Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Ikioi marries pro golfer Mamiko Higa

Posted (edited)

This is not just another sekitori marriage - the tabloids and wide shows will make sure of that

On 6/27/2018 at 06:56, specialweek 2 said:

Ikioi has announced wedding bells October 11th with 24 yr old pro golfer Mamiko Higa. Bought her a $100,000 engagement ring.

On 6/27/2018 at 07:21, WAKATAKE said:

Another sujo's dream off the market.

On 6/27/2018 at 09:08, Kintamayama said:

Wedding date/registration date not announced yet-October 11th is their mutual birthday..

first meeting Natsu 2015

f_11391273.jpgo

Ikioi (31) interviewed after keiko

201806280000243-w200_0.jpgo 

one tabloid had been following them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7ioZAcrVws

their recent pro-records

sum18062703000001-m4.jpgo sum18062703000001-m5.jpgo

recent athlete couples

sum18062703000001-m3.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Ikioi (31) and Mamiko Higa (24) intend to marry this autumn (sanspo confirms that they confirmed to have the wedding registration on their mutual birthday). He proposed to her with "Please become the Mami-chan just for me." Ikioi is said to intend to become an independent oyakata in the future - with her as okami-san. "Marriage is not the goal. It's the start."

She watched the Natsu-basho 2015 and they met afterwards because of that. They are engaged since last year Natsu. She is ranked 3rd in the national women golf money rankings this season.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20180627/k10011497741000.html

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20180627/sum18062712130004-n1.html

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201806270000385.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 5

Thanks for this! I follow Ikioi on Facebook and had difficulty understanding his recent post on the topic.

Several years younger and makes significantly more money - that's quite a departure from the usual sekitori marrying patterns, that's for sure.

So, you think Ikioi is her little toy boy?

Didn't realise anyone still used that term in the 21st century.

45 minutes ago, Tsubame said:

In case it was a serious question, no.

4 hours ago, Tsubame said:

Would be Sugar Daddy anyway, Ikioi is the older one... and she makes more money, so neither works!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Several years younger and makes significantly more money - that's quite a departure from the usual sekitori marrying patterns, that's for sure.

what kind of money is she making? My google-fu is coming up short in finding details.

15 minutes ago, Flyric said:

what kind of money is she making? My google-fu is coming up short in finding details.

LPGA of Japan Tour prize money ranking for 2017 - she finished the season in 12th place with 68 million yen, about 4x the maegashira annual salary. As Akinomaki said she's doing even better this year and is currently in 3rd place, with nearly the same earnings already after less than half the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I wish them happiness and hope that they can get some peace from the tabloids. October is a long way off when you are being harrassed by the tabloids. 

They make a real nice looking couple. Did not even know that you could do so well outside of the main LGPA tour. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

...  Ikioi is said to intend to become an independent oyakata in the future - with her as okami-san. "Marriage is not the goal. It's the start."

Wow such ambition.  It is wonderful news and here's to a happiness with the engagment/future marriage ♥
I know that okamisan of Ounomatsu beya (Okumura, Hisako) was also once a professional golfer and has adapted with heya life and management.  Such a 180 turn in career certainly could not have been an easy one.  

Edited by inhashi

I’m very happy for them. Ikioi is on of my favorites. Wish them a joyful life together 

Hearty congratulations from the Swami!

Swami

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, inhashi said:
20 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

...  Ikioi is said to intend to become an independent oyakata in the future - with her as okami-san. "Marriage is not the goal. It's the start."

Wow such ambition.  It is wonderful news and here's to a happiness with the engagment/future marriage ♥
I know that okamisan of Ounomatsu beya (Okumura, Hisako) was also once a professional golfer and has adapted with heya life and management.  Such a 180 turn in career certainly could not have been an easy one.  

Her earnings will make it easier to really get to become an independent oyakata - with maybe a new heya. And they're certain to always remember both the birthday of the partner and the wedding anniversary.

I hadn't seen him as one to remain in the NSK till the 1 - 2 years ago they are engaged - together, rather as one to become a singer and geinou man.

Edited by Akinomaki

The GogoSmile video says that he got the Kasugayama kabu, when did that happen?

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

The GogoSmile video says that he got the Kasugayama kabu, when did that happen?

On a quick search the only thing I've found is a Chunichi Sports article from yesterday which also makes that statement. Doubt we'll find out when exactly it happened, information about share changes is hit-and-miss anyway and especially when the previous owner has passed away. (Before anyone asks, I mean Kasugafuji of course, not Hamanishiki.)

(Paging @Tamanaogijima in case the info gets lost in this non-kabu thread.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2018 at 12:09, Akinomaki said:

My sumo news search now is full of golf news and pics, and the tabloid publishes more on the net from what they wrote about the 2 http://www.dailyshincho.jp/article/2018/07060558/?all=1

not really the proper outfit for a rikishi outside

1807060558_4.jpg

He likes golf and is quite good at it, she is a sujo who knows the rikishi profiles till juryo.

This basho he likely will get even more applause on the dohyo - but his results will now always be seen in connection to this story.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

A good couple of weeks for the future Mrs. Ikioi while he was in action in Nagoya, too - her golf tour had tournaments on all three basho weekends, and she finished solo 4th, tied for 12th, and tied for 4th. 

Mamiko is tied for 4th entering the final round of the Women's British Open, which has just begun. Ganbatte!!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

She finished tied for 4th as well  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Women's_British_Open  She made roughly as much money in that tournament ($138,420) as Ikioi does all year from his base salary (15.7M Yen ~= $140,000) though that doesn't count hoshokin, kensho, or anything else.  Also according to the article she got her spot in the tournament for being in the top 5 in the year on the Japan tour, so she's going quite well overall.

Interestingly, she was the only one of the leaders in the first two rounds without an English Wikipedia page (not even linking to her Japanese page).  I certainly expect her to be notable now, it's just a matter of who's going to go to the trouble of making the page.  (1, 2, 3, not it!)

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/22/2018 at 08:08, Asashosakari said:

A good couple of weeks for the future Mrs. Ikioi while he was in action in Nagoya, too - her golf tour had tournaments on all three basho weekends, and she finished solo 4th, tied for 12th, and tied for 4th. 

And 7th the week after that in a 4-round tournament (most are 3).

https://www.lpga.or.jp/members/info/1000816

On 27/06/2018 at 12:47, Akinomaki said:

Ikioi (31) and Mamiko Higa (24) intend to marry this autumn (sanspo confirms that they confirmed to have the wedding registration on their mutual birthday).

Postponed - their mutual birthday is today, but she has a pro-ama match and he is kyujo for the jungyo and resting in Tokyo. Higa: "We want to go together to hand in the registration. Without being fixated on a date, we hand it in when the timing is matched." http://www.sanspo.com/golf/news/20181011/jlp18101105000001-n1.html

Planned for within this year, but she will keep starting in golf as Mamiko Higa. http://www.sanspo.com/golf/news/20181011/jlp18101116560002-n1.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1