Jejima

Bench World Cup 2018

Jejima    286
Posted (edited)

Group G

Refioji - Pandaazuma

Achiyama (Panama) - Good Luck to Everybody!
Boltono (England) - Salut!
Chijanofuji (Belgium) - Will Messi finally shine with Argentina? Will Cristiano Ronaldo get the glory with Portugal? Or will football remain a simple game in which 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win? We will see! Enjoy the show!
Fujiko (Tunisia) - Go! Go! Go!

Shikona Rep ® C-b © Yokozuna Ozeki Sekiwake Komusubi U Joi-jin L Joi-jin U M-Mak M M-Mak L M-Mak Lower Mak V Low Mak R16 sub 1/8 sub 1/4 sub
Achiyama Panama Brazil © Argentina Portugal Colombia Russia Switzerland Serbia Nigeria Costa Rica South Korea ® Spain France Germany
Boltono England Costa Rica Brazil Argentina ® Croatia Poland Switzerland Sweden Nigeria © Iran Saudi Arabia Spain Germany Belgium
Chijanofuji Belgium South Korea France ® Portugal Colombia Poland Mexico Sweden Iceland Japan © Panama Germany Spain Argentina
Fujiko Tunisia Spain © Argentina England Uruguay Russia Denmark Senegal Peru Costa Rica ® Panama Colombia Brazil France

Jejima: Three players are from the North Pole Ichimon!  I hope they won't be too 'icy' towards Achiyama.

Round 1
Chijanofuji (Belgium) vs Achiyama (Panama)
Fujiko (Tunisia) vs Boltono (England)

Round 2
Chijanofuji (Belgium) vs Fujiko (Tunisia)
Boltono (England) vs Achiyama (Panama)

Round 3
Boltono (England) vs Chijanofuji (Belgium)
Achiyama (Panama) vs Fujiko (Tunisia)

Edited by Jejima
3rd substitutes deleted

Jejima    286
Posted (edited)

Group H

Refioji - Achiyama II

Fi Lik (Senegal) - Ha! Ha! Ha!
Maeden (Colombia) - “We lost because we didn’t win.”
Pandaazuma (Japan) - Pandas make good goalies! Good luck, all!
Suwihito (Poland) - No comment

Shikona Rep ® C-b © Yokozuna Ozeki Sekiwake Komusubi U Joi-jin L Joi-jin U M-Mak M M-Mak L M-Mak Lower Mak V Low Mak R16 sub 1/8 sub 1/4 sub
Fi Lik Senegal Switzerland France Belgium England Colombia Russia © ® Egypt Morocco South Korea Panama Croatia Argentina Poland
Maeden Colombia Nigeria Germany Argentina England ® Poland Mexico Sweden © Japan Australia Saudi Arabia Spain France Belgium
Pandaazuma Japan Uruguay Germany Argentina Portugal © Poland Switzerland Sweden Egypt ® Iran Saudi Arabia Brazil France Spain
Suwihito Poland Egypt Brazil Belgium England Uruguay ® Mexico Sweden © Morocco South Korea Saudi Arabia Germany Senegal Iceland

Jejima: A very nicely mixed up group, I think.

Round 1
Maeden (Colombia) vs Pandaazuma (Japan)
Suwihito (Poland) vs Fi Lik (Senegal)

Round 2
Pandaazuma (Japan) vs Fi Lik (Senegal)
Suwihito (Poland) vs Maeden (Colombia)

Round 3
Pandaazuma (Japan) vs Suwihito (Poland)
Fi Lik (Senegal) vs Maeden (Colombia)

Edited by Jejima
3rd substitutes deleted

Jejima    286

Many thanks to Fukurou who has again kindly volunteered to look after the Golden Boots and Golden Gloves awards.

Also, a big thank you to Atenzan who has agreed to doing some stats on the squad selections.  (Stay tuned for that!)

Many thanks to everyone for getting your squads in early.  I think that the pre-tournament admin is nearly complete. 

Jejima    286

One last bit of administration before the start of the Bench World Cup 2018.

Part of the rules for the knock-out stages include rules for penalty shoot-outs (if scores are still tied after extra time).

No need to worry too much about that at present, except that I need to receive every players' list of penalty takers. 

Deadline is May 30th 2018 (I will be leaving for Internet-unfriendly Philippines for a three week trip. Earlier entries are much preferred.)

Here is the survey to fill out.

