Sign in to follow this  
Yubiquitoyama

Why oh why?

Heh heh, when I saw "Why oh why?" I knew what it will be about. :-D

Then again, you did have an easy qualification round (Azerbaijan, Turkey, Macedonia, Moldova, Slovakia) so I guess this evens that out. :-D

Finland will qualify for 2006 tournament unless we get Germany & England again to the same group. Or... perhaps not.

Guest Kaikitsune

Isn`t it a great challenge though!?

Millions of Swedes thrilled to watch Sweden face Argentina, England and Nigeria; all quality opponents! If Finland would have qualified and been put to that prominent group I would have been pleased. But perhaps in Sweden the natural goal is to qualify to second round and even exciting and even matches against such formidable teams won`t be any consolation if it is not enough after all.

Brazil is in a piece of shit group.

[<!--emo&:-D--><!--endemo-->'><!--endemo-->

Isn`t it a great challenge though!?

Oh, definitely.

Millions of Swedes thrilled to watch Sweden face Argentina, England and Nigeria; all quality opponents! If Finland would have qualified and been put to that prominent group I would have been pleased. But perhaps in Sweden the natural goal is to qualify to second round and even exciting and even matches against such formidable teams won`t be any consolation if it is not enough after all.

Well, the first reaction when seeing the group is pretty much: "Ah, we're dead. Let's start concentrate on the next European Championship instead..."

The second reaction is: "Hm, should be some interesting matches though."

To answer your question, the first goal, at least nowadays, is probably to actually qualify to the next round. Good matches is all well and good, but I (and many others) would probably prefer to go to the 2nd round after relatively easy matches, than lose out in good ones. Most remember with fondness the bronze in 1994, and would really like to experience it again. But of course, good matches against great teams would be SOME consilation.

The third reaction is this:

"Maybe Sweden can actually go through anyway..."

*After a few bad years following the 1994 World Championships, Sweden has been bouncing back. Although the Qualifiers saw Sweden against relatively easy opposition, it's not to forget that Turkey, the 2nd team in the group, also managed to get through, via an extra qualifying match. Sweden also showed good defense, only letting 3 goals in the net for the whole of the qualifying competition (or so), 1 or 2 of them being penalty kicks. And for the first time in years, it seems we have a few reasonably good scorers who could give the edge in offense too.

*In general it seems Swedish teams (as well as individuals in sport) has a tendency to choke when under pressure to win, but can surprise everyone when the pressure is off and the odds are against them.

*Nigeria is a good team, but has lost some of their edge, and Sweden should have a good chance against them.

*Sweden-England always means good games, and the fact is that Sweden hasn't lost against England since the 60s.

*Everyone says how Argentine should win the whole competition. It's not that far-fetched that they go into it with too much confidence, and quickly gets a loss and a tie before knowing what hit them. Spain has done it for years, and I doubt it couldn't happen to Argentine.

In conclusion, I think it will be very fun to watch the matches, but I really hope Sweden can not only get through them with style, but actually qualify for the next round. I'm not enough of a football fan to be happy just seeing a great game, if it means my team lost...

I think it's interesting to note that not only Sweden, but Argentine, England and Nigeria as well, must see that the opposition is about as tough as it gets, and none of teams will get anything for free. Looking at the other groups, it seems most of them are pretty clear-cut in advance, although I suspect Italy might have to be careful not to be too over-confident.

Spain has done it for years, and I doubt it couldn't happen to Argentine.

Spain is the chronical underachiever. It's a mystery considering the quality of their top clubs.

I've been an Argentina supporter since the final of 1978. It was a surreal sight. Field covered with paper and the magic of Kempes. :-9

Watching African teams reminds me from my childhood when a team ran to the field in order to win the match instead of just trying to avoid a loss. :-D Few years ago when the African Championships were played in Burkina Faso, the home team had a 3-0 lead over Congo (the earlier Za

Heh, Croatian team got a relatively easy group... knowing our amazing psychology, that means they will take things easy and have to fight for dear life at the end. I doubt they can repeat the miracle and get the bronze again...

Guest Kaikitsune
Heh, Croatian team got a relatively easy group... knowing our amazing psychology, that means they will take things easy and have to fight for dear life at the end. I doubt they can repeat the miracle and get the bronze again.

