rhyen

Basho Talk Natsu 2018 (SPOILERS)

18 minutes ago, mbovo said:

A pretty weird thing happened on my channel today. Well over 450 viewers during Tochi vs Kak and ONLY around 400 for Hak vs Ichi. I mean sure, I understand Tochi's very popular and all but still. Who switches off a stream before the last - Yokozuna - bout of the day? I suspect a bunch of Georgians who know next to nothing and give zero f*ck about Sumo and are only interested in their national hero. Funny and sad at the same time.

May I suggest a different scenario? Due to the great popularity of sumo worldwide, your viewership has been steadily increasing. But that can overwhelm the servers you utilize, and frequently there is buffering and freezing. Fans will of course look for alternate sources when they are unable to view what you stream.

30 minutes ago, mbovo said:

A pretty weird thing happened on my channel today. Well over 450 viewers during Tochi vs Kak and ONLY around 400 for Hak vs Ichi. I mean sure, I understand Tochi's very popular and all but still. Who switches off a stream before the last - Yokozuna - bout of the day? I suspect a bunch of Georgians who know next to nothing and give zero f*ck about Sumo and are only interested in their national hero. Funny and sad at the same time.

It's their loss.

13 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

May I suggest a different scenario? Due to the great popularity of sumo worldwide, your viewership has been steadily increasing. But that can overwhelm the servers you utilize, and frequently there is buffering and freezing. Fans will of course look for alternate sources when they are unable to view what you stream.

Your suggestion is a possibility although I think twitch is pretty stable and it's not the first time it's happened with Tochinoshin's bouts. I've seen it a few times this Basho but this was just too big a difference in numbers...

It's not as stable as you think. It varies quite a bit day by day. I'm sure it varies by region as well. Perhaps you can solve whatever ails the network. For me Abema remains the far better choice.

Edited by Otokonoyama

Nothing wrong at my end to solve, each day my software stays "green", almost never drops a single frame and as I keep the site open to monitor things it doesn't freeze either. I guess I have a stable connection and obviously I am close to the server twitch is automatically using when I stream. I can imagine using any European VPN would solve the problem for overseas viewers assuming their ISP provides a decent and stable connection in the first place.

1 hour ago, mbovo said:

I don't see how rudely knocking Georgian fans has anything to do with your viewership.  If anything, your competition will stem from AbemaTV where during Makuuchi, the viewer count has exceeded well over 100K.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mbovo said:

I have to say, how is that a bad thing that a bunch of new viewers are tuning in, even for one match? Assuming you're right about the viewer spike, it means in this case sumo is making news abroad, even if it's just about a local hero, when the topic isn't some raging scandal. And sumo, like all activities, isn't for everyone. But if even one or two of those 50 think next time "Hey, that Tochinoshin match was actually pretty exciting, maybe I should watch a few more matches", we have one or two more fans abroad. That can only be a good thing in my books. 

Disparaging a bunch of people for checking out a passion of yours, but not being instantly as into it as you are, seems a pretty standard and sad way in most niche hobbies to feel like part of some elite cadre of "true" fans (see, for example, mocking "newbs" in video games). 

Edited by Tochinofuji
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mbovo said:

It reminds me, in the 90s, in Italy, with Alberto Tomba in Skiing or Valentino Rossi in MotoGP. The sport came out of the boundaries of fans and reached the general public. It brought with it good things and bad things ...

Anyway, even if the wind is for Kakuryu, I hope in a playoff. Perfect end of this basho in my opinion.
Can't wait for tomorrow :)

• Like 1

That was solid Yokozuna sumo from Kak today. Really good.

• Like 4

Tough loss for Tochinoshin.  Except for the loose mawashi he takes Kakuryu there I think. But you would think Tochinoshin would learn to deal with that as it seems many leave the mawashi loose against him. At least he got his promotion. Congrats to Kakuryu on the yusho.  Nice win by Ichinojo to get his KK but he should have had a much better record this basho. I don't expect Hakuho to put up much of a fight Day 15 but I would be more than happy to be wrong about that. 

1 hour ago, Morty said:

That was solid Yokozuna sumo from Kak today. Really good.

Kakuryu having a morozashi, I said to my wife, that he now HAS TO win the bout.....and he easily did..... Well done 

I think I enjoyed that close-up of Hakuho's angry and frustrated face a little too much this morning. 

29 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Tough loss for Tochinoshin.  Except for the loose mawashi he takes Kakuryu there I think. But you would think Tochinoshin would learn to deal with that as it seems many leave the mawashi loose against him. At least he got his promotion. Congrats to Kakuryu on the yusho.  Nice win by Ichinojo to get his KK but he should have had a much better record this basho. I don't expect Hakuho to put up much of a fight Day 15 but I would be more than happy to be wrong about that. 