Please select (from the 32 teams) your 11 penalty-takers in order of likelihood that you think that they will reach the quarter-finals.  Please click the N/A button next to the remaining 21 teams.

I just did a test entry, and it took less than a minute to complete.

[There are droning rules for players who miss the deadline for the Penalty takers, but it means that either Saudi Arabia or Panama will be taking the first penalty for every player, so best to avoid!]

Jejima    286
Posted (edited)

Round of 16 Penalty Takers received from:-

1. Bae Dat, 2. Fi Lik, 3. Jejima 4. Haidouzo, 5. Nekonishiki, 6. Boltono, 7. Fujiko, 8. Pitinosato 9. Finngall 10. Jakusotsu 11. Pandaazuma, 12. Fujiyama, 13. Chocshoporyu, 14. Kintamayama, 15. Ganzohnesushi, 16. Crall, 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. 28. 29. 30. 31. 32. 

[Awaiting: Achiyama, Andonishiki, Atenzan, Benihana, Bozhanitakara, Chijanofuji, chishafuwaku, Furanohana,  Krisachiyama, Kuroelwin, Maeden, Nantonoyama, Polimasa, Shatsume, Suwihito, Tanetakahiro]

Edited by Jejima

Atenzan    742
Posted (edited)

Here are the squad selection stats for this year's Bench Worlds. Pretty even distributions across the board, generally, which I think is what the tournament director would like to see. A few facts:

In slots with 4 options, Germany were the most popular (14/32) and Spain and Tunisia were tied for least popular (5/32). The most lopsided three-choice slot was Upper-Mid Makunouchi (Sweden 18, Serbia 10, Senegal 4; Senegal were the least popular pick overall.)

The most popular pick out of all the teams were Ozeki Argentina, although that's not too surprising, given that Belgium was the sole alternative, and Argentina seems to have better odds to win the cup.

76% of all substitute teams, regardless of spot, were Yokozunae. That's probably not too surprising either.

There were just 4 players who didn't include Brazil in their squad or picks; same goes for Germany. However, Germany were far more popular as a squad pick, whereas Brazil were the most popular substitute.

In the actual World Cup, I will be vehemently supporting Costa Rica in all their matches. This has nothing to do with the Bench Worlds, but it is a fact nonetheless. 

And now, the picks:

Yokozuna: Germany 14 (43.75%), Brazil 7 (21.9%), France 6 (18.75%), Spain 5 (15.6%)

Ozeki: Argentina 22 (68.75%), Belgium 10 (31.25%)

Sekiwake: England 17 (53.1%), Portugal 15 (46.9%)

Komusubi: Uruguay 10 (31.25%), Croatia 9 (28.1%), Colombia 13 (40.6%)

Upper jo'i-jin: Russia 14 (43.75%), Poland 18 (56.25%)

Lower jo'i-jin: Switzerland 16 (50%), Denmark 6 (18.75%), Mexico 10 (31.25%)

Upper-mid makunouchi: Sweden 18 (56.25%), Serbia 10 (31.25%), Senegal 4 (12.5%)

Mid-mid makunouchi: Egypt 8 (25%), Peru 7 (21.9%), Nigeria 10 (31.25%), Iceland 7 (21.9%)

Lower-mid makunouchi: Japan 12 (37.5%), Morocco 8 (25%), eventual champions Costa Rica only 12 (37.5%)- misguided and deplorable.

Low makunouchi: South Korea 8 (25%), Australia 9 (28.1%), Iran 10 (31.25%), Tunisia 5 (15.6%)

Really low makunouchi: Panama 14 (43.75%), Saudi Arabia 18 (56.25%)

Subs (96 total): Brazil 21, Spain 19, France 19, Germany 14, Argentina 4, Belgium 4, England 3, Iceland 3 (hmm), Portugal 2, Uruguay 2, Saudi Arabia 1, Croatia 1, Poland 1, Colombia 1, Senegal 1

e: to anyone quick to accuse me of heresy for not picking Costa Rica myself, I couldn't bare placing them low on my own team order when the matches are played.

Edited by Atenzan
  • Like 2

Fukurou    422
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Jejima said:

Many thanks to Fukurou who has again kindly volunteered to look after the Golden Boots and Golden Gloves awards.

