Michishige

Kabu Question

So while others are focused on whether or not Tochinoshin can jump right into the Yokozuna ranks, I’m a bit curious about what this promotion means for his post-retirement prospects. I don’t recall hearing that he owns a kabu. Does becoming an Ozeki make it more likely that he can obtain on and stay on after his intai? Does it matter that he has a yusho (possibly more than one by Sunday)? I know it’s not automatic that someone can stay on even with the right financial resources. How do things look for Tochinoshin?

Let’s assume, for the sake of discussion, that he wants to stay if he can. 

No Japanese citizenship = no kabu, that's the biggest hurdle for the start.

Assuming he decides to naturalize, being a former ozeki would mean that he has three post-retirement years to find a kabu, during which he could simply remain on as Tochinoshin-oyakata, similar to how Kotooshu did recently before becoming Naruto. Long-term, who knows - my understanding is that Kasugano-beya/-oyakata is both relatively strong in financial terms and has a lot of pull behind the scenes, so I would imagine that it should be possible for Tochinoshin to find a spot if he wants one. The stable does have an affiliated oyakata (Matsuchiyama) retiring in three years, but I don't know whether that kabu is already spoken for somebody else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

It’s irrelevant until he pursues Japanese citizenship. It’s very unlikely they would gift him a kabu like they did Taiho, Kitanoumi, or Takanohana unless he becomes both Japanese and a daiyokozuna. The only kabu advantage he’ll have as an ozeki is he’s paid more and he’ll better be able to afford one.

Edited by Churaumi
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Asashosakari said:

No Japanese citizenship = no kabu, that's the biggest hurdle for the start.

Assuming he decides to naturalize, being a former ozeki would mean that he has three post-retirement years to find a kabu, during which he could simply remain on as Tochinoshin-oyakata, similar to how Kotooshu did recently before becoming Naruto. Long-term, who knows - my understanding is that Kasugano-beya/-oyakata is both relatively strong in financial terms and has a lot of pull behind the scenes, so I would imagine that it should be possible for Tochinoshin to find a spot if he wants one. The stable does have an affiliated oyakata (Matsuchiyama) retiring in three years, but I don't know whether that kabu is already spoken for somebody else.

I even knew about the citizenship requirement and still forgot to stipulate that part. :'-(

Thank you for the additional context. I appreciate it!

4 hours ago, Michishige said:

Let’s assume, for the sake of discussion, that he wants to stay if he can. 

I'm not sure that's a safe assumption. Tochinoshin is a Georgian with a Georgian wife and child living in Georgia, which suggests to me that he has no intention of becoming a naturalised Japanese citizen.

Still, as Asashosakari pointed out, as an ozeki he will have three post-intai years to change his mind.

Edited by RabidJohn

Just now, RabidJohn said:

I'm not sure that's a reasonable assumption. Tochinoshin is a Georgian with a Georgian wife and child living in Georgia, which suggests to me that he has no intention of becoming a naturalised Japanese citizen.

Still, as Asashosakari pointed out, as an Ozeki he will have three post-intai years to change his mind.

I agree with you, if I'm honest. I ask the question more to get some insight into the general case of someone who ends their career as someone who has reached Ozeki and who has some accomplishments under their belt. I don't understand all the politics of who can get a kabu, so I thought publicity and/or public popularity (as Tochinoshin seems to be gaining) might have an influence in addition to the financial resources. 

3 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Still, as Asashosakari pointed out, as an ozeki he will have three post-intai years to change his mind.

It's not like that. Citizenship is a pre-requisite for being offered the three-year grace period, too, not just for holding a "full" kabu.

• Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

It's not like that. Citizenship is a pre-requisite for being offered the three-year grace period, too, not just for holding a "full" kabu.

And recent history shows that an about-to-retire foreigner starts the citizenship process while still an active rikishi.  Then all the papers and commentators say "well, he's going to become an oyakata."

Will succesful sumotori somehow granted an (ofc inoffial) fast-track naturalization? Or are they treated like every other one too?