rhyen

Basho Talk Natsu 2018 (SPOILERS)

Glad for Kakuryu after the risk of withdrawal. He has shown that he worths his rank.
Tochinoshin was at 1 cm. from the victory. The loss with Shodai was devastating for his tournament but, finally, I think he can be happy about his achievements in this 2018.
Hakuho didn't seem at 100%. Probably he hasn't recovered from injuries yet.

I enjoyed a lot this basho.
The only thing I didn't like at all was what happened to Hokutofuji. Very sad. Very bad to see... I hope the best for him.

Ciao!

• Like 1

Shodai gets to ride shotgun with Kakuryu in the parade car today.

Just a quick question: I'm just curious who gets to determine who gets to ride with the yusho winner in the parade car? Are there special rules to facilitate this or special connection that the two should have like being in the same heya, a certain rank, besties etc. or is it just who ever raises their hands first and yell "Me! Me! Me!" when asked who wants to ride with the yusho winner gets picked for the honor?

• Like 1

Starting to think Kakuryu's back has healed up more completely than I thought... 

Well, it's been a heck of a ride. Lots of guys who started off looking terrible ended up pulling it together and going KK, which I'm glad to see. Congratulations to the special prize winners. And of course, congratulations to Tochinoshin, whose performance was outstanding, yusho or no. I'm sure he'll make a fine ozeki. 

'til next time.

18 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

You're missing my point..

My response was to Eikokurai and his series of posts.

26 minutes ago, yutarotanaka said:

Shodai gets to ride shotgun with Kakuryu in the parade car today.

Just a quick question: I'm just curious who gets to determine who gets to ride with the yusho winner in the parade car? Are there special rules to facilitate this or special connection that the two should have like being in the same heya, a certain rank, besties etc. or is it just who ever raises their hands first and yell "Me! Me! Me!" when asked who wants to ride with the yusho winner gets picked for the honor?

I think it’s just a ride share. Shodai needed a drive home and Kakuryu happened to be going that way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Fede said:

The only thing I didn't like at all was what happened to Hokutofuji. Very sad. Very bad to see... I hope the best for him.

Absolutely. I really hope he doesn't turn out to be one of those rikishi who are promising but consistently have injury problems. He rose through the ranks very rapidly, he's clever, strong and has good ring sense, so if he can just stay healthy...

• Like 1

I got up just in time for the victory about 4:20 est ... Congrats to Kakayuu I knew he had the Hak when his head was in his chest... Great match though. Seems days are gone for now when Hakahou would wag off an outside grip, but Kakayuu had a solid front.  Wish the young pusher thrusters would learn the belt game. 

4 hours ago, since_94 said:

Watching the chat on twitch is much like sitting in the cheap seats in the Kokugikan surrounded by first-timer tourists who know nothing about the sport but insist on blathering on about everything under the sun, asking inane questions, and generally putting their ignorance on display for all and sundry to endure. I have to maximize the screen to block out the twaddle that is chat if I’m to enjoy mbovo’s stream

It's not a bad thing to have first-timers, isn't it? Some of them may never come again but I believe many of them will become real sumo fans.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Hakuhō that taped up before. Maybe it just never caught my attention, but I still remember how he was the rikishi that could never be injured and always had 0 taping… sad to see.

Too bad for Tochinoshin.

1 hour ago, Dapeng said:

It's not a bad thing to have first-timers, isn't it? Some of them may never come again but I believe many of them will become real sumo fans.

No, it's not a bad thing at all. But those that are sport-patriots will disappear when their compatriot will retire. How many Estonian sumo fans do we have at present? Probably three. I'd like people to join for the love of sumo, not for the love of flag, but that's me and quite naive..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, since_94 said:

Watching the chat on twitch is much like sitting in the cheap seats in the Kokugikan surrounded by first-timer tourists who know nothing about the sport but insist on blathering on about everything under the sun, asking inane questions, and generally putting their ignorance on display for all and sundry to endure. I have to maximize the screen to block out the twaddle that is chat if I’m to enjoy mbovo’s stream

I thought the chat was useful - learnt quite a lot. Of course some idiots, but that's the internet. Barely any spoilers - and if you scroll the chat screen up before a bout, you don't see the few that get through. Great job by the Mods of that stream. 

• Like 1

While senshuraku is fresh on everyone's minds, I'd like to point out Tochinoshin's good sportsmanship. He had the fire in him to fight till the very end, but once Kakuryu defeated Hakuho and he exited through the hanamichi, he was all smiles. I know he had the promise of promotion, but it would've been very, very easy to wallow in his losses and be sore about letting the championship slip from his grasp. Instead, he looks proud of his accomplishments in the photos following the final bout of the day. As he should be.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gurowake said:

As to the potential for "draws due to injury", the Kyokai website's tournament records (http://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/hoshitori/1/1/) match results legend indicates it as a possible result for a match.  Would they have coded it as a possibility on the website if it was not possible?

It's presumably still possible if both rikishi are too injured to continue, so...

Anyway, I think the framework for what's displayed on the torikumi pages is essentially unchanged from what it has been for the last two or three iterations of the Kyokai site, and one of those earlier versions had results available back to 1998. I don't think much can be read into the fact that the symbol key still lists itamiwake.

1 minute ago, Asashosakari said:

It's presumably still possible if both rikishi are too injured to continue, so...

