Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Ikioi marries pro golfer Mamiko Higa when?

Sorry for the question but is the postponing of the wedding normal thing in Japan or could this mean they are having problems and second thoughts about the wedding? 

I follow pro golf even more closely than sumo and know her quite well from golf. Wish them well in life :-)

It’s pretty common to do the legal side of it first and then do the ceremonial stuff months later. Some wrestlers even delay things for years. Takarafuji just did his ceremony but has a toddler that was born after he was legally married. Between pro-athlete schedules, arranging the parties, getting the crowd together, it is quite a production to put on. Even regular Japanese do it, just less fabulously.

50 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

It’s pretty common to do the legal side of it first and then do the ceremonial stuff months later. Some wrestlers even delay things for years. Takarafuji just did his ceremony but has a toddler that was born after he was legally married. Between pro-athlete schedules, arranging the parties, getting the crowd together, it is quite a production to put on. Even regular Japanese do it, just less fabulously.

Yeah, but the registration is the legal side, right?

I dunno how common it is to announce and not be registered yet.

26 minutes ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

Yeah, but the registration is the legal side, right?

I dunno how common it is to announce and not be registered yet.

For the registration, they don't even have to be present in the city hall: somebody else can hand in the signed form. But they had announced that they want to do it personally and together. Unimaginable though that there wasn't a possibility for that within the many months they had planned to be married already.

I thought they had already done the registration months ago.

Posted (edited)

Some commotion on the TV broadcast on the Japanese side regarding this. After Ikioi's one-sided win, Mainoumi who was on the other side mentioned the fact that his fiancee won the golf tournament. Kitanoumi, Kitanofuji, who was the lead commentator, rumbled:" Why are you talking about golf!!!" to which Mainoumi meekly apologized, explaining that he thought Ikioi was gambarizing too after his fiancee gambarized so it was kinda connected... Then, an uneasy silence. Later, when her championship was announced again: "I don't hate golf.. I may have gone a bit overboard before.." said Kitanoumifuji. Scandalous.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Some commotion on the TV broadcast on the Japanese side regarding this. After Ikioi's one-sided win, Mainoumi who was on the other side mentioned the fact that his fiancee won the golf tournament. Kitanoumi, who was the lead commentator, rumbled:" Why are you talking about golf!!!" to which Mainoumi meekly apologized, explaining that he thought Ikioi was gambarizing too after his fiancee gambarized so it was kinda connected... Then, an uneasy silence. Later, when her championship was announced again: "I don't hate golf.. I may have gone a bit overboard before.." said Kitanoumi. Scandalous.

I only understand few words of Japanese here and there.  But it's not hard to figure out topics other than golf get covered by the broadcast crew.    Not only that, some guests are not related to golf at all (e.g, Judo champion, actress, ...).     Hypocrisy if you ask me.  

BTW, I am a fervent golf fan and watch JLPGA time to time.  Before the start of Basho, I knew Higa is on a path to win the tournament and commented to my wife that Ikioi's wife is winning an JLPGA tournament.

Edited by robnplunder

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

....said Kitanoumi. Scandalous.

Kitanoumi?

3 hours ago, Kishinoyama said:

Kitanoumi?

Otherwordly serious business.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Kishinoyama said:

Kitanoumi?

Kitanofuji. Just checking how scandalous.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Ikoi came to watch his fiancee play today, for the first time after the engagement announcement

20190621-OHT1I50116-L.jpgo

About the health problems (esp.cellulitis):  "It was a good stimulus for me. Also I have to gambarize." - but no date for the marriage: "I have to become stronger also for her sake" and "First of all the return to makuuchi."

AS20190621003616_commL.jpgo b_12449108.jpgo AS20190621003622_commL.jpgo 

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 21/06/2019 at 17:39, Akinomaki said:

Ikoi came to watch his fiancee play today, for the first time after the engagement announcement

b_12449108.jpgo

The tabloid Shukan Post (the home of yaocho articles) pointed to a problem for Ikioi at the golf course: as rikishi he has to wear a kimono in public - as guest to the clubhouse or at the course the golf dress code for men is polo shirt and long pants. Apparently Ikioi changed on arrival into the wear appropriate for golf and back to kimono for this commemorative shot for the media. http://www.news-postseven.com/archives/20190701_1402220.html

Rikishi often play golf - Ikioi is one of the best among the active ones - in proper golf wear - and were shown like that regularly in the media. Apparently the NSK allows other "uniforms" - or doesn't care anymore: just look at Asanoyama in the public yesterday

AS20190630001560_commL.jpgo

or maybe the police in Kanie town has this special uniform for summer

• Like 3

After his juryo yusho Ikioi went to watch his fiancee  play at the Japan tour - on day 1 of the current tournament he saw her finish 2nd place - day 2 she got to 1st - he is now busy with weekend duties at the 2 danpatsu-shiki.

201909270000463-w200_1.jpgo EFdUW3YUYAIw2wV.jpg:thumbo

20190927s00043000338000p_thum.jpgo b_12739970.jpgo o 

201909270000681-w1300_0.jpg

• Like 1

Glad to seem him fighting well and winning the juryo yusho. Hopefully his injuries are behind him. They make a nice couple. How could anybody not like Ikioi?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, since_94 said:

Glad to seem him fighting well and winning the juryo yusho. Hopefully his injuries are behind him. They make a nice couple. How could anybody not like Ikioi?

He's not very popular with crows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 11/10/2018 at 11:52, Akinomaki said:
On 27/06/2018 at 12:47, Akinomaki said:

Ikioi (31) and Mamiko Higa (24) intend to marry this autumn (sanspo confirms that they confirmed to have the wedding registration on their mutual birthday).

Postponed - their mutual birthday is today, but she has a pro-ama match and he is kyujo for the jungyo and resting in Tokyo. Higa: "We want to go together to hand in the registration. Without being fixated on a date, we hand it in when the timing is matched."

Same procedure as last year with the same comment by Higa - "We want to do it together". Today on their mutual birthday again no marriage registration - he will be at the jungyo in Kanagawa. https://www.sanspo.com/golf/news/20191011/jlp19101105000001-n1.html

• Like 1