rhyen

Basho Talk Natsu 2018 (SPOILERS)

52 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Fair enough. We’ll see if there is a Mongolian conspiracy later today though. Haha.

(Laughing...) The number of tinfoil hats in here you all had better sit a safe distance from the microwave. 

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

The loose mawashi is a non-issue. Not a word about it anywhere except on fan forums. Tochinoshin lost. Big deal. Nobody is complaining except maybe his fans. And the injury is real- he hurt his hand, it was bandaged. Some of you are reading waaaay too much into this, calling this "gaming" or whatever. This is sumo. You wins some, you lose some, you carry on. But every time a foreign rikishi is involved and loses a key bout, either the Kyokai is biased or he was cheated. Come on..

There was so much rage on Twitch about the loose mawashi. My moderating words that this was a quite common tactic when an opponent is known to rely on lifting by the belt fell on deaf eyes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Did one of the commentator just call Chiyomaru "Big Sexy"?

• Haha 1

In the end Tochinoshin has only himself to blame for falling behind in the yusho race, losing the crucial bit against Shodai. After defeating Hakuho I'm sure Tochinoshin knew fully well that 1) he still has Kakuryuu coming up and 2) he needs to win every bout to stay in the lead. Yet he still lost to Shodai - maybe just a momentary lapse in concentration, but one that probably cost him the yusho. Kakuryuu is a yokozuna and a dangerous opponent. Shodai on the other hand he should've beaten easily. 

Tochinoshin's destiny is in the Hakuho's hands now...

Edited by Valdenor

2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

It's back to old times with the conditions: Shohozan gets the shukun-sho only if he wins AND Kakuryu gets the yusho (since otherwise he wouldn't have won against the yusho winner and be just as Abi). The condition for Tochinoshin is only that he wins his bout. https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20180527/k10011454911000.html

Ah, so they learned from Terunofuji failing to win the Yusho against Kisenosato that the leader going into the last day doesn't always win.  Well, Takayasu's 12-3 from Sekiwake should have gotten at least some sansho though, right?

Congratz for Henkaryuu winning the tournament. The last bout was a great one, but he still henka'd Giku so I will take this with a grain of salt.

A damn shame for Tochinoshin too. He was too hasty with the Shodai bout and it cost him. But well, Jun-Yusho and Ozeki promotion are still his so he cannot be too disappointed.

• Like 1

Great tournament. I didn’t see the result I wanted personally, but anytime you get to the final honwari torikumi and don’t know who is going to win the yusho, it’s been a good one. Sumo can be a cruel sport at times though. Six months ago Harumafuji took the yusho with 11-4. This time Tochinoshin gets 13-2 and not even a chance at a playoff. Funny old game.

Still, Ozeki promotion, a prize and equalling the record of 37/45 wins in an Ozeki run. Not bad at all. 

Great basho!

Tochi did it! We will have 3 ozeki. Congrats.

And the "weak" yokozuna now have 5y...Not so bad, hum?

Nagoya will be awesome with 3 ozeki and 3 zunas. 2 kadoban and Kise totaly against the wall. Cant wait.

Kakuryu banzaaaai!(Dohyo-iri...)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jabbamaru said:

Great basho!

Tochi did it! We will have 3 ozeki. Congrats.

And the "weak" yokozuna now have 5y...Not so bad, hum?

Nagoya will be awesome with 3 ozeki and 3 zunas. 2 kadoban and Kise totaly against the wall. Cant wait.

Kakuryu banzaaaai!(Dohyo-iri...)

If I had to place my bet today I'd wager that we only see two Yokozuna at Nagoya--the same two we saw this basho.

• Like 1

I can't say I begrudge Kakuryu's yusho. This time last year many of us were predicting intai by now, myself included.  Hakuhou was below par and Tochinoshin's losses were entirely his own.  Sure, the henka riled me, but equally Tochinoshin got a free pass with the fusen and with it an extra day of rest, so it all came out in the wash.  

I'm happy for Chiyonokuni and Kyokutaisei getting prizes.  Ryuuden seems to have had the basho from hell.  He really needs to sort his matta problem out - seems like a vicious circle of nerves.  Unfortunately, this basho it became someone else's problem, so he needs to shut that down fast.    

Mitakeumi's ankle looked horrible.  I was surprised he was able to take out Ichinojo so quickly, but I guess if he hadn't been quick off the blocks he wouldn't have been able to withstand an attack himself.  

Ikioi once again put in a fantastic effort.  It's easy to forget he's as tall as Hakuhou.  

Will be an interesting basho in July.  I agree we probably won't be seeing Kisenosato any time soon but with two kadoban ozeki, a new one wanting to prove himself and two hungry yokozuna, there should be some tasty sumo. 

2 hours ago, Kuroyama said:

There was so much rage on Twitch about the loose mawashi. My moderating words that this was a quite common tactic when an opponent is known to rely on lifting by the belt fell on deaf eyes.

Because a lot of the posters are new to sumo and arrived for patriotic reasons. I remember a surge of Estonian fans that came and went with Baruto. I have no problem with that, it's natural. but that's what it is.

• Thanks 1

People on Twitch were still on going on and on about it last night, even once the basho was over. Was getting a bit heated, and funnily enough mightve been most intense from some people on Kak's side who seemed to take the complaints personally.

Anyway, no playoff but I'm fairly happy still with how the basho went. Tochinoshin puts in an emphatic promotion performance and Kakuryu gets his first double. Regardless of some henkas I still like him for his calm, unaggressive demeanor and his smooth skills when he's on.

