Hakuhou's tsukebito: "Moshimoshi?"

Tochitochi: "Is the Yokozuna available?"

HT: "Boss, I think it's the guy with the funny Japanese and severe coughing.."

Hakuhou: "Tell him I'm out."

HT: "He says he's out."

T: "Oy, Bijou, come on.. He's not still angry that I finally beat him, is he?"

HT: "Boss, are you still an.. oops.. He's unavailable at the moment."

T: "I know he's there.."

Hakuhou takes the phone: "This better be good. I stopped my toe massage for this. Are you calling to gloat over your win? Are you wondering why there never was a playoff? Are you thinking there might be a connection there?"

T: Severe coughing.

H: "Will this take long?"

T: "I'm fine. Did you know I broke my hand in two places on day 13?'

H: "Yeah, that happened to me once too. First I broke it in the kitchen when I slipped, and then I broke it again in the shower."

T: "Very funny. I deserved that yusho!!

H: "Yes you did. Anything else before I slam the phone down?"

T: "I was wondering what to say during my Ozeki acceptance speech, and hoped you might give me a tip or three..'"

H: "Sure. Keep it simple. Use few words. Don't cough. Don't mention the war. Do it in Japanese. That's about it."

T: "Oh, this conversation changed my life. Thanks for nothing." Cough.

H: "Any time. Can't wait for our next meeting on the dohyo, Bijou."

T: Cough. Cough. Cough.

Fade out.

This never happened. Or did it? One thing is for sure- This is an invitation to play GTB (Guess the Banzuke), the only sumo game played between basho come what May. Or July.

Rules: Guess the Banzuke. Simple. You get two points for a bulls-eye and one point for just getting the rank right. You get no points for buying illegal cough drops.

Tiebreakers - Most total guesses, then, we check the banzuke backwards - getting the lower half right will be important.  The most correct guesses in the last ten places will win the tiebreaker. If still tied , we go up a ranking at a time like a penalty shootout. Then Tochinoshin became Ozeki. so you have at least one correct guess there. Wait.. but at what Ozeki rank? OK, so maybe not.
It's up to you to check if you are on the list of entries. It's going to be your fault if you don't notice that your entry went missing in the Internet void. No late entries will be expected or accepted.

For rules, standings and Strepsils:
http://www.dichne.com/Guess.htm

For the nifty entry form:
http://sumodb.sumoga...b/GTBEntry.aspx

For the "new" archives:
http://sumodb.sumoga...gtbarchive.aspx

Free online live sumo for foreign sumo fans as well!!
http://inyourdreams-suckers.tv

Deadline- MONDAY, June 18th, 2018  at 18:00 GMT ("Go Man, Tochinoshin!!!"") - PLEASE NOTE-THIS IS ONE WEEK BEFORE THE OFFICIAL BANZUKE ANNOUNCEMENT!!

NEW!!! The Awesome GTB Helper, conceived by Tsuchinoninjin -  makes making an entry a piece of cake!!

Special thanks to Andoreasu who runs it, Doitsuyama who automates and maintains it  and to Kisenosato, because we must not forget he stil exists.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

This looks like it's going to be very tricky, especially near the bottom.  I could see myself not getting anything right M10 and below.  How far do you promote the guys coming in from Juryo?  How far do you demote Yutakayama and Ryuden?  Do you try to keep the promotions for Aoiyama, Sadanoumi, and Tochiozan similar, or do you not care if one moves up a wildly different amount than another despite having the same record and being in the same area of the banzuke?

Agreed on the promotions from juryo, but the MKs seem to slot in pretty easily in my opinion. Of course, by saying that I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment.

Anyway, the banzuke-making Google spreadsheet is updated for Nagoya.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Bump! 

I know the FIFA World Cup starts tomorrow but more important: The GTB deadline is Monday the 18th.
@Rocks that ´s just five days to go so don´t forget to submit your Banzuke ;-) 
I don´t expect much from my guess this time as it is the first Banzuke I made up without a proper drink to stimulate my brain
and I am pretty sure the Banzuke committee can't be doing it like that  (Laughing...) 

Thanks a lot to Asashosakari for the Google Spreadsheet, without that I'd be absolutely lost!

Edited by RaeucherLax
Thx
  • Haha 1

Im working on the helper, trying to have it keep the position of the cards if you close or reload the page. There's some trouble though, reloading spreads the cards around because it saves only the release point. If you know how to save a list of appended childs and repopulate them in load in JQuery please let me know!

Otherwise I'll have old style by tomorrow.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Asashosakari said:

50 entries to this point; just under 36 hours remain.

We’ll have a lot less than lately probably because of the Mundial. Still, a day and a half to go. 53 now.

Edited by Kintamayama

Dropped Yutakayama 11 places, think I may have overdone it on that one, oh well, have entered it now!

Posted (edited)

getting a 404 error ("File or directory not found") when trying to enter, hope that can be fixed before the deadline.

Edited by kuroimori

Big thanks to Tsuchinoninjin, I probably would not have made the deadline without your updated helper!  

On 6/17/2018 at 13:23, kuroimori said:

getting a 404 error ("File or directory not found") when trying to enter, hope that can be fixed before the deadline.

Me too.

Thanks

On 6/13/2018 at 15:54, RaeucherLax said:

Bump! 

