Akinomaki

Terunofuji Watch

I was a strong club player and I never heard of that. I'm struggling to think of what an embarrassing but good move would even be.

The only embarrassing moves were missing something obvious and playing a terrible move and pretty much instantly losing.

Most likely to sit out Haru as well. "I think I will wait till the last minute to decide if I'm in or out. I will listen to my body and my Oyakata. I'm not in perfect shape , but I'm OK ," he said. He has not started doing any sumo in training. "I get all excited when I watch sumo on TV. My feelings for it have not vanished!" he declared.

• Thanks 7

Unless he build a good amount of muscle on his legs, he won't make it back to juryo.

19 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

Unless he build a good amount of muscle on his legs, he won't make it back to juryo.

Agreed. Never skip leg day kids !

Now Terunofuji's Oyakata is saying he is planning to enter Haru. "He came to Osaka with the intention of entering and is training. He probably feels it's worth a try.." said Isegahama Oyakata.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Now Terunofuji's Oyakata is saying he is planning to enter Haru. "He came to Osaka with the intention of entering and is training. He probably feels it's worth a a try.." said Isegahama Oyakata.

At Jd48w what does he have to lose?

He only had this tournament and next, then he’d be banzuke-gai and have to start over in maezumo. I’d have waited one more if I were him and do the “go 0-1-6” thing people sometimes do just to stay on the banzuke. Think about how surreal it would be if he drew Hattorizakura for that one bout. Ex-ozeki vs. the least dominant man in professional sports. Might be the bout of the century so far. Can you imagine the mono-ii when they both stand up and walk backward out of the ring at the same time?

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

On 25/02/2019 at 17:42, Churaumi said:

Can you imagine the mono-ii when they both stand up and walk backward out of the ring at the same time?

I really shouldn't laugh. It is truly sad how far Terunofuji has fallen. Two years ago he lost a final day playoff... I can't even deny the intrigue in that match tbh. 

"I''m hoping to be back in Makuuchi in a year and a half. I'm not a man if I don't overcome this!," declared Terunofuji from Jonidan 48.  "Winning is important, but getting through all 7 bouts is just as important. People around me are saying that it's Jonidan so it's natural I should win the yusho, but that's not what I think," he alibied. An ex-Ozeki has never done sumo ranked lower than Makushita.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Looking at the photo, it appears his knee is not ok.   What else?  

Here's how I imagine how Teruno vs Hattori bout will end up.   Hattori will enter the ring and soon begin to pee inside his mawashi out of abject fear.  He wants the bout over ASAP before Teruno can physically hurt him.   Teruno meanwhile is planning to drop his right knee as soon as the bout begins.   But sensing Hattori's fear, he changes his mind and just stares at Hattori.   By now, Hattori is panicking inside.  And when the bell rings, he feints and passes out giving Terno his 1st win.   He will be happy to go 1-0-6.   Next day, Asahi Shimbun's sports section headlines the bout, the match of the basho.    All kidding aside, I think Teruno should return when he is in no danger of making his injury worse.  As for Hattori, I think he can quit now and start his own cult. 

Edited by robnplunder

The JSA should introduce a kinboshi-style bonus for toriteki who beat an ex-makuuchi guy, with more for beating ex-sanyaku and ozeki.

Just an idea that came to mind thinking about Teru in Jonidan, facing all these kids who will never achieve anything in sumo, but could claim one scalp against him that they will remember forever.

Edited by Eikokurai

4 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

The JSA should introduce a kinboshi-style bonus for toriteki who beat an ex-makuuchi guy, with more for beating ex-sanyaku and ozeki.

Just an idea that came to mind thinking about Teru in Jonidan, facing all these kids who will never achieve anything in sumo, but could claim one scalp against him that they will remember forever.

Nah, I don't like the idea.   That may give added hardship to ex-makuuchi guys with all the "kids" gunning for their head.   Don't they get bonus for KK anyway?

1 minute ago, robnplunder said:

Nah, I don't like the idea.   That may give added hardship to ex-makuuchi guys with all the "kids" gunning for their head.   Don't they get bonus for KK anyway?

Hardship? It’s sumo. If you’re not up to the challenge of a 16 year old kid trying to beat you, retire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Terunofuji asked about his condition: "As you can see".

The oyakata was a bit more talkative:  "The knee is not in perfect condition, but he's doing keiko. Makushita, sandanme rikishi can't match him." "Aiming for return to sekitori, it's important to first of all do sumo this basho." http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20190308-OHT1T50096.html

20190308-OHT1I50098-L.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Not the most flattering picture, those hives or stretch marks look uncomfortable.

3 hours ago, Churaumi said:

Not the most flattering picture, those hives or stretch marks look uncomfortable.

It looks like a vein thing.  There's a lot of constriction from the mawashi, however ... I'm worried about diabetes with this guy.

He looks as if he has aged at least 10 years, surely common sense has to kick in somewhere, if not from Terunofuji himself, then his oyakata, he has to pull the plug.

Swami

On 09/03/2019 at 01:54, Yamanashi said:

It looks like a vein thing.  There's a lot of constriction from the mawashi, however ... I'm worried about diabetes with this guy.

Type II diabetes can be contained very well nowadays. To me it looks like he has lost weight, making those marks appear. Their color depends on their age and the blood vessels underneath. After excersise that can look quite scary.

Edited by Gospodin

He won his first bout today against 18 year old Wakanoguchi by hatakikomi, his first win after 352 days. "I was nervous and my ring sense is so-so, as was the quality of my sumo, probably as usual..Although I have fought on the last bout of the day, the crowd encouragement made me happy since it's been awhile, anxiety notwithstanding. I decided to enter after arriving in Osaka and training with the lower rankers," he answered. 

201903100000204-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

No matter how high up he goes Wakanoguchi can always say he fought Ozeki Terunofuji.

Terunofuji falls all the way down to mid Jonidan and faces who today? Another recovering ex-Makuuchi rikishi-Amakaze. Terunofuji won by kotenage. 2-0.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Actually Amakaze has been in Ozumo longer than Terunofuji, though they're both 27. Funny how they both tumbled down the ranks at the same time with a long absence, to end up facing each other again on reentry.

6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Terunofuji falls all the way down to mid Jonidan and faces who today? Another recovering ex-Makuuchi rikishi-Amakaze. Terunofuji won by kotenage. 2-0.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4