Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O- May 2018

Asashosakari    10,578
35 minutes ago, Asojima said:

I suspect that he has healed physically as much as he would have with surgery.

It was a major muscle tear. As far as I understand it it's pretty much impossible for that to "heal" to any degree close to what's possible through surgery. That doesn't mean surgery was the only sensible option, but I really don't think the alternative was "you can let your body fix it on its own" - it was "you're almost 31, is a year+ away for surgery and rehab really worth it?".

Dapeng    123
8 hours ago, Asojima said:

I suspect that he has healed physically as much as he would have with surgery.  He has had plenty of solid advice on the pros and cons of the surgery.  I find it hard to believe that sekitori struggle through injuries in the vacuum postulated by many of our "informed" members. He has always been essentially a one-horse rikishi.  To continue, he will have to change horses to compensate for his lost power.  I don't think he has the mental attitude needed to grow out of this.

Rupture of the pectoral major muscle belly is rare. In most cases it's the tendon or muscle-tendon junction got ruptured. If not repaired surgically, the muscle contraction can no longer move the upper arm effectively because the muscle is no longer effectively connected to the upper arm bone. According to a report (http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/35/3/202) around 46% of the muscle strength was lost if no surgery repair. For ordinary people it's no big deal, but for a professional athlete, it's the end of his career. 

On the other hand, successful surgery can rescue 97% of strength.

Edited by Dapeng
  • Like 1