Torideyama

Doreen Simmons' Passing

Torideyama    1

Mark Buckton is reporting on the Sumo Mailing List that the venerable Doreen Simmons has passed away.  If anyone can confirm this, and post any arrangement information, it would be appreciated.

Emmett

• Sad 16

Kintamayama    21,506

Wow. I am speechless. The nicest woman in the universe. I am shocked.

John Gunning    2,381

Doreen was 85 but her passing came as more of a shock than hearing she was hang gliding over active volcanoes would. She was active in many endeavors right up to the end. Doreen was involved in sumo before I was born and yet always had time for me which I appreciated no end. A couple of years ago she gave me her entire collection of Sumo World magazines and some other stuff for free. I’m glad I got to see and congratulate her after she was awarded the Order of the Rising Sun. A true original she will be missed.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

Otokonoyama    699

Such sad news. A true pioneer in her calling to represent sumo to the world. She will be missed.

Akinomaki    17,139

That is very sad. Last time I met her was 2 years ago at the kokugikan - it was always a pleasure.

• Sad 1

Asojima    1,865

The sadness at her passing is tempered by the joy that she was here.  The forum has lost one of its anchors.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Washuyama    421

Her along with Andy Adams and all the others that had a part in Sumo World 40+ years ago helped introduce and educate me on the world of sumo when I was that little boy pictured to the left.  I remember in 2007 when I saw her in the kokugikan being too star-struck to say hi to her.  She will truly be missed.

• Like 1

ryafuji    266

Very sad news. I always appreciated her many insightful posts as Orion here. Just curious as to whether this has been reported anywhere outside of the mailing list and the forum yet?

Tochinofuji    42

Very sad news indeed.  While I never had the pleasure of meeting her, her contributions here were always insightful and greatly appreciated.  She will be missed.

sekitori    235
Posted (edited)

What I remember most about her was that on the English language broadcasts of bashos, she would explain things of interest that normally would never be discussed by other broadcasters--subjects such as the gyoji's costumes and the akeni, the box which carries the equipment used by sekitoris. I doubt very much if anyone else could have made the construction and use of an equipment box sound so absolutely fascinating. I looked forward to her descriptions of such offbeat yet extremely interesting sumo related topics. She added greatly to my enjoyment of sumo and I too will miss her very much.

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

kawika    76

one of my first basho, she sat next to me and a friend and explain everything, it was like a she was sumo google in the flesh.  later, i ran into at the Warrior Celt, she played the bodhran, when they had Wednesday night Celtic music jams.  she was closely associated with Dewanoumi beya, i think she even lived close by to the stable.  she will be sorely missed.

• Thanks 1

Kishinoyama    282

What terribly sad news. I never had the pleasure of meeting her but I always enjoyed reading her comments. I will miss seeing new comments from Doreen. Bye sweet lady. (Sadgoodbyes...)

CT3*    275

Sad news.

Jejima    286

This is really sad news.

I first came into contact with Doreen about twenty years ago when I was living in Hiroshima Prefecture.  I used to write a Sumo Column (called the Teppo) for a monthly 'magazine' for the 100 or so JET teachers in the area.  I wrote her an email with ten sumo questions, asking her to choose five to answer, to be printed in my column.  She kindly answered all ten.  It was my great pleasure to meet with her later in person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Announcement regarding funeral for Doreen Simmons

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

It is with regret that we share the news that our beloved sister, Doreen Simmons, passed away on Monday, April 23rd, at 85 years of age.  There will be a full Anglican funeral service at St. Alban's on Saturday, April 28th, at 1.30 PM.  A memorial service is also planned for a date yet to be decided.  

This was posted by the church. All reports are that it is a private service with the memorial to be a public event.
  • Thanks 1

kashiwara    1

Haven't posted on the Forum before but needed to acknowledge Doreen's widespread contribution to sumo.   For me, she was a pioneer in making it ok for women...........let alonge 'senior' women, to be serious fans of sumo.  What a role model she was!

Secondly, I'm grateful for the context she provided on NHK broadcasts about the meaning of a myriad of aspects of the physical environment of sumo, its history and her personal memories of a life lived in connection to sumo.   The NHK broadcasts are my learning tool and she was the 'icing on the cake' whenever she provided color commentary.

I'm sad that there doesn't seem to be recognition of her life and contribution to sumo in the media.  Hopefully, it's soon to come.  She deserves it.

RIP Doreen.........and thanks.

• Like 1

RabidJohn    313

I never met her, but I listened to her often enough, and I was thrilled to discover that forum member Orion was Doreen Simmons. Sad to hear she's gone.

Kuroyama    557

I've been offline for a few days, and came back to this. What a shock.

Irakusamaru    77

When my wife and I went to the Hatsu basho in 2015, there was an old lady sitting in front of us who explained some of the things going on and told us to ask if there was anything we wanted to know. She was mildly annoyed that the beer girls weren't out because the emperor was due to make an appearance and she had to go fetch her own. 

Months later, I happened upon a photo of the same lady online with a bunch of rikishi and realised that it had been Doreen. 

RIP.

Fukurou    422
Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2018 at 07:17, John Gunning said:

Doreen was 85 but her passing came as more of a shock than hearing she was hang gliding over active volcanoes would.

I'm not sure that such news would be a shock for a force like Doreen.

On 4/24/2018 at 12:36, Tochinofuji said:

Very sad news indeed.  While I never had the pleasure of meeting her, her contributions here were always insightful and greatly appreciated.  She will be missed.

I never met her personally, but we chatted from time to time online. I know she was just being polite, but I felt honored when she offered, out of the blue, to take me visiting some of the heya the "next time" I was in Tokyo.

A person on the ML reports:

We here at the Asiatic Society of Japan in Tokyo are also in mourning at
the loss of a dear colleague and sharp wit on the former ASJ Council.
 ... Sumo banners are at half staff here in sumo
center Ryogoku.

Here's a link to her church's announcements page

RIP Doreen

Edited by Fukurou
  • Like 1