A little premature on the congratulations, unless the Mongolians are conspiring behind the scenes to ensure it. ;)

5 hours ago, mbovo said:

This is exactly the most entertaining part about this basho. A bunch of one-day sumo "fans" hating every rikishi who can contend Tochinoshin's run. His two losses came at the perfect moment when those fans believed (or heared) that their godlike new (and only) favourite rikishi will end up with a zensho. And the moment Shodai and Kakuryu made him eat dirt they had a sudden "nature's call". It was extremely entertaining. 

3 hours ago, Rocks said:

Tough loss for Tochinoshin.  Except for the loose mawashi he takes Kakuryu there I think.

That is what happens when you only get one layer of the mawashi. You will see a rikishi digging with their hands trying to get a better grip. Kakuryu never gave Tochinoshin a chance to get a better grip. 

I accuse Abi of doing a hairpull.

Aminishiki doing belt sumo, Hakuho doing slappity sumo and getting thrown by Ichinojo when going for the belt. Is this the real life?

Kakuryu's yokozuna sumo today was being clever enough to wear a very loose mawashi. I hope Hakuho serves Kakuryu to Tochinoshin on a silver platter tomorrow.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

I don’t think you become the greatest of all time if you don’t have the desire to win every time you step on the dohyo. Hakuho will always want to win. He won’t risk anything to do so, but he’s not going to lie down and let Kakuryu tickle him.

If he still has some hope of yusho I believe he will go all out to win, just as you said. But now this basho's yusho is out of his reach, his motivation will definately not be as strong. If Kakuryu run off with yusho tonight, he should only blame himself for losing to Shodai and Kakuryu. 

Edited by Dapeng

What could be better than.a lil drama into the last day ? It's the Yokozuna's to lose...I'm routing for a great finish..happy either way. Tochinoshin is the new ozeki ! Other then my boy Diaimami, most all my guys did pretty well. Toyonoshima 5-2. Kagayaki going for 10wins, big Jo beat the Hak soundly and KK. Geek looked good this basho more kimboshi opportunities coming. Yoshikaze and Abi fighting for KK.... Lots of great matches on final day. Wachichiro 4-3 ehh,... But I like his leg development, getting heavier and was not standing straight up that I recall this time and moving well. Even oooooorahhhhh. Is KK.  Gagamaru to dip down deep into Juryo  and the once feared Terenofuji can't buy a win. 

6 hours ago, mbovo said:

Nothing wrong at my end to solve, each day my software stays "green", almost never drops a single frame and as I keep the site open to monitor things it doesn't freeze either. I guess I have a stable connection and obviously I am close to the server twitch is automatically using when I stream. I can imagine using any European VPN would solve the problem for overseas viewers assuming their ISP provides a decent and stable connection in the first place.

I have never dropped a frame watching your channel. And I watch it every day.  

• Like 1

Why did Hakuhō lose. :( That was bad. Makes me question whether he’ll actually beat Kakuryū tomorrow.

I’ll tentatively predict (and hope) that we get a playoff, but I think Kakuryū will win it then.

Edit: For whoever was saying Tochi injured his right hand… I don’t think you punch the ground with an injured hand. But who knows.

Edited by ALAKTORN
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mbovo said:

Your suggestion is a possibility although I think twitch is pretty stable and it's not the first time it's happened with Tochinoshin's bouts. I've seen it a few times this Basho but this was just too big a difference in numbers...

And twitch is used to much larger audiences. So a channel with 400-600 users is a piece of cake for their servers. Never had any problems with your channel using my PC or my android tablet. Great work!

• Like 1

There have been three incidents of mawashis coming undone this basho on account of strategically loose tying, yet the one person being dragged is Kakuryuu? His hasn’t even been the worst case of loose tying in Makuuchi this basho. It’s a legitimate strategy and one that yotsu-style rikishi should expect to be used against them. The top layer is always loose anyway. If you want to counter it you need to grip the whole thing. Tochinoshin knows full well how to grab all the layers, given he literally left bloody claw marks on Hakuhou’s hip the other day to achieve this. Today committed to the lift too soon without ensuring his grip and it was too late to adjust it and capture the whole mawashi. End of. 

I agree that Abi pulled hair. It was evident on the overhead replay. As to whether it made a difference...meh. But his whole performance today was disappointing to me. 

I hope Tochinoshin gets a talking to from his Stablemaster - hitting the dohyo in frustration after his loss to Kakuryu was bad form, and definitely not Ozeki-type behaviour. 

We’ve seen lots of evidence over the years that pointed to an Ozeki Back Scratchers Club (for KK purposes). Now Hakuho is in the rare position to help or deny his fellow Yokozuna and Mongolian to get the yusho. I expect Hak to fight strong and hard to prove there is no YBSC or MBSC. That said, Hak is not looking great, I predict Kak to get the win and yusho tomorrow by keeping Hak off his mawashi.

2 hours ago, ALAKTORN said:

Edit: For whoever was saying Tochi injured his right hand… I don’t think you punch the ground with an injured hand. But who knows.

Exactly. That was put out there to make Kakuryu think he wouldn't go hard at the tachiai and maybe not use belt sumo. I didn't believe it for a second. I don't know if Kakuryu did either but he wore his wawashi loose anyway if that tells you anything.