Akinomaki

Terunofuji Watch

The way he sent his opponent off the dohyo with one two-handed thrust a few days ago makes me wonder if changing to oshi sumo would extend his career. Could he do that switch ?

Doing sensible training and becoming more confident, is my guess. 
He may have adapted to what is possible. He sees what works and concentrates on that. Whether that will be enough when he gets to the Makushita joi, let alone in the paid ranks, is a big question.

Ya, it remains to be seen how he deals with the top makushita guys, but he's making it look easy so far and that's about as good a sign as he can show at his current rank. He looked awful when he went 7-0 in jonidan and I thought he was finished, but he's looked progressively better moving back up the ranks, and now a return to sekitorihood seems realistic.

I am wishing him the best!

Edited by Katooshu
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, orandashoho said:

Doing sensible training and becoming more confident, is my guess. 
He may have adapted to what is possible. He sees what works and concentrates on that. Whether that will be enough when he gets to the Makushita joi, let alone in the paid ranks, is a big question.

He is making that question into a much smaller one.   He is now 5-0, and looks strong enough to do well even as a Makushita joi.    We may not have to wait that long to see that happen.  Two more wins and he will be ranked near top of the Makushita division in the next basho.  However, it won't be easy as he is likely to face former Makuuchi comrades the likes of Chiyonokuni (5-0) and Chiyottori (5-0).     It is going to be an interesting Makushita yusho race.

Edited by robnplunder

On 09/09/2019 at 19:23, Kintamayama said:

No kindness. Day 1 is usually same rank east against west, barring same-heya rikishi of course. Check out day 1 of Makuuchi. Works there too.

I'm officially that kind of person who clearly remembers Higonojo being bounced around in juryo for a few basho, but who hadn't noticed that matchup is common in day 1.

Regarding that mean wrecking ball that we call Terunofuji, well, the most optimistic expectations have been delivered so far. I didn't see that coming for sure.

Technique has always been lacking for him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's still strong enough to return to juryo though, and his results on the climb back up have been good enough to inspire some positivity where things were once looking dismal. This basho will tell us a lot I think....

Edited by Katooshu

So how is he? Terunofuji bout 1 Kyushu 2019. I think he isn’t doing any sumo, but he’s winning..

Bout 2:

Bout 3:

• Thanks 2

He really has never done sumo much different than that in terms of his approach. Even in his prime he'd just sort of fumble around until he could grab someone and toss them around, often from positions that would be highly disadvantageous to most other rikishi. He is doing well enough to affirm my thought that he'll at least return to juryo--he looked so bad in his 7-0 D down in jonidan but seems in better shape and more comfortable as he's moved up the ranks again, and he's kept winning fairly easily even vs opponents with a bit of skill or power of their own.

Edited by Katooshu

He’s got some leg muscles back. His legs were so skinny when he started over.

1 hour ago, Churaumi said:

He’s got some leg muscles back. His legs were so skinny when he started over.

He's going to need them.

On 15/11/2019 at 20:13, Kintamayama said:

So how is he? Terunofuji bout 1 Kyushu 2019. I think he isn’t doing any sumo, but he’s winning..

At this level, he doesn't have to do sumo, all he has to do is lean...

I liked that second bout though.

Bout 4 against Shiba, excellent sumo for a change:

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 08/11/2019 at 13:35, Otokonoyama said:

Seen here in the gym. Strong, yes. Technique, lacking.

How much weight is there?

2 hours ago, Gabriel said:

How much weight is there?

Looks like 300 kg/660 lbs.

Bout  5- against Shouhouryuu, not to be confused with Houshouryuu, Ryoushooyuu, Shourouyuu, or Yoshikaze:

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

He's 31-3 in the last 5 bashos. Which is good.. And a win on Friday against W51 Tsushimanada (recovering from an injury as well)  will see him in Juryo next basho.

Edited by Kintamayama