Jabbamaru

World Cup 18 - comments

By the way, I'm almost tempted to start a poll about the necessity of the play-off for 3rd place. Sure, it's another dose of football, but does anyone really care? I bet the players would rather be home already.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

By the way, I'm almost tempted to start a poll about the necessity of the play-off for 3rd place. Sure, it's another dose of football, but does anyone really care? I bet the players would rather be home already.

My own team are playing in it and I won't be watching (my other team will be playing tomorrow - the joys of mixed heritage!).  I will, however, be attending a Bastille Day party in full 'French' fancy dress, so here's hoping I don't get lynched by England fans on the way home. 

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

You ned someone placed 3rd. Without it, it'd be like knocking on Penny's door only 2 times.

What a great World Cup England had!

They defeated the mighty(!) Panama, Tunisia (only just) and Sweden, drew with Colombia (minus their best player), and lost to Croatia and twice to Belgium....

So, basically they beat Sweden - not really sure if that is such an amazing achievement - apologies to any Swedes reading.

• Haha 2

Hey, @Jejimalook at the bright side. Your lads won a penalty shoot out for the first time ever during a world cup. :-D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 14/07/2018 at 05:23, Bugman said:

To misquote Mark Twain, 'rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated'.  Spain can pass the ball well, and without any strikers worth mentioning that's all they can do, so they aren't about to give up their one strength.  As for the game, how many players have to be rugby-tackled to the floor simultaneously, inside the box for VAR to come back with a penalty decision?  Obviously when playing against Russia in their own world cup, the answer is 'more than two.'  Spain were hard-done-by in that match.

To misquote Gerson the golden lefty; "Os caras trocam 4892 passes e não metem uma no gol (the boys exchanged 5487 passes and dont kicked one time to the goal)"... About the f* VAR...I hate this s*. They will kill football with this kind of stuff.

9 hours ago, Jabbamaru said:

About the f* VAR...I hate this s*. They will kill football with this kind of stuff.

Yeah, it's really hard to get excited when you can't even blame the referee anymore.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Yeah, it's really hard to get excited when you can't even blame the referee anymore.

VAR is a good thing - if used properly (like it is done in Rugby for many years).

The WC Final was a very good example of what can go wrong with the current rule.

1. The full-blown dive by Griezmann prior to the first goal. No chance to review or intervene by the video referee, also no chance to challenge a review for Croatia.

2. The penalty decision. Reviewed after protests/challenge by several French players. In light of the wrong call just minutes before, it was a harsh if not brutal decision.

IMHO, this changed the course of the match significantly. Before France took the totally unexpected lead, Croatia was in charge and they came back once, but it a second time was too much to handle.

In the end, the refs were lucky that France scored too more (non controversial) goals, which took the discussion away from that aspect a bit.

This is all hypothetical and my personal take, I know, but that is basically why I cannot enjoy football so much any more. All the diving and cheating (and being rewarded for it) and taking time off the clock (and not being punished for that adequately) is killing the game, not some attempt to reduce the amount of wrong decisions or to eradicate unfair conduct.

That's my first and last post  about WC 2018, another welcome distraction by the way for the local government to significantly raise the VAT as well as the statutory retirement age - a win-win for Gianni & Vlad

• Like 1

On 16.7.2018 at 10:50, Jejima said:

What a great World Cup England had!

They defeated the mighty(!) Panama, Tunisia (only just) and Sweden, drew with Colombia (minus their best player), and lost to Croatia and twice to Belgium....

So, basically they beat Sweden - not really sure if that is such an amazing achievement - apologies to any Swedes reading.

Beating Sweden is basically no big achievement - even Germany did it !!! (Blinking...)

7 minutes ago, Pitinosato said:

Beating Sweden is basically no big achievement - even Germany did it !!! (Blinking...)

Only because the shinpan watching the clock fell asleep.

• Haha 1

I totally agree with Jakusotsu.

After the penalty I couldn't enjoy the final any more.

France did nothing for the match, had zero chances to score - but lead 2-1 :'-(

With one goal given by a (not-so-easy-visible) dive, and another with an at least controversial dicision.

After the lead it was a much more easier match for France. So I think the referee dicided this match.

It is no good sign for football when a Team becomes Champion who does not try to play football.

And the diving and acting - horrible

And the stalling for time...

I more and more lose the joy watching football (Weeping...)

I hope the Matches off 1899 Hoffenheim will be better - in Champions League and Bundesliga !

Peter

5 minutes ago, Pitinosato said:

I totally agree with Jakusotsu.

Are you sure you agree with me rather than with kuroimori?

sure...

I agree with kuroimori !!!

Maybe it was to late yesterday... (Injonokuchi...)