I know the FIFA World Cup starts tomorrow but more important: The GTB deadline is Monday the 18th.
@Rocks that ´s just five days to go so don´t forget to submit your Banzuke ;-) 
I don´t expect much from my guess this time as it is the first Banzuke I made up without a proper drink to stimulate my brain
and I am pretty sure the Banzuke committee can't be doing it like that  (Laughing...) 

Thanks a lot to Asashosakari for the Google Spreadsheet, without that I'd be absolutely lost!

I'm trying. 1/2 hour till the deadline and I'm getting a 404 error.  I will probably do poorly anyway as I completely winged it.

Hopefully it comes up before the deadline.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well, deadline is now and still getting a 404 error. Any chance the deadline gets extended @Kintamayama ?

Well, it's up, and it says too late.

I sent an email. Hope that is okay.

Edited by Rocks

Thankfully I managed to get my entry in yesterday during one of the moments when sumogames was still up...

Not optimistic at all (like usual), but we'll see what happens.

3 hours ago, Rocks said:

Well, deadline is now and still getting a 404 error. Any chance the deadline gets extended @Kintamayama ?

Well, it's up, and it says too late.

I sent an email. Hope that is okay.

Which address did you send it to?

1 minute ago, Kintamayama said:

Which address did you send it to?

The one at the bottom of the entry page. motidi@yahoo.com

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2018 at 11:50, Ryoshishokunin said:

For some reason I'm marked as a new entry--I may have typoed something somewhere, but I'm not new anymore.  Can that be fixed?

This error in the published Natsu results has since also appeared in the archives on the DB.

old player ID: http://sumodb.sumogames.de/gtb/GTBPlayer.aspx?p=626
new player ID: http://sumodb.sumogames.de/gtb/GTBPlayer.aspx?p=668

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Thanks 1

DEADLINE EXTENDED by 24 hours. Please send your entries ASAP.

1 minute ago, Rocks said:

The one at the bottom of the entry page. motidi@yahoo.com

Deadline extended.

14 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Deadline extended.

Thank you! I'm in!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rocks said:

Thank you! I'm in!

With a new shikona, I see. ;-)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

With a new shikona, I see. ;-)

Dang it! I was so busy worrying about getting my entry in I messed up the spelling. Hopefully they will catch that and fix it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So, deadline post, take two...75 entries this basho.

My attempt...

Kakuryu (Y1e 14-1 Y)     Y1   Hakuho (Y1w 11-4)
Kisenosato (Y2e 0-0-15)  Y2   ---
Goeido (Ow 3-6-6)        O1   Takayasu (Oe 0-0-15)
---                      O2   Tochinoshin (Se 13-2)
Ichinojo (Sw 8-7)        S    Mitakeumi (Ke 9-6)
Tamawashi (M1e 8-7)      K    Shohozan (M2e 8-7)

Shodai (M4w 9-6)         M1   Chiyonokuni (M11w 12-3)
Kotoshogiku (M5e 8-7)    M2   Ikioi (M5w 8-7)
Abi (M2w 7-8)            M3   Kaisei (M1w 6-9)
Takakeisho (M10w 10-5)   M4   Kagayaki (M8w 9-6)
Daishomaru (M9e 9-6)     M5   Yoshikaze (M8e 8-7)
Chiyotairyu (M4e 6-9)    M6   Endo (Kw 3-10-2)
Daieisho (M3e 5-10)      M7   Takarafuji (M6w 7-8)
Chiyoshoma (M6e 6-9)     M8   Kyokutaisei (M15w 10-5)
Myogiryu (M16e 10-5)     M9   Nishikigi (M17e 10-5)
Aoiyama (M13w 8-7)       M10  Sadanoumi (M14e 8-7)
Onosho (J1w 12-3 Y)      M11  Chiyomaru (M7w 5-10)
Tochiozan (M15e 8-7)     M12  Yutakayama (M3w 2-13)
Arawashi (M12e 7-8)      M13  Asanoyama (M12w 7-8)
Kotoeko (J2e 11-4)       M14  Okinoumi (M10e 5-10)
Ryuden (M7e 3-12)        M15  Ishiura (M13e 6-9)
Meisei (J4e 10-5)        M16  Hokutofuji (M9w 4-7-4)

That's actually my first draft. I looked at it several more times in order to change something, but I just couldn't find any place to improve upon perfection. B-) I doubt the final result will affirm my optimism though.

To me, the most contentious question is how high to promote Onosho (and by extension Kotoeko), especially relative to the KKs by low-ranked maegashira. A review of the last few years' worth of cases confirmed my suspicion that they really don't seem to have any discernible guidelines for this. I think the highest he might go is M9w as I'd find it rather incredible if they had him pass Myogiryu (let alone Kyokutaisei), while the lowest position that makes any sense is probably M12w.

It looks like my guess simply splits the difference between high and low, but I ended up deciding on M11e in a different way...my personal best-guess guideline for such promotions puts Onosho even with Sadanoumi, and I broke the tie in favour of the veteran. The order of everybody else from Kyokutaisei to Asanoyama doesn't leave much room for deviation.

The M1-M5 area looks suspiciously easy and will probably provide either lots of points or lots of misses to almost everyone. Endo is a bit of a wildcard right below, although I'd be shocked if he's ranked outside the M6e-M7e corridor.

Edited by Asashosakari

image.png.a354ff2cabccfa5318f8df86ca605793.png

I seem to agree with Asashosakari on far more than I would have expected.