Akinomaki

Terunofuji's health problems

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I  humbly submit that Terunofuji looked  bad in all his bouts. I think he has no chance whatsoever to get another kachikoshi at this stage, the way he is looking and fighting at present. (Note to self: cut and keep for future reference)

... and here I was going to rename Terunofuji to Tyronofuji after his fearsome 6-1 showing in Makushita division :-P.

On 25/07/2019 at 12:44, robnplunder said:

... and here I was going to rename Terunofuji to Tyronofuji after his fearsome 6-1 showing in Makushita division :-P.

Tyro means ‘novice’, doesn’t it? What are you trying to say about Terunofuji’s sumo right now?

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Tyro means ‘novice’, doesn’t it? What are you trying to say about Terunofuji’s sumo right now?

Tyranofuji was my intention.   A typo but an unintended sarcasm ....

Edited by robnplunder

Just now, robnplunder said:

Tyranofuji was my intention.   A typo but an unintended sarcasm ....

I got it. I was just ribbing you. :)

3 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I got it. I was just ribbing you. :)

Chuckle.   But I really wish him well.  He is too young and talented to fade away.   

While I don't expect Terunofuji to fly up the banzuke I think he will continue to KK, maybe not easily, till he reaches upper makushita.  I think he will get back to the paid ranks but it will be very slow going. 

6 hours ago, Rocks said:

While I don't expect Terunofuji to fly up the banzuke I think he will continue to KK, maybe not easily, till he reaches upper makushita.  I think he will get back to the paid ranks but it will be very slow going. 

I think he is back in Juryu in January.

He will be ranked around Ms 20 in September and I don't see any reason why he can't get at least 5 wins against those opponents. That means he will be high enough in November to get a 4-3 for promotion.

If he can then stay in Juryo, that's a different question.

Posted (edited)

Given his health and injury history and the abilities shown in the Nagoya basho, he is probably best suited for a career as an elevator operator. (See Jokoryu.) Every 18-24 months, you will catch yourself saying, "Hey, I remember him."

Edited by Asojima
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Asojima said:

Given his health and injury history and the abilities shown in the Nagoya basho,

He has no chance of getting a KK even at Maku 20, unless he improves very dramatically. He was looking very disoriented, weak and clueless, in my eyes.

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

He has no chance of getting a KK even at Maku 20, unless he improves very dramatically. He was looking very disoriented, weak and clueless, in my eyes.

I'm happy to bet your house that he is back in juryo in January 2020.

1 hour ago, RPedro44 said:

You're on. My house and my steak.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RPedro44 said:

He will be ranked around Ms 20 in September and I don't see any reason why he can't get at least 5 wins against those opponents. That means he will be high enough in November to get a 4-3 for promotion.

How do you figure that? Even 6 wins from Ms20 are unlikely to get him that high for November, let alone 5.

(And he's not gonna be anywhere near Ms20 to begin with...)

18 hours ago, RPedro44 said:

He will be ranked around Ms 20 in September and I don't see any reason why he can't get at least 5 wins against those opponents. That means he will be high enough in November to get a 4-3 for promotion

This is from my poll. The estimated ranks are calculated from former results:

Jonidan 48. From there he scored a 7-0 Jonidan yusho, a 6-1 at Sandanme 49 and 6-1 as Makushita 59. He will be ranked ~Ms 28 next basho. Another 6-1 as Ms 28 would mean ~Ms 10, with another 6-1 giving him a shot at Juryo promotion from ~Ms 2. Two consecutive 7-0 or 7-0 + 6-1 from Ms 28 would mean Juryo promotion in just 2 basho.

Ranks of Ms59 rikishi after 6-1:

1x Ms26

2x Ms27

10x Ms28

5x Ms29

5x Ms30

Once each Ms31, 32, 36, 38

So my estimated Ms28 fits quite well. From there he NEEDS 6-1 + 7-0 or 2x 7-0 in the next 2 basho for juryo promotion, there is no way around it, except the banzuke committee deciding outrageously in his favour. Yeah, right...

The lowest ranked promotee ever to get to juryo with 2 consecutive 6-1 actually was Hakuho from Ms23, landing him at J12. 

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&n_basho=3&rowcount=5&form1_wins=6&form1_losses=1&form1_ms=on&form2_wins=6&form2_losses=1&form2_ms=on&form3_j=on&sort_basho=1&sort_by=rank

Posted (edited)

Hakuho was lucky because they expanded the sekitori ranks the basho he was promoted; there were 4 extra promotions from Makushita.  So he got in from a much lower rank (6-1 Ms9)  than someone would normally.  The same basho someone was promoted at 4-3 Ms7w and they also promoted a 7-0 Ms16 which they've conspicuously avoided doing even though they could have when they instead took Enho and Takayoshitoshi, who are the only ones recently have gotten that kind of luck.    Interestingly, it looks like even without the 4 extra spots, it would have been down to Hakuho vs. a 5-2 Ms6; not demoting the 4-11s at J10 was probably not going to happen, and the other spots opened by retirement.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx?b=200311#Ms

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/08/2019 at 12:42, RPedro44 said:

In all his bouts Terunofuji looked really slow, and he got all his wins using brute force from his upper body. That´s not going to pan out in high-Makushita.

20 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Well..

This is a very bad idea for a new career.

Makushita 27 E Terunofuji vs.Makushita 27 W Higonojou :

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5

They were kind enough to start it off by feeding him a person whose body is as busted and worn as his. Good start nonetheless.

5 hours ago, Koorifuu said:

They were kind enough to start it off by feeding him a person whose body is as busted and worn as his. Good start nonetheless.

No kindness. Day 1 is usually same rank east against west, barring same-heya rikishi of course. Check out day 1 of Makuuchi. Works there too.

Faced Kitaharima today.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2