rhyen

Hakuho’s father just passed away.

Just saw some post on FB, can anyone verify it in the Mongolian media?

PS: can the moderators move this to an appropriate sub-forum?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

RIP. It also means that Hakuho is free to seek the Japanese citizenship.

• Like 1

I do hope he is granted an emergency leave. This is a very significant turning point for Hakuho now. 

My concern is whether Hakuho will withdraw from the upcoming Summer basho.  I realize that protracted mourning is not an excuse, but he may find a medical excuse...

18 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

My concern is whether Hakuho will withdraw from the upcoming Summer basho.  I realize that protracted mourning is not an excuse, but he may find a medical excuse...

Wasn't it fairly iffy even before this happened? I mean his toes are probably still recovering and watching his Dohyo-ri during the Jungyo makes me think that he's still a little sore or afraid to put weight on it.

Still, the man deserves the time so I'm sure he'll be given the emergency leave.

• Like 1

The death is not unexpected.  Hakuho's father had been terminally ill for several years.  His father was an Olympian, and Hakuho was hoping that he would survive long enough to see Hakuho perform a dohyo-iri in the 2020 games. This is the reason that Hakuho has repeatedly said that he would not retire before 2020.  It has also been reported that Hakuho was deferring his acquisition of Japanese citizenship as an honor to his father.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Stelios said:

It seems unfitting for this to be one's first thought about the situation, but it was my first thought as well.

25 minutes ago, Gurowake said:
10 hours ago, Stelios said:

It seems unfitting for this to be one's first thought about the situation, but it was my first thought as well.

And mine, I'm embarrassed to admit.

5 hours ago, Asojima said:

The death is not unexpected.  Hakuho's father had been terminally ill for several years.  His father was an Olympian, and Hakuho was hoping that he would survive long enough to see Hakuho perform a dohyo-iri in the 2020 games. This is the reason that Hakuho has repeatedly said that he would not retire before 2020.  It has also been reported that Hakuho was deferring his acquisition of Japanese citizenship as an honor to his father.

Does this also mean that Hakuho might retire before the 2020 Summer Olympics?

2 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

Does this also mean that Hakuho might retire before the 2020 Summer Olympics?

The only thing of importance is that the feelings of those directly affected  during times of grief are very personal. It's impossible for others to conjecture how they may or may not act in the future. 

A guess might be that if he remains healthy and can perform up to the standards he sets for himself, Hakuho  may want to continue up to the 2020 Olympics as a tribute to his father. On the other hand, he may decide that without his father's presence, he no longer is interested in competing and may retire well before then. There has never been anyone like him before and it's very doubtful if there will ever be someone like him again. Whatever he decides to do, I'm sure everyone interested in sumo will respect that decision and wish him the very best.

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 1

Jigjidiin Mönkhbat with Hakuho - overview from the papers these days. They cite an illness of the liver as the cause of death - last October he was diagnosed with liver cancer and was treated in Japan. o

March 2006 - Hakuho turns 21 and after the basho gets promoted to ozeki

201804100000467-w200_0.jpgo spo1804100015-n1.jpgo

first yusho the next basho

20180409-OHT1I50172-N.jpgo 201804110000207-w200_0.jpgo 20180410s00005000325000p_thum.jpgo

the yusho for yokozuna promotion, Natsu 2007

AS20180409004865_commL.jpgo

8th yusho Aki 2008

spo1804110002-s1.jpgo

20th yusho Aki 2011

201804100000221-w200_0.jpgo

extra: with Asashoryu, as Hakuho got an award from Mongolia, after he surpassed Taiho's yusho record

2015-02-21_192814.png

He was the last time at a yusho pic for that record breaking 33rd yusho Hatsu 2015, Hakuho's mother last in Natsu 2016

201804110000206-w200_2.jpgo

maybe the most recent

20180410-OYT1I50031-N.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

@Rhyen, your videos are not visible to me -- showng "Unavailabe" message. If they can only be watched on FB, just put the link in the post rather than a big black box.

Apparently Hakuho was the principal mourner and not one of his brothers, though he's not the eldest. Kyokushuzan was there, but I didn't spot Asashoryu.

Edited by Akinomaki

5 hours ago, orandashoho said:

@Rhyen, your videos are not visible to me -- showng "Unavailabe" message. If they can only be watched on FB, just put the link in the post rather than a big black box.

Viewable here on Firefox.

Very sad to see such a diminutive little coffin compared to him in his younger days.  I raise a glass - seems like he was quite the legend.  

DaVTzCjU0AAvJ-2.jpg:large

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Apparently Hakuho was the principal mourner and not one of his brothers, though he's not the eldest. Kyokushuzan was there, but I didn't spot Asashoryu.

Asashoryu was attending a bokh tournament somewhere else.

Rip Mr. Mönkhbat. Six nadaam. And the gyoat (greatest yokozuna of all times) came from his balls. Well done sir, well done. (Iamnotworthy...)

• Haha 1