Akinomaki

Terunofuji's health problems

Earlier today, I watched a Terunofuji bout from Aki '13, when he'd only recently arrived in Juryo, and almost teared up. I'm not even a Terunofuji fan, but I do think he had Yokozuna potential, and what's happened to him in recent months is upsetting. 

The worst part is, I'm now convinced that he will never recover his ability to resist when pushed back. If his leg was ever going to accept that pressure again, it would have shown at least some small signs of recovery by now. I think his career ended last spring, he didn't recognize it at the time, and still hasn't admitted it to himself. :-(

• Sad 1

He really needs to quit now, even the most optimistic would say there isn't any hope of a comeback.

Former Kotokaze returned to Makunouchi from the depths of Makushita after his first severe knee injury in the late 1970s but Terunofuji has too many complications.  If it was just his knee, he might have had a chance.

Swami

• Like 1

That was...difficult to watch. Seeing the juxtaposition with the video above it is just cruel.

Still, sometimes life is cold and uncomforting. Thank you for sharing it.

Its really sad to see, he should definetly retire and who knows, he might even have a future as an actor, big exotic guy, he needs to get in shape slowly but surely, however, the competitive world of sumo is like a piranha pool and he has no place there at all with his injuries any longer.

Sad to see indeed, he represented pure strenght on the dohyo...