Akinomaki

Terunofuji's health problems

The future doesn't look even a tiny bit bright for Terunofuji. He isn't at the heya's training camp in Sakai now and just concentrates on medical treatment. The left meniscus damage for which he went kyujo is the least of a problem now. Internal diseases is what he has to fight, mainly diabetes and now also hepatitis C is reported. http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2018/06/12/kiji/20180612s00005000212000c.html

Will he continue in sumo? How long?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 11

15 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Will he continue in sumo? How long?

Considering his performance in the last basho, it really seems like he shouldn't.

But I wonder if he in effect, needs to, in order to keep receiving the kind of medical treatment that he needs. Maybe someone with a deeper inside knowledge can confirm this or not? Its the same question that I ask myself everytime I see Ōrora on the Dohyo, as he is also someone who seems like he needs medical care more than he needs to be competing. But I remember hearing that one of the reasons he continues is so he can keep on receiving treatment for his diabetes...

• Like 1

Not everyone can eat 10k calories a day, people need to learn about metabolism in sumo before more great rikishi like him get ruined by bad habits. He was one of my favorites untill i saw his muscles fade away and he went from a big strong rikishi to a weak obese guy. 

I'm sure it was all about his diet, lack of proper training and no injury rest. May the Terunofuji case be an exemple for rikishi to take care of their health, even if you reach a high rank you can't let yourself go.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I've been half-assuming that Terunofuji only hasn't retired yet so he can still pick up his juryo paycheck for June. Not convinced yet that we'll be seeing him on a honbasho dohyo again at all.

Posted (edited)

Terunofuji plans to have knee surgery this month and will likely be kyujo the whole Nagoya basho. The oyakata at the Sakai training camp location told the press: "Using common sense, participating is impossible. Looking forward, the knee has to be cured properly."  Terunofuji had surgery on the right knee in 2015, it is not decided yet which knee it will be this time: "After hearing the result: he's at the hospital today." (left meniscus damage is the official kyujo reason for Natsu)

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2018/06/13/kiji/20180612s00005000303000c.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 5

How come they haven't decided which knee to have surgery? They have decided to make a surgery without knowing what is the problem and then just throw a coin to decide which one?

Seems these medical people are as dumb as Terunofuji and Isegahama. 

Sad to not be able to see one of my favs wrestle again, but it is entirelly his own fault and who is managing him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RPedro44 said:

How come they haven't decided which knee to have surgery? They have decided to make a surgery without knowing what is the problem and then just throw a coin to decide which one?

Seems these medical people are as dumb as Terunofuji and Isegahama. 

It sounds to me as though both knees are in need of surgical attention, but somebody involved thinks it's ill-advised to subject him to both procedures at the same time right now, and they're still debating which one should have higher priority.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Terunofuji plans to have knee surgery this month and will likely be kyujo the whole Nagoya basho. The oyakata at the Sakai training camp location told the press: "Using common sense, participating is impossible. Looking forward, the knee has to be cured properly."  Terunofuji had surgery on the right knee in 2015, it is not decided yet which knee it will be this time: "After hearing the result: he's at the hospital today." (left meniscus damage is the official kyujo reason for Natsu)

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2018/06/13/kiji/20180612s00005000303000c.html

Now he’s not getting paid he should sit out for as long as his body needs, even if it means tumbling all the way down to jonokuchi and losing to Hattorizakura along the way.

That said, I actually think we’ve seen the last of him. He may be able to return to some sort of form, but I can’t see him becoming sekitori again, at least not with any consistency. His best days are well and truly behind him. When he gets past the denial phase he will accept that and retire. I have no idea what he can do next though since, unless I’m mistaken, becoming an oyakata isn’t an option for him.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Now he’s not getting paid he should sit out for as long as his body needs, even if it means tumbling all the way down to jonokuchi and losing to Hattorizakura along the way.

That said, I actually think we’ve seen the last of him. He may be able to return to some sort of form, but I can’t see him becoming sekitori again, at least not with any consistency. His best days are well and truly behind him. When he gets past the denial phase he will accept that and retire. I have no idea what he can do next though since, unless I’m mistaken, becoming an oyakata isn’t an option for him.

As a former Ozeki, Terunofuji does have the option of purchasing  a kabu and becoming an Oyakata. He would, of course, have to become a Japanese citizen first.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bumpkin said:

As a former Ozeki, Terunofuji does have the option of purchasing  a kabu and becoming an Oyakata. He would, of course, have to become a Japanese citizen first.

I would like to see it, he should be able to learn from his mistakes and his' oyakata miskates, in my mind that would make a good coach.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

It’s the lack of Japanese citizenship that led me to say it’s not an option for him. His ozeki rank isn’t particularly relevant actually; one need only have been in makuuchi for twenty tournaments, a condition he just meets (24 basho in the top division to date, at least on paper).

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

It’s the lack of Japanese citizenship that led me to say it’s not an option for him. His ozeki rank isn’t particularly relevant actually; one need only have been in makuuchi for twenty tournaments, a condition he just meets (24 basho in the top division to date, at least on paper).