Ah, yes.  I suppose that makes it reasonable to say that it's possible still today, just extremely (x4) unlikely.

8 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

If I had to place my bet today I'd wager that we only see two Yokozuna at Nagoya--the same two we saw this basho.

My guess is that Kisenosato will enter, after so many absences he needs to step in the dohyo at least a couple of days. But imho the intai is comming, probaly before the 3 week, and i am thinking since i google it to research his type of injury after the yusho against Teru that his rikishi days are over. Will be a emotional basho in july. Seems like many Kise's fans still believe in some kind of miracle.

1 hour ago, Taikoubana said:

While senshuraku is fresh on everyone's minds, I'd like to point out Tochinoshin's good sportsmanship. He had the fire in him to fight till the very end, but once Kakuryu defeated Hakuho and he exited through the hanamichi, he was all smiles. I know he had the promise of promotion, but it would've been very, very easy to wallow in his losses and be sore about letting the championship slip from his grasp. Instead, he looks proud of his accomplishments in the photos following the final bout of the day. As he should be.

Looks quite happy to me too..

201805270000743-w500_0.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Ryuuden seems to have had the basho from hell.  He really needs to sort his matta problem out - seems like a vicious circle of nerves.

Almost seems like a heya-wide issue. Takadagawa-beya's other (ex-)sekitori Kagayaki and Dairaido are also quite the matta machines, as is their makushita hopeful Shonannoumi. I realized during the basho that I haven't paid close enough attention to Hakuyozan to see if he's also in it, that's something I'll have to watch for in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A brilliant interview, mindset and a great role model - that is Kakuryu. After achieving his first goal to win a yusho as Y1E in Osaka, now he does it again combined with a second one in a row - another big achievement. A completely deserved yusho, one among the very few rikishi who have great skills in different style of sumo. I'll keep cheering for him and I hope he will receive more appreciation from sumo fans (not from "sumo patriots"). Stay healthy and do your best in Nagoya, Yokozuna!

At 30 years of age Tochinoshin had his first ever three double digit makunouchi tournaments, worked hard and achieved a big milestone. Sumo needed a new ozeki after we first lost a Yokozuna last year, one is fading and now we have 2 kadoban ozeki. It will be interesting to watch him from now on, who knows, maybe the sumo patriots will be right that he will be the next Yokozuna.

2 quality, dangerous and proven rikishi will be komusubi for Nagoya, Shodai is expected to occupy a M1 slot, so in terms of the banzuke, I expect a better basho in July as I had no doubts that Endo and Kaisei will crumble at the ranks they had now in Natsu.

7 hours ago, YoungSumo said:

His Ozeki run is the most impressive I know of at least, 37 wins with 1 yusho and 1 jun-yusho. Hakuho and Harumafuji both had 35 wins with 2 jun-yusho, Terunofuji had 33 wins with 1 yusho and 1 jun-yusho, Kakuryu and Kotoshougiki had 33 wins with 1 jun-yusho, Goeido 32 wins with 2 jun-yusho, Kisenosato 32 wins with 1 jun-yusho and Takayasu with the weakest promotion I know of with 32 wins without being a runner up in any of the 3 tournaments.

FWIW, Takayasu won 34.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

FWIW, Takayasu won 34.

Yeah my bad, it was 34. Still pretty rare for him not to be a runner up in any of the tournaments. Its not a really a knock on him though since he was only 1 win of the yusho in march of last year but had Kisenosato (RIP) and Terunofuji (also RIP) with 13 wins in front of him.

A bit late but, congrats to Tochinoshin for making it to Ozeki, especially after having to fight back from Makushita, and to Kakuryu for getting his 5th Yusho. Kyokutaisei was very impressive also in his Makuuchi debut.

Tochinoshin at the moment reminds me of Baruto back when he got his yusho, a huge amount of raw strength which opponents are struggling to handle.

Edited by mikawa

What an enjoyable basho!

Very pleased to see Kakuryu finally get back-to-back yusho - all the doubters can now STFU.

I'm giving up on trying to predict the next ozeki. None of us believed Takayasu could do it until he did, and I don't believe any of us had Tochinoshin on our radars either. I am very pleased for the big Georgian.

Glad to see Mitakeumi back where he belongs. He could well make ozeki one day - but that's as much as I'm now willing to predict!

I think Abi can be very satisfied with his 7-8 joi debut - no disgrace in that whatsoever.

I don't know if my past comments showed that very much, but I do rate Kakuryu. That being said, I perceived his basho performance a rather mixed affair. Sure he had some strong wins, but also a bit too much backpaddling sumo with the odd lucky escape. No problem there as such, as it's the Kakuryu way of old. Nevertheless, he needn't have complained if he would have ended it with 12 wins.

Oh, and the final bout: EPIC!!!! (TM)...

5 hours ago, Jabbamaru said:

My guess is that Kisenosato will enter, after so many absences he needs to step in the dohyo at least a couple of days. But imho the intai is comming, probaly before the 3 week, and i am thinking since i google it to research his type of injury after the yusho against Teru that his rikishi days are over. Will be a emotional basho in july. Seems like many Kise's fans still believe in some kind of miracle.

He said awhile back that he'd be putting his career on the line the next basho he entered. If he enters and withdraws again his intai will likely be imminent. With that in mind, I believe he'll sit out one more and then give it a go in September. Of course I'd love to be wrong and see him back healthy in Nagoya.