And I hope Hokutofuji can overcome whatever has been plaguing him. He's struggled the last 3 tournaments and hopefully he's not another who injury takes down prematurely. There was talk of him being sanyaku for Hatsu but now just a couple basho later he's in the danger zone for juryo demotion.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

maybe i am mixing russians, but still tochinoshin was known for a loose mawashi in my book.....

could have been roho or kokkai as well.....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gernobono said:

maybe i am mixing russians, but still tochinoshin was known for a loose mawashi in my book.....

could have been roho or kokkai as well.....

Tochinoshin is Georgian. It’s a good idea not to get those two mixed up!

• Like 6

So.... Endo and Terunofuji both came back during the basho and got a combined zero wins in their return. Was it worth it for Endo to potentially further injure himself? As for Terunofuji I just wish he would sit out several tournaments or retire. He seems to have a myriad of problems that need attention and entering tournaments right now should be the least of his concerns. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great final match for what has been a great basho. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Congrats to Kakuryu to his fifth yusho. Its nice to see him finally become a memorable yokozuna himself after being in the shadow of Hakuho and Harumafuji for so long. On the other hand that means Tochinoshin couldn't hold on to his lead but to be honest there isn't a whole lot to be sad about. His Ozeki run is the most impressive I know of at least, 37 wins with 1 yusho and 1 jun-yusho. Hakuho and Harumafuji both had 35 wins with 2 jun-yusho, Terunofuji had 33 wins with 1 yusho and 1 jun-yusho, Kakuryu and Kotoshougiki had 33 wins with 1 jun-yusho, Goeido 32 wins with 2 jun-yusho, Kisenosato 32 wins with 1 jun-yusho and Takayasu with the weakest promotion I know of with 32 wins without being a runner up in any of the 3 tournaments. I don't know if any sumo historian knows when the last time was when someone had a stronger Ozeki promotion than Tochinoshin?

Something else I noticed was that Abi's pretty decent 7-8 joi debut might not even drop him a single spot. Tamawashi and presumably Shohozan are making room by moving up to Komusubi. Endo and Kaisei will drop below Abi. The only ones who look like they'll pass Abi are Shoudai, Kotoshougiku and Ikioi. Maybe Kagayaki with his 9-6 from M8w but I doubt it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, YoungSumo said:

Congrats to Kakuryu to his fifth yusho. Its nice to see him finally become a memorable yokozuna himself after being in the shadow of Hakuho and Harumafuji for so long. On the other hand that means Tochinoshin couldn't hold on to his lead but to be honest there isn't a whole lot to be sad about. His Ozeki run is the most impressive I know of at least, 37 wins with 1 yusho and 1 jun-yusho. Hakuho and Harumafuji both had 35 wins with 2 jun-yusho, Terunofuji had 33 wins with 1 yusho and 1 jun-yusho, Kakuryu and Kotoshougiki had 33 wins with 1 jun-yusho, Goeido 32 wins with 2 jun-yusho, Kisenosato 32 wins with 1 jun-yusho and Takayasu with the weakest promotion I know of with 32 wins without being a runner up in any of the 3 tournaments. I don't know if any sumo historian knows when the last time was when someone had a stronger Ozeki promotion than Tochinoshin?

Something else I noticed was that Abi's pretty decent 7-8 joi debut might not even drop him a single spot. Tamawashi and presumably Shohozan are making room by moving up to Komusubi. Endo and Kaisei will drop below Abi. The only ones who look like they'll pass Abi are Shoudai, Kotoshougiku and Ikioi. Maybe Kagayaki with his 9-6 from M8w but I doubt it.

It’s certainly been one of the more impressive ones. For a while it looked as if he might become the first man to win two yusho on an Ozeki run – that’s never been done before, as hard as that may be to believe. In terms of others, records, Wakanohana has a claim to a very marginally better Ozeki run. His three-basho record was actually identical to Tochinoshin’s (14-1Y, 10-5, 13-2D), but note that the last one was a yusho-doten and a playoff, something Tochinoshin missed out on, albeit that was out of his hands.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kuroyama said:

Watching the chat on twitch is much like sitting in the cheap seats in the Kokugikan surrounded by first-timer tourists who know nothing about the sport but insist on blathering on about everything under the sun, asking inane questions, and generally putting their ignorance on display for all and sundry to endure. I have to maximize the screen to block out the twaddle that is chat if I’m to enjoy mbovo’s stream

• Like 2

I said a couple of hours ago Abi probably wouldn't be dropped from M2w but I forgot about Chiyonokuni's 12 wins from M11. Looks like Abi will have half a rank drop after all.

8 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

The winner was also a foreign rikishi. Perhaps you’re reading too much into why people are complaining? I think they’re just Tochinoshin fans and not people implying some anti-gaijin conspiracy.

A: “How do you expect to win against a mawashi-loosening, henka-cheating joke-azuna!”

B: “That’s typical coming from a bunch of half-Russian thugs who wouldn’t understand the meaning of a yokozuna’s hinkaku or understand the subtleties of this most Nihong of sports.”

C: “Er, Kakuryu’s Mongolian.”

A, B: (heads explode)

4 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

A: “How do you expect to win against a mawashi-loosening, henka-cheating joke-azuna!”

B: “That’s typical coming from a bunch of half-Russian thugs who wouldn’t understand the meaning of a yokozuna’s hinkaku or understand the subtleties of this most Nihong of sports.”

C: “Er, Kakuryu’s Mongolian.”

A, B: (heads explode)

You're missing my point..