Sign in to follow this  
Ack!

Former Sekitori

As I’m getting older, I’m beginning to relate to those former sekitori who are fighting for a chance to return, so I thought I’d write a bit about them and their chances.

Ms1e Amakaze, age 26: This is Amakaze’s first basho in Makushita in more than 3 years.  His 3-12 record last basho suggests injury, as he has been steady in mid-Juryo for quite some time.  The question is if the injury is still affecting him since 4-3 is all he needs for a return.  Return chances:  unknown for this tournament, but very likely eventually.

Ms2e Tochihiryu, age 31: Tochihiryu has spent the last three years in Makushita, with the exception of Hatsu 2018 (4-11 at J12w).  He has alternated KK and MK for the last 7 tournaments.  Last basho he managed 4-3 at Ms3e, which suggests the potential for a return, but it also means he is due for MK.  Return chances: good, both now and in the future.  He seems to be trending upward with two consecutive appearances in the promotion zone.

Ms2w Jokoryu, age 29: Most people expected more out of Jokoryu’s career than he has produced to date.  He simply hasn’t been the same since Hatsu 2015 where he managed a kinboshi but finished with only a 5-7-3 record.  After falling out of Makuuchi, Hatsu 2016 showed him no better luck in his return to the division, again going kyujo 2-4-9.  After missing two more tournaments consecutively later in the year, he rebounded with a 7-0 Sandanme yusho, but has fallen short in two trips to the promotion zone since that time.  Last basho was his best performance since, going 6-1 at Ms9w.  But can he follow that up?  Return chances: I’d say 50/50 at best.  He has yet to KK above Ms8.  I’d give him one more realistic chance should he fail to KK this time.

Ms3e Kizenryu, age 33: He’s been up and down between Juryo and Makushita many times over the last several years.  Sure he’s getting older, but nothing indicates a decrease in his performance.  Return chances: very likely.

Ms3w Akua, age 27: Akua has managed only one Juryo appearance, and that was in the Hatsu basho.  Fighting at Ms5w last basho, he had a chance to return but only managed a minimal 4-3 KK.  Return chances: unlikely, although he has a few good years left to keep trying.

Ms4w Kitaharima, age 31: Time seems to be running out for Kitaharima.  Since falling back to Makushita, he has managed two brief returns, but with 4 consecutive tournaments in Makushita now, one wonders if he can still manage it once again.  Return chances:  Probably can manage one last return, but if it isn’t now, the odds will drop significantly.

Ms5w Dewahayate, age 29: He hasn’t managed a KK above Ms10 since his last return in 2016.  No reason to expect anything different.  Return chances:  nearly zero.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Ack! said:

Ms1e Amakaze, age 26: This is Amakaze’s first basho in Makushita in more than 3 years.  His 3-12 record last basho suggests injury, as he has been steady in mid-Juryo for quite some time.  The question is if the injury is still affecting him since 4-3 is all he needs for a return.  Return chances:  unknown for this tournament, but very likely eventually.

To be honest, his demotion seemed inevitable. Amakaze has looked intermittently terrible for at least a year now, and it was only a matter of time until a basho came around in which he wasn't going to be able to limit the bad times to the usual five or so days. (Or was going to be ranked so low that five bad days would already be too many.) When he has one of those bad spells, he looks a lot like Terunofuji in that he just can't hold his ground even against underpowered opponents.

The problem now that he's in makushita is that five bad days are pretty much always too many, because it's really hard to get out of an 0-2 or 0-3 hole again if you're not dominant enough to just flatten the opposition on the other ~10 days.

Edited by Asashosakari

On 15/05/2018 at 05:18, Ack! said:

Ms3e Kizenryu, age 33: He’s been up and down between Juryo and Makushita many times over the last several years.  Sure he’s getting older, but nothing indicates a decrease in his performance.  Return chances: very likely.

I have a hazy recollection that Kizenryu had some sort of ACL issue around July or September last year which caused him to drop down the rankings (as opposed to just erratic performance). As long as that has sorted itself out then I agree there’s no reason why he can’t return. 

It's good to see Toyonoshima and Toyohibiki both 3-0 at Ms14 and Ms20, respectively.  Toyonoshima has shown, though, that he cannot compete in/near the promotion zone at this point in his long career.  Can more newly demoted Tokohibiki do any better?

Poor Masunoyama is 0-2 at Ms 38.  It's impossible not to root for his comeback, so I'm hoping for better results in his remaining bouts.  Ganbatte!  (Uwatenage...)

26 minutes ago, Ack! said:

Poor Masunoyama is 0-2 at Ms 38.  It's impossible not to root for his comeback, so I'm hoping for better results in his remaining bouts.  Ganbatte! 

Unfortunately it looks like sure demotion to sandanme for Masunoyama

On 5/16/2018 at 15:49, Fukurou said:

Day 5

withdrawing on day 5

Ms38w MASUNOYAMA (0-2)

• Sad 1

Ms2w JOKORYU recovered somewhat from his opening bout loss, now at 2-1. He'd need three more wins to have a chance, but his other performances at the top of the Makushita joi have been less than stellar -- MKs each time he climbed higher than Ms5...

49 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

Ms2w JOKORYU recovered somewhat from his opening bout loss, now at 2-1. He'd need three more wins to have a chance, but his other performances at the top of the Makushita joi have been less than stellar -- MKs each time he climbed higher than Ms5...

Don't jinx the Joker!

• Sad 1

On 5/17/2018 at 06:29, Ack! said:

It's good to see Toyonoshima and Toyohibiki both 3-0 at Ms14 and Ms20, respectively.  Toyonoshima has shown, though, that he cannot compete in/near the promotion zone at this point in his long career.  Can more newly demoted Tokohibiki do any better?

Poor Masunoyama is 0-2 at Ms 38.  It's impossible not to root for his comeback, so I'm hoping for better results in his remaining bouts.  Ganbatte!  (Uwatenage...)

Chiyoarashi and Keitenkai also 3-0!

And what do you think about Yamaguchi? He was M16 quickly in 05/2013 but he was also quickly down to Sd 65.Then he goes up toJ5 but now he's going down again. What is his problem?

9 hours ago, Tikozan said:

And what do you think about Yamaguchi? He was M16 quickly in 05/2013 but he was also quickly down to Sd 65.Then he goes up toJ5 but now he's going down again. What is his problem?

Injuries mostly, leading to a patchy record. He also entered Ozumo when he was older, and is now 29, at which age it is much harder to come on top in the Makushita joi. He may not be able to do it a third time.