Jejima

Guess Kisenosato's Aite (M3W Takakeisho) - July 2018

15.myogiryu (i really didn't want to give up on chiyonokuni)

day 15 - Shohozan - no need to duck the komusubi?

15. Asanoyama

Rest of the schedule:

Takayasu-Goeido, Mitakeumi-Ichinojo, Tamawashi-Yutakayama, Shohozan-Yoshikaze, Shodai-Kagayaki, Ikioi-Kaisei, Abi-Daishomaru, Endo-Tochiozan, Chiyotairyu-Hokutofuji, Takarafuji-Arawashi, Daieisho-Kotoeko, Chiyoshoma-Meisei, Kyokutaisei-Sadanoumi, Myogiryu-Onosho, Chiyomaru-Ishiura, Nishikigi-Ryuden, Aoiyama-Okinoumi

• Like 1

15. Asanoyama

Reasoning: Tamawashi - Yutakayama and Ikioi-Kaisei

D15 - Asanoyama 

Final results:

Both leaders had the right idea for Senshuraku, and due to tie-breakers (for getting Takarafuji right on day 13) Shin-Yokozuna Sakura wins her back-to-back-to-back yusho - outstanding!

Personally I found this basho quite hard to predict (and will reflect deeply in my corner of yokozuna shame), but at least we managed to keep The Kyokai at bay for the first time since Aki 2016!

Sakura (10-5)
Gurowake (10-5)
kuroimori (6-9)
chishafuwaku (6-9)
Tenshinhan (6-9)
Andonishiki (6-8-1)
Gernobono (5-10)
Jejima (5-10)
Ryoshishokunin (5-8-2)
Jakusotsu (4-11)
orandashoho (4-10-1)
Umizoi (4-10-1)
Profomisakari (3-12)
shimodahito (1-13-1)
WAKATAKE (0-15)
The Kyokai (0-15)
Atenzan (kosho)

Takakeisho's aites: 1. Kaisei, 2. Kagayaki, 3. Mitakeumi, 4. Daishomaru, 5. Tamawashi (Takayasu), 6. Takayasu, 7. Goeido, 8. Ichinojo, 9. Yoshikaze, 10. Abi, 11. Endo, 12. Chiyotairyu, 13. Takarafuji, 14. Ikioi, 15. Asanoyama

Yusho:
Sakura (10-5) (Yushowinner...)

Shukunsho:
Gurowake    3
Sakura    3
chishafuwaku    3
Tenshinhan    3

Kantosho:
Gurowake    2
Sakura    2

Jejima    3
Gernobono    4
chishafuwaku    4
Andonishiki    4

Ginosho:
chishafuwaku    6
Sakura    3
Jejima    3
Jakusotsu    2
Gurowake    2
Gernobono    1
shimodahito    1
orandashoho    1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I think we had identical picks every day other than Takarafuji and the Tochinoshin Kyujo that she wasn't aware of in time.  So she deserved it more than me in my opinion.  Plus, I was so sure it was going to be Asanoyama I didn't see the point in trying to go for the win.  While it didn't work out perfectly according to my vision, the idea of someone in sanyaku against Yutakayama plus Ikioi-Kaisei as the last match between sanyaku contenders already in the joi seemed like sure things, which left Takakeisho to face Asanoyama, exactly the same way Sakura said.

My full schedule was 8/18, which doesn't seem bad considering they meddled with one of the two "sure things".

Edited by Gurowake

1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

While it didn't work out perfectly according to my vision, the idea of someone in sanyaku against Yutakayama plus Ikioi-Kaisei as the last match between sanyaku contenders already in the joi seemed like sure things, which left Takakeisho to face Asanoyama, exactly the same way Sakura said.

I had a different schedule in mind: Tamawashi-Endo and Yutakayama-Asanoyama, which would have led to Takakeisho-Tochiozan.

Yet another sign of bad torikumi work that they not only skipped the Sekiwake duel but Yutakayama-Asanoyama as well.

3 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

I had a different schedule in mind: Tamawashi-Endo and Yutakayama-Asanoyama, which would have led to Takakeisho-Tochiozan.

Yet another sign of bad torikumi work that they not only skipped the Sekiwake duel but Yutakayama-Asanoyama as well.

They also missed Myogiryu-Yutakayama, despite them being adjacent in rank!

1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

I think we had identical picks every day other than Takarafuji and the Tochinoshin Kyujo that she wasn't aware of in time.  So she deserved it more than me in my opinion.  Plus, I was so sure it was going to be Asanoyama I didn't see the point in trying to go for the win.  While it didn't work out perfectly according to my vision, the idea of someone in sanyaku against Yutakayama plus Ikioi-Kaisei as the last match between sanyaku contenders already in the joi seemed like sure things, which left Takakeisho to face Asanoyama, exactly the same way Sakura said.

