Sign in to follow this  
Hakuyobaku

Fascist Takamisakari?

I just noticed that Takamisakari's 'dress' (I don't konw how it's called in japanese since in sumo you got all japenese terms) well anyway the one that's on the Kyokai Page on his description, so on his "dress" you can see the fascist insignia (swastika). is it meant to mean anything in Japanese culture since i've heard that in indian it meant "sun" or something.

And also, another thing - does anyone know webpage where I can see the English translation for all the names of the Rikishi - like for Kokkai i know it means Black Sea. for Hakurozan i think it's white russian mountain (correct me if i am wrong) is there a full list for these with english translations anyplace?

thanks beforehand

(Eating...) :-D

You have to understand that the mon you see has been around in Japan for hundreds of years before the nazis gave it the meaning many have for it today.

And also, another thing - does anyone know webpage where I can see the English translation for all the names of the Rikishi - like for Kokkai i know it means Black Sea. for Hakurozan i think it's white russian mountain (correct me if i am wrong) is there a full list for these with english translations anyplace?

thanks beforehand

(Eating...) :-D

You don't need no stinkin' webpage!! You have it right here on our forum!!

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?...hikona+meanings

I just noticed that Takamisakari's 'dress'  (I don't konw how it's called in japanese since in sumo you got all japenese terms)  well anyway the one that's on the Kyokai Page on his description, so on his "dress" you can see the fascist insignia (swastika). is it meant to mean anything in Japanese culture since i've heard that in indian it meant "sun" or something.

(The "dress" would be kesho-mawashi.)

This was discussed sometime in the past. It isn't "fascist" per se. The swastika is a lucky symbol in many Eastern cultures, and has been for thousands of years, I believe. The inverted Nazi version belongs in a newer tradition.

A rather complete list can be found in this thread. I don't know how well it is up to date with the new guys, though.

Edit: Damn, got beaten by the master himself. Well, such is life. (Eating...)

Edited by Exil

Hm thanks . . .

Still in those threads there is not real reference to Kokkai.

can anyone confirm that it means Black Sea, as far as that is what they said on eurosport. :) :-P

can anyone confirm that it means Black Sea, as far as that is what they said on eurosport. :) :-P

I confirm it.

the two kanjis are

KOKU which means black ("kuro(i)" and "kuro" are right, too)

KAI which means sea ("umi" is another pronunciation)

nice shikona if we remember that he's Georgian :-P

(off-topic : mine is Sakana (fish) because my real name in French is Poisson (fish in english ;p))

Edited by Sakana

The thread you are referring to is this.

As for Takamisakari's kesho-mawashi, the swastika-like symbol is the same one used to indicate a temple (buddhist) on a Japanese map.

Takami-zeki is from Aomori-ken and probably the Hirosaki area (since the bottom of his kesho reads Hirosaki something or other) and Hirosaki has a large number of temples for such a small city. It is a castle town and was a bit of a refuge for many samurai families from Kyoto during one of the many battles that were fought centuries ago for control of the old capital.

Takamisakari's design seems to be very fitting for a rikishi from that area. The kanji imposed over top of the swastika are the Hiro from Hirosaki and it looks like ..mi for beautiful. I may not have all the details correct but that is the jist of it anyway. He's showing pride in his hometown.

I just noticed that Takamisakari's 'dress' .... the one that's on the Kyokai Page on his description, so on his "dress" you can see the fascist insignia (swastika). is it meant to mean anything in Japanese culture ...

As pointed out that symbol is meant for buddhist temple as you still can see them on some maps in Japan (obviously the angle is different).

Regarding the kesho mawshi on the Kyokai page, it's from his alma mater, Hirosaki Vocational High School, Aomori Prefecture run high school specialized in agriculture, commerce, sports science and domestic studies (like home helper and designing). It's one of the mawashis Takamisakari got when he became a sekitori. By the way the logo you see on the front is the school logo as the school likely used to follow some buddist teaching a long ago. BTW He has another from Nihon University where he graduated in economics.