Croatian players were very interesting. Real personalities and especially that Jay Leno of Croatian soccer possessed pure magic with his first touch inside the penalty box and 55m distance millimetrically accurate long shot against Schmeichel etc. How is Suker nowadays? Has he succumbed to decadence due to too much money, too big ego and too much model-girlfriends? I`d like to see his one on one dribbles and perfect technique.

And please let Romario be in Brasilian team......he is simply phenomenal still.

How is Suker nowadays? Has he succumbed to decadence due to too much money, too big ego and too much model-girlfriends? I`d like to see his one on one dribbles and perfect technique.

Lookie, football discussion on Sumo Forum. Kintaro, where are you? :-D

Suker had huge ego even before the last WC... and it has only grown since. And he's getting old... but he just might give his all during the Championships. We'll see. I don't realy follow football much, so  can't tell you any juicy details...

Finland will qualify for 2006 tournament unless we get Germany & England again to the same group. Or... perhaps not.

Hello Yuichi,

nice forum you are running so far. Only one comment for now: You won't have to worry about having Germany in the qualification group for 2006. I'm positively sure about that  ;-)

Only one comment for now: You won't have to worry about having Germany in the qualification group for 2006. I'm positively sure about that

Hmm, I'm not sure you got the point of my remark. I didn't mean that Germany is no team to worry about (it may be true though), but that Germany doesn't have to qualify as host country for 2006... So there won't be any qualification group with Germany.

Hmm, I'm not sure you got the point of my remark. I didn't mean that Germany is no team to worry about (it may be true though), but that Germany doesn't have to qualify as host country for 2006... So there won't be any qualification group with Germany.

I had a mental short circuit. Having read the news about next year's World Cup winner not qualifying automatically to the 2006 tournament, I connected it in my mind automatically to Germany which, of course, is the hosting nation in 2006 instead of the defending champion.

Well, who knows. You guys might be both... ;-)

I'm not sure but it seems Croatian Ace Suker plays now for Atletico Madrid, strong spanish second division leader at the moment. Well, about next World Cup, I don't think I ever watched a so tight group as Argentina, England, Sweden, Nigeria. When you think Brazil will face : China, Turkey, Costa-Rica ... It's a bit of injustice ! Personally, I'm a great supporter of France's Rugby Team but I don't like our Soccer Team. I find them very boring and I was a fan during the 80's when we had Platini, Tigana, Giresse. These men deserved to be World Champions and not our current boring "stars" ... I prefer watching physical teams as Norway or Austria and it's a great pity they aren't qualified. For Finland too. Did you remind of clashes between Norway and Finland for World Cup 98 qualifying plays ? It was great entertainment. In a certain way, a team as Norway tries to reproduce sometimes the original "english" style : the famous "kick and rush" with long balls forward ! Now England play a European boring style with short passings but they remain very committed : their famous "fighting spirit" remains the same. English teams play as European teams too and they've got a lot of foreign players, this is the end of one style. It's a tragedy ! Everybody play the same game, too boring ! Therefore, for the lucky owners of a satellite dish and you can catch freely Swedish TV4 (on Thor2 0.8

I find them very boring and I was a fan during the 80's when we had Platini, Tigana, Giresse.

(Snip)

For Finland too.

(Snip)

English teams play as European teams too and they've got a lot of foreign players,

Among the five most memorable football matches I've ever seen are the two consecutive World Cup semifinals between France & West Germany in 1982 & 1986. As a long-time fan of the French (and Argentinians & Africans) I was naturally disappointed at the final results (and the actions of one Schumacher) but the matches were magic. I especially liked the French midfield and the men you mention. (Thumbs up!)

Finland just isn't ready for a big tournament right now. We did have our junior team in the FIFA World Youth Championship 2001 with passable results but I really can't foresee much success for the men's team should they one day qualify to either World Cup or European Championships. While our team isn't any more a one-trick pony (that being Litmanen) what it used to be, there's still long way to go but we're progressing. ;-)

Speaking about the foreign players in English teams... Wasn't there a match few years ago where every single player in Chelsea's team was a foreigner. Only the first substitute to come to the field in the second half-time was an Englishman. :-0