My full schedule was 8/18, which doesn't seem bad considering they meddled with one of the two "sure things".

Ordinarily, when I have no clue I make sure I pick differently than other people for fairness, but I was 95% sure that Asanoyama was right. It made too much sense. I did think they'd keep the Sekiwake matchup, and I thought we might get Tamawashi-Yutakayama which still gave me Ikioi-Kaisei and Takakeisho-Asanoyama. I didn't count on them deciding to put (at that stage) potential Yusho winner Yutakayama against leader Mitakeumi. My mistake, but it worked out for me anyway.

Good job, Gurowake. The kyujo in this one were tough to get around.

Very nice game to touch the subtilities of torikuming.

Merci, rendez-vous pour l'Aki Basho !

• Like 2

Just discovered - while checking out the rules - that we have now commenced the 11th year of this game.  I really started it as a little tongue-in-cheek - I never expected it to last this long.  This is mainly due to Klaus (Jakusotsu) looking after the game during each basho. (Iamnotworthy...)

Many thanks to Jakusotsu for looking after this game for the past fortnight.

Many, many omedetous to Sakura for her 'Three-peat' with yushos.  I don't think that has ever happened before with this game.

Jakusotsu (Y1E 4-11) Y1 Kuroimori (Y1W 6-9)
Gurowake (Y2E  10-5
(Secondprize...)) Y2 
                                        YO Sakura (YO-W 10-5(Yushowinner...))
Gernobono (O1E 5-10) O1 

chishafuwaku (S1E 6-9)  S1  shimodahito (S1W 1-13-1) 
Ryoshishokunin (K1E 5-8-2) K1 orandashoho (K1W 4-10-1)

Andonishiki (M1E 6-8-1)  M1  Tenshinhan (M1W 6-9)  
Atenzan (M2E Kosho) M2 Profomisakari (M2W 3-12)

WAKATAKE (M3E 0-15) M3 Jejima (M3W 5-10) 
The Kyokai (M4E 0-15) M4

Mae-zumo
Umizoi (mz 4-10-1)

KK line: 5-10
OQ line: 7-8

Yusho: Sakura (YO-W 10-5)
Jun-Yusho: Gurowake (Y2E 10-5)

Shukunsho: Gurowake, Sakura, chishafuwaku, Tenshinhan
Kantosho: Gurowake, Sakura
Ginosho: chishafuwaku

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

New banzuke for September 2018

[I had to check regarding placement of Sakura and Gurowake.  As recently as May 1997, Gurowake would have been ranked at Y1E (which is what I first thought it should be), but the most recent example (September 2009) shows that Ozumo now put the yusho winner above the jun-yusho winner when the yusho winner was the lower ranked Yokozuna.]

Sakura (YO-W 10-5)  Y1 Gurowake (Y2E 10-5)
Kuroimori (Y1W 6-9) Y2 

YO Jakusotsu (Y1E 4-11)
Gernobono (O1E 5-10) O1 

chishafuwaku (S1E 6-9)  S1  Ryoshishokunin (K1E 5-8-2)  
Andonishiki (M1E 6-8-1) K1 Tenshinhan (M1W 6-9)

orandashoho (K1W 4-10-1) M1 Jejima (M3W 5-10)   
Atenzan (M2E Kosho) M2 shimodahito (S1W 1-13-1)

Profomisakari (M2W 3-12) M3 WAKATAKE (M3E 0-15) 
The Kyokai (M4E 0-15) M4 Umizoi (mz 4-10-1)

Comments:
Yokozunas Sakura and Gurowake are to be commended on upholding the rank of Yokozuna.  We hope to see these two battling for the yusho again in September.

Yokozuna Kuroimori did not quite manage to get the OQ line - and it is hoped that he will strive just that little extra bit harder in Septemeber.

Yokozuna Jakusotsu ended up MK.  It is strongly hoped (nay, strongly insisted) that he regains his form of old, and comes back with good GKA sumo in September. ;-)

Sekiwake chishafuwaku will be considered for promotion to Ozeki with a yusho in September.

Just in case I forget again...
The current way for calculating the KK line is to take the average score of players that have entered picks for at least ten days of the basho - but excludes the score of 'The Kyokai' and any mae-zumo players, and then round it to the nearest whole number.

The OQ line is calculated by doing the above, and then multiplying by 1.3333, and again rounded to the nearest whole number.