Terunofuji Watch

On 02/08/2019 at 14:25, Kintamayama said:

You're on. My house and my steak.

Have you started cooking my steak?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RPedro44 said:

Have you started cooking my steak?

Ready hours ago.

Congrats to Terunofuji on securing his return to sekitori status. It really, really wasn't pretty for the first three of these five comeback tournaments, but what he's shown in Aki and Kyushu was totally deserving of the success he achieved there.

However, I'm pretty worried how much he's still relying on brute force as his Plan A. I can't help but fear that before long juryo will see him running into a big bopper like Mitoryu or Daiamami who ends up resisting in ways other opponents didn't, and kaboom goes one of Terunofuji's knees again...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Congrats to Terunofuji on securing his return to sekitori status. It really, really wasn't pretty for the first three of these five comeback tournaments, but what he's shown in Aki and Kyushu was totally deserving of the success he achieved there.

However, I'm pretty worried how much he's still relying on brute force as his Plan A. I can't help but fear that before long juryo will see him running into a big bopper like Mitoryu or Daiamami who ends up resisting in ways other opponents didn't, and kaboom goes one of Terunofuji's knees again...

I was also worried to see him giving up the morozashi and doing the sort of kannuki grip that resulted in gruelling long bouts during his makuuchi tenure. He seems to be strong enough to pull that off again in makushita-jo'i, but I'm not too sure about makuuchi or even juryo. And it can't be doing him too many favours, injury-wise. 

• Like 1

Terunofuji's strength is back - he showed it with a 7-0 against 3 makuuchi, Yutakayama (4), Shodai and also visitor Azumaryu at degeiko to Tokitsukaze-beya today. He was hindered by asthma though: "2 bouts and I gasp". https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2020/01/04/kiji/20200104s00005000170000c.html

Till the basho he wants to expand his possible keiko capacity to 20 bouts, and he's building strength with continuous weight training: "I'd like to aim for a body like Chiyonofuji". https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202001040000270.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

He needs to tailor his attack more according to his opponent, as others have said using the kimedashi style for the vast majority of the time will surely result in more knee trouble.

I'll stick my neck out and guess he might win 9 or 10 this time - might!

Swami

Day 1 - Terunofuji - Chiyoootori 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

He looked damn good against Sakigake, i'm getting emotional over his comeback :'-(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

He looked damn good against Sakigake, i'm getting emotional over his comeback :'-(

Ya, it may 'only' be juryo, but it's great to see him with some swagger and the 'mean' face again (Clappingwildly...)

• Like 2

Day 3 versus Hoshoryu

He fairly impressively thwarts the technically skilled man-in-blue and turns in his third beast-mode match in a row. Cheering for him, and sure hope he can manage those injuries all the way to the close of this basho.

Edited by Otokonoyama
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Katooshu said:

Looks like keiko with the kids so far

That will change tomorrow against his nemesis Kyokushuho.

Looks like I've been wrong about Terunofuji's comeback. I doubt he'll make it back to ozeki but makuuchi seems achievable.