Eikokurai

Sumo-themed restaurants not in Japan

There’s a restaurant in Shanghai where I live owned by (disgraced) moto-Sekiwake Takatoriki callee 力士相扑烤肉. It has a full-size dohyo in the middle, sumo on TV, his mawashi and his trophy and from when he won the yusho at Haru 2000. I’m yet to eat there but since I chanced across it it’s been on my to-do list.

Does anyone know of any other sumo-themed places to eat outside of Japan?

I haven't seen much yet about Hakuho's restaurants, but I guess this qualifies

On 2/8/2017 at 16:05, Akinomaki said:

A renewed Hakuho restarted training on the 2nd - but what is new?

now he's in Hong-Kong from the 6th to the 8th for the opening of the 2nd chanko restaurant that he produces

http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20170203-OHT1T50043.html

Edited by Akinomaki

Here in Manila, I've heard of several restaurants that have the word 'sumo' in their names. Sumo Sam, Hungry Sumo, etc. But I don't think they are sumo-themed in any way, shape or form though. Some are just you typical fast-food or restaurants that serve your garden variety Japanese-cuisine like sushi, sashimi, tempura, donburi, tonkatsu, yakitori, karaage, ramen, etc.

I do hope that someone will create an authentic sumo-themed restaurant here. I would buy stock in that establishment and practically live there if I can. Hehe.

Googling for the U.S. shows a few Izikaya-style restaurants selling chanko (in Southern California) and a planned sumo-themed restaurant in N.Y. in 2015 (vaporware, apparently).  So, the ground floor is wide open!

Edited by Yamanashi
specified: U.S.

There is a chain of all-you-can-eat sushi restaurants in The Netherlands called "Sumo" -- nothing to do with sumo, the staff isn't even Japanese, and I doubt they'd know the meaning of the word "Yokozuna" or ever heard of Hakuho.

Edited by orandashoho
embarrassing typo

8 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

There’s a restaurant in Shanghai where I live owned by (disgraced) moto-Sekiwake Takatoriki callee 力士相扑烤肉. It has a full-size dohyo in the middle, sumo on TV, his mawashi and his trophy and from when he won the yusho at Haru 2000.

he may own more now, but the last thing I read (from about 2 years ago) was that he has 2 overseas - I don't know where the other is though

On 15.10.2017 at 16:59, Akinomaki said:

The (Italian) name "Drago" is said to have been proposed by Takanohana. The main Drago is in Koto ward, Ogibashi, there is one in Sumida ward, Oshiage, one in Koto ward, Kiyosumi: the Yokozuna avenue shop in Monzen-nakacho. In Monzen-nakacho he also has the kuimonoya Sushiriki and an izakaya Takatoriki. Also one in Saitama - apparently he now owns at least 10 in Japan (the new one maybe wasn't counted yet) and 2 overseas https://yulilog.com/552.html

I think Hakuho or some of the Mongolian ex-rikishi own restaurants in Mongolia

Edited by Akinomaki

There's a place I drive by every day on the way to work called "Sumo Sushi".  I've never bothered stopping in, mainly because I have no interest in sushi.  I assume it's just a name that invokes Japan.

19 hours ago, yutarotanaka said:

Here in Manila, I've heard of several restaurants that have the word 'sumo' in their names. Sumo Sam, Hungry Sumo, etc. But I don't think they are sumo-themed in any way, shape or form though. Some are just you typical fast-food or restaurants that serve your garden variety Japanese-cuisine like sushi, sashimi, tempura, donburi, tonkatsu, yakitori, karaage, ramen, etc.

I do hope that someone will create an authentic sumo-themed restaurant here. I would buy stock in that establishment and practically live there if I can. Hehe.

There is one chain, I will track it down on FB

On 3/30/2018 at 06:42, Gurowake said:

There's a place I drive by every day on the way to work called "Sumo Sushi".  I've never bothered stopping in, mainly because I have no interest in sushi.  I assume it's just a name that invokes Japan.

Is it this one?

• Like 1

Wow. Not just a theme, but live action. Is that a regular treat, or just a one-time thing when they opened?
Perhaps they serve sashimi as well.

13 hours ago, orandashoho said:

Wow. Not just a theme, but live action. Is that a regular treat, or just a one-time thing when they opened?
Perhaps they serve sashimi as well.

They serve the sushi on top of these guys after all the bouts that they have. It adds to the flavor apparently. Yummy! (Laughing...)

Or, if the people want their sushi fat free... They'd serve it on this man https://photos.app.goo.gl/U40qDyCHmIUPaWgy2

Haado Gei sushi hoooo~~~

Edited by yutarotanaka
  • Haha 1

On 31.3.2018 at 11:07, yutarotanaka said:

Is it this one?

Yes, it is.

https://www.sumoandsushi.com/

There's a sushi bar named Sumo Sushi http://sumosushibar.de/ less than 10 minutes from my workplace. Never visited it, but afaik it has no relation to sumo except for the name. Will check this in the near future and have some sushi, of course everything in the name of research.

Edited by Benihana

12 hours ago, rhyen said:

Oh sweet! We have a couple in Metro Manila. I've never noticed the Makati location in little Tokyo before. I'll definitely check out the Ortigas one soon.