Being a former Ozeki, he has 3 years after he retires that he can use his shikona before having to acquire a kabu with an elder name.  But still, the lack of Japanese citizenship is the real issue.

Edited by Gurowake

36 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Being a former Ozeki, he has 3 years after he retires that he can use his shikona before having to acquire a kabu with an elder name.  But still, the lack of Japanese citizenship is the real issue.

You’re right. I had mistakenly remembered that Ozeki were included in the changes to the jun-toshiyori system. I thought it affected everyone below Yokozuna, but it’s Yokozuna and Ozeki.

44 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Although I interpreted the wording of the original post

On 6/14/2018 at 07:46,  Bumpkin said: 

As a former Ozeki, Terunofuji does have the option of purchasing  a kabu 

to mean that he has the right to buy a kabu by virtue of having been an Ozeki, when of course you can buy a kabu even if you only made it to juryo, providing you were there long enough.

• Like 1

How hard is it for these guys to get citizenship? Do they have to do the full naturalization process, which I hear for Japan is difficult and requires giving up your prior citizenship, or do they have some form of expedited naturalization?

2 hours ago, Churaumi said:

How hard is it for these guys to get citizenship? Do they have to do the full naturalization process, which I hear for Japan is difficult and requires giving up your prior citizenship, or do they have some form of expedited naturalization?

I don't believe there is any expedition. The book Gaijin Yokozuna pointed out that they wouldn't give citizenship to Chad Rowan; he had to legally become Akebono Taro.

I know they used to make foreigners take Japanese names, they still might. I was thinking more like paperwork, citizenship classes, whatever it is they make gaijin do to become nihonjin. Do they make these guys do all that?

You can keep your name if you get permanent residence, but you have to assume a Japanese name if you are to become a citizen. Not like the US where you can keep your name from your country of origin.

On 6/13/2018 at 14:41, Akinomaki said:

Terunofuji plans to have knee surgery this month and will likely be kyujo the whole Nagoya basho. The oyakata at the Sakai training camp location told the press: "Using common sense, participating is impossible. Looking forward, the knee has to be cured properly."  Terunofuji had surgery on the right knee in 2015, it is not decided yet which knee it will be this time

Terunofuji on the 25th had surgery on both knees - the oyakata made no statement about the kyujo for the Nagoya-basho. http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2018/06/30/0011403348.shtml

• Thanks 6

On 6/12/2018 at 17:53, Akinomaki said:

Internal diseases is what he has to fight, mainly diabetes and now also hepatitis C is reported.

Add to that kidney stones. The oyakata wants him to have both knees properly healed before he starts again at a basho. Tochinoshin had dropped to ms w55 at age 27 - Terunofuji will drop around there after a kyujo. http://npn.co.jp/article/detail/49710703/

Many articles focus on the first ex-ozeki in makushita - some historical facts about (dropped) ozeki:

Ozeki is something very special as the highest banzuke rank till 1908, and sanyaku originally means the top 3 ranks komusubi, sekiwake and ozeki. From juryo on, a rikishi is sekitori, with in the past ozeki at the top, coming from (grand-)oo-sekitori.

Usually, the honor of an (ex-)ozeki prohibits him from even fighting in juryo.

Daiju dropped to juryo Natsu 1977, but had no toshiyori kabu, and at the time there was no grace period for ex-ozeki, to remain in the NSK without kabu and search for one within 3 years. He lost the first 3 days and then went kyujo, got at last a kabu and retired.

Miyabiyama dropped to juryo after suspension in Nagoya 2010 at the baseball gambling scandal and returned at once from there - the 2nd time he dropped he fought in juryo without hope to return (but he had fought on in juryo before - so why not try ...) and retired with the drop to makushita imminent.

Baruto didn't step onto the juryo dohyo and retired during prolonged kyujo.

http://mainichi.jp/articles/20180703/ddm/035/070/030000c

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Terunofuji is still in the hospital after surgery on the 25th - of course kyujo the whole basho. The oyakata: "It depends on the recovery condition, we don't know when it (the comeback) will be. The doctors say that he will become able to do sumo again. When he reappears, I'll put him back in perfect condition." http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20180708/sum18070816190008-n1.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish him luck and good health. The interesting thing to see is what his weight will be if he ever comes back. He's going to have a long period of inactivity and he's liable to go on diet to get the diabetes under control. He could end up much lighter. 

I have to wonder what Terunofuji's financial health is like. Perhaps he endures the indignity of the banzuke slide in order to have better access to comprehensive healthcare? I wish him a return to good health but can't imagine he will ever return to compete in sumo.

That whole Terunofuji story is soooo sad... I started to follow sumo by watching passed bashos starting from year 2015. He was so great, with no doubt the next yokozuna, and then, the terrible bout against Kisenosato in September 2015, the beginning of the end...

I hope so much to see him again on a dohyo !

Anyone knows anything new about Teru?

I know he is still out, but last news i can find is (above) from the 8th of July, where he was still in Hospital.

Thanks