishiki got back to winning ways but Seb lost to the ozeki and fell back into a three-way tie for second. Gary is waiting in the wings one win further back. Everyone else is doing OK but Ganzo and Hal are on the brink of losing records.

In Juryo Stefan got his ninth and is well in the yusho race. He should be promoted now, but it is not yet certain. Seisset has lost five straight after winning his first six!

Ronnie got a win to go 6-5. Jezz lost and needs three out of four.

Day 11:

Rank    Wins Points AADs Opp AADs 10 8+ 5- TB TB+ Who? SG shikona
EY1 5-6 80-77 8 8 1 5 2 2 0 Simon Pandaazuma
EK1 6-5 73-72 9 5 0 1 2 3 0 Jan Kuroimori
EM1 8-3 69-69 6 5 0 1 2 4 4 Eric Sebunshu
WM1 5-6 71-78 5 10 0 2 2 4 4 Miyako Chankoyama
EM3 5-6 76-75 7 9 0 5 3 4 1 Douglas ScreechingOwl
EM4 7-4 77-73 9 6 1 5 2 5 3 Gary Chocshoporyu
WM4 5-6 71-5 6 8 0 3 4 3 2 Rupert Rupatengu
EM5 6-5 76-78 7 9 1 5 2 5 2 Scott Haidouzo
EM7 6-5 70-70 8 7 0 3 3 6 4 Renaud Kotononami
WM9 6-5 74-74 7 8 0 3 2 2 2 Mark Fujiyama
WM11 5-6 75-72 9 7 0 5 2 2 0 Sergio Chishafuwaku
EM14 4-7 65-76 4 9 0 1 3 3 2 Hal Chisaiyama
WM14 4-7 71-75 9 8 0 1 2 5 2 Alexander Ganzohnesushi
*                      
WJ3 9-2 78-71 10 7 0 4 1 4 4 Stefan Sagi
EJ9 6-5 70-67 6 3 0 2 1 4 1 Seisset Hakubayama
*                      
Wms7 5-6 66-69 4 5 0 0 2 4 3 Jezz Jejima
Ems9 6-5 65-69 2 4 0 0 4 4 4 Ronnie Gawasukotto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

 If you picked Mitakeumi, you're gonna do ok. On the other hand...

Au contraire!  I have Mitakeumi and I'm 3-8!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Haidouzo said:

Au contraire!  I have Mitakeumi and I'm 3-8!!

Ha! But you also have Daieisho and Yoshikaze along with your two kyujo lads. Plus Onosho, Chiyotairyu and Tamawashi screwing you up most days, losing bouts they should be winning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the grateful exception of TTT (and TUG), it's another clean sweep of losses.

TTT furthered its claim as the only bastion of fortune for me as Achiyama also lost on day 11, putting me once again alone in the yusho lead.

As of day 10, it seems Salarycap is my only hope for points in the pre-bashos.  (I have no idea about Oracle, but I haven't seen the Panda predicting I'd end up well there this time.)

GANBARIMASU!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Haidouzo said:

With the grateful exception of TTT (and TUG), it's another clean sweep of losses.

TTT furthered its claim as the only bastion of fortune for me as Achiyama also lost on day 11, putting me once again alone in the yusho lead.

As of day 10, it seems Salarycap is my only hope for points in the pre-bashos.  (I have no idea about Oracle, but I haven't seen the Panda predicting I'd end up well there this time.)

GANBARIMASU!

I only do relative standings with the top-rankers. From next basho I can add you to the list if you like?

Edited by Pandaazuma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now