Kesho mawashis are donated to a rikishi when they become a sekitori (it's pretty expensive for a Makushita rikishi to make one for himself) so they are donated to rikishi by their supporters, friends, schools, home town civic and merchants, and coporate sponsors. Normally the rikishis don't get to choose the design though Kokkai apparently did for his 15 star mawashi he just got from United World Securities.

Personally I like the dragon one Tochiazuma got from a baseball manager Hoshino when he was managing the Chunichi Dragons. Hoshino has been a long friend of the family, especially with his father.

Normally the rikishis don't get to choose the design though Kokkai apparently did for his 15 star mawashi he just got from United World Securities.

Rohou, of course..

Yes, i guess he/she Meant Roho.

As to Kokkai's kesho mawashi, I am not positive about the details but the insignia on it looks drastically like the newly adopted Georgian National Herb ( or i'm not sure if this is the roght word for it). If so, IMO it's kind of distasteful. But what can you do, most Georgians are overly patriotic and Kokkai is one of those.

I love him > :)

As to Kokkai's kesho mawashi, I am not positive about the details but the insignia on it looks drastically like the newly adopted Georgian National Herb ( or i'm not sure if this is the roght word for it). If so, IMO it's kind of distasteful. But what can you do, most Georgians are overly patriotic and Kokkai is one of those.

I think the right term is "coat-of-arms". Here's Croatian coat-of-arms, a kitchy thing as well.

Croatia_coat_small.png

[Regarding the kesho mawshi on the Kyokai page, it's from his alma mater, Hirosaki Vocational High School, Aomori Prefecture run high school specialized in agriculture, commerce, sports science and domestic studies (like home helper and designing).  It's one of the mawashis Takamisakari got when he became a sekitori.  By the way the logo you see on the front is the school logo as the school likely used to follow some buddist teaching a long ago.

This is not really about Buddhist teaching, according to the book I have ( ALmanac of Aomori High School )... Manji ( swastika ) is the emblem of the city where his high school is.

Here's my post from the past ( thanks Exil-zeki ) :

卍( Buddhist cross. or swastika ) is used to indidate Buddhist temples

in maps. Hirosaki has over 80 temples despite of relatively

less-populousness, and bears this 卍 for the City Emblem ( Btw, Japan's

every local government has its own emblem - is this common in many

nations? )

http://www.city.hirosaki.aomori.jp/gaiyou/shishou/

But originally 卍 used to be a family emblem of Tsugaru Family that reigned

Tsugaru Clan ( whose central town was Hirosaki ) in Edo period. Of course each

and every family also has its own family emblem up to this present day, l

ike ones you see in http://www8.plala.or.jp/biree11/tokusen.htm

Like Itachi-zeki mentioned, this is a swastika, which represents one of

Buddha's 32 sacred signs. This is supposed to be a whirled hair on Buddha's

chest. Japanese Buddhism has prefered 卍 to other counter-type one,

and this manji stands for fortune/bliss/good dhama/virture. The homepage of

Hirosaki City explains this emblem as a symbol of being altruistic and devoted

to society.

And of course, schools have emblems too. Takamisakari is from Hirosaki

Jitsugyo Koukou ( Hirosaki Commercial High ), its school emblem right

on his new kesho mawashi. ( for a side note, Iwakiyama is from the same

school and one year older than Sakari, so he should have one with the

same school emblem I guess... ). Again, as Itachi-zeki spotted, these two

kanji on the swastika reads, Hiro-Jitsu, abbreviation for Hirosaki Jitsugyo

Koukou. http://www.h2.dion.ne.jp/~seimon/hirojitsu.htm

the "swwatika" name is from the Sanskrit "svastika" which means "welfare".

As a symbol of prosperity and good fortune it was used throughout the ancient world (Mesopotamian coinage,Buddhism symbol in Japan,South and North America)

The Japanese buddhists used the "sauvastika" which moved in a counterclockwise direction and was called the manji.

the arms of the swastika that point clockwise are generally considered a solar symbol .This was the one that the Nazis used and perverted its meaning.The swastika stands for mystical and magical practices and this was the main reason the Nazis used it cause it was well known that Hitler was into these stuff (Hollow Earth and all ....)