Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Nikkan Sports popularity poll

The 7th annual rikishi popularity poll was held by Nikkan Sports. Winner? Kisenosato, for the seventh time.. "I would like to thank the fans for their support. It's really hard to comment on this. I just hope I can meet their expectations," he said. Second place-Abi. "I did it!! I like the number 2.. Of course I'm happy but I hate losing in any competition.. I'm going for a zensho yusho next basho. All rikishi secretly hope for that-I'm just the only one saying it out loud. The fact that I beat my idol Yokozuna Kakuryuu is mind boggling,. I never thought I could ever beat him in anything" he said. Third place- Endou. 

201806130000212-w500_0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Amazing that Kisenosato won the poll when he has not been able to compete for more than a year. Just goes to show that popularity doesn't depend on results, eh? Oh I so hope that he will be able to meet expectations -- but I fear that it's wishful thinking and not physical reality....

Still, I am glad for him. To get so badly injured just after reaching the pinnacle was devastating.

Edited by orandashoho

Posted (edited)

And the rest-quite a few surprises there..

4th: Kakuryuu

5th: Tochinoshin

6th: Aminishiki

7th: Ichinojou

8th: Takayasu

9th: Goueidou

10th: Takakeishou

11th: Shoudai

12th: Hakuhou

13th: Ikioi

14th: Ryuuden

15th: Nishikigi

16th: Hokutofuji

17th: Yoshikaze

18th: Tamawashi

19th-Asanoyama

20th-Chiyomaru

21st: Kagayaki

22nd: Mitakeumi

23rd: Shouhouzan

24th: Kotoshougiku

25th: Yutakayama

26th: Daiamami

27th: Takekaze

28th: Chiyonokuni

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

And the rest-quite a few surprises there.

28th: Chiyonokuni

(Inastateofconfusion...)   

To me at least, this is a surprise. I really like him and I thought his 'sumo style' (IMO, he seems to go all out in every match) would apeal to more people. 

• Like 2

Biggest surprise for me is Nishikigi at 15.  I like him and feel he's improved recently, but didn't expect him to beat Yoshikaze, Mitakeumi, among many others.  

1 hour ago, Kishinoyama said:

(Inastateofconfusion...)   

To me at least, this is a surprise. I really like him and I thought his 'sumo style' (IMO, he seems to go all out in every match) would apeal to more people. 

He's only 4 places behind the guy who was the first Japanese rikishi to win a yusho in 10 years... Its an unexpected list for sure

1 hour ago, Kishinoyama said:

(Inastateofconfusion...)   

I was also surprised at his low ranking, especially after that docu on him awhile back, featuring his trials and tribulations as well as domestic scenes with his wife.

OTOH, Hakuho at #12 ... hmm.

Abi seems quite popular but I just don't find myself warming to his style or the cheeky grins after henka wins.

I’m pretty surprised about the 12th of Hakuho.

4 hours ago, Fede said:

I’m pretty surprised about the 12th of Hakuho.

You’d expect him to be higher up? Foreign, and often lacking hinkaku. I’m not surprised at his placing.

Kisenosato #1 is a joke.

I thought at first it was mostly a beauty contest, but Takakeishou before Ikioi killed that theory. Come to think of it, Takakeishou before ANYONE will kill that theory..

• Haha 2