You're welcome.  I live to crunch numbers  :-)

If I need to do something differently from the previous Bench Cup tournaments, please let me know

Edited by Fukurou

On 11.05.2018 at 17:50, Jejima said:

Group D

Refioji - Nekonishiki

Bae Dat (Argentina) - Where's everybody, mummy?
Jakusotsu (Iceland) - This game is more fun than the real thing!
Pitinosato (Croatia) - Have fun !
Tanetakahiro (Nigeria) - No comment

Of course there is still a lot of time until the deadline, what's more, we'll even have an entire basho before, so I'd just like to remind my group: please send your line-ups rather by e-mail than in PM, if possible.Clipboard01.jpg.ddda1f3fabf5f2deaacc17646b3d1e53.jpg And... the sooner is the better. :) I already have Bae Dat's line-ups.

Jejima    286

Group A

Refioji:  Jejima

Atenzan (Saudi Arabia) - I thoroughly enjoyed the rivalries that developed in the last Euros. Let's see if I make some new ones in the World Cup...
Crall (Egypt) - Good luck!
Furanohana (Uruguay) - Go go go !!!
Nekonishiki (Russia) - 
No comment

I will be away in the Philippines from 1st - 20th June, staying at my parents-in-law village, where I have to go into the neighbouring field, and shake my smart-phone in the air to maybe get some Internet service.  For this reason, I need to have all Group A Round 1 line-ups before I depart.  Ideally, I would also like to have all Group A Round 2 line-ups as well, as I will only be back in Hong Kong after the first match of the second round has taken place.  So, if Group A players are okay with that, please send me your line-ups for the first two rounds.  It is also okay if you would like to see some form of the teams before submitting your second round, as I can announce the line-ups when I return on 20th June, when only one round 2 match has taken place (with 15 more matches still to be decided!)

So, deadlines for entries for the first two rounds:-

Round 1:   May 30th, 11 am Moscow time (Moscow time is GMT+3 hours)

Round 2: Preferred deadline May 30th, 11 am Moscow time
                  Posssible deadline June 19th, 8:30 pm Moscow time (half-an hour before kick-off of the first match in round 2 [Russia vs Egypt], and at least half-an-hour after the final match in round 1 [Poland vs Senegal])

A big thank you to Nekonishiki, who has already sent me his line-ups for all three rounds!

I also prefer emails for line-ups, if possible.  I will PM group A members my email address.

Jejima    286
Posted (edited)

When submitting your line-ups, you should line-up your squad in the order of likelihood that you think that they will win (or at least draw).  There are special rules for Representative teams (R) and Counter-balance teams (C) - so be careful with those.

Remember that your ® team is very powerful if it wins, but can be a nightmare to your chances if it draws or loses. Your © team is 'normal' with a win, but is powerful with a draw, and bad if it loses. Your other 8 (N) teams do well if they win, are neutral if they draw, but could break your chain if they lose. With that under consideration, you need to arrange your squad in order (with the most likely to win their first round match first, to the team you think has the least chance of a win last), and send that to you refioji.

Look here under Match-play Group Stages for more details, but the above is a good summary.

Please make your subject line-up like this.....

Jejima Round 1 Selection

Then send your line up like this.... (Please indicate your ® and © picks to make it easier for your refijoi.) Make sure you send it to your correct refioji!

Jejima: 1. Netherlands, 2. Italy ©, 3. USA ®, 4. Canada, 5. New Zealand, 6. Israel, 7. Scotland, 8. Bolivia, 9. China, 10. Mongolia, 11. Greece
Comment: Please add a comment! It makes the game more fun. (Really.)

Edited by Jejima
  • Like 2

Jejima    286
Posted (edited)

Here are your World Cup matches....

Round 1
    Russia  vs    Saudi Arabia
   Egypt  vs    Uruguay
   Morocco  vs    Iran
   Portugal  vs    Spain
   France  vs    Australia
   Peru  vs    Denmark
   Argentina  vs    Iceland
   Croatia  vs   Nigeria
   Costa Rica  vs    Serbia
   Brazil  vs    Switzerland
   Germany  vs    Mexico
   Sweden  vs    South Korea
   Belgium  vs    Panama
   Tunisia  vs    England
   Colombia  vs    Japan
   Poland  vs    Senegal

Round 2
   Russia  vs    Egypt
   Uruguay  vs    Saudi Arabia
   Portugal  vs    Morocco
   Iran  vs    Spain
   Denmark  vs    Australia
   France  vs    Peru
   Argentina  vs    Croatia
   Nigeria  vs    Iceland
   Brazil  vs    Costa Rica
   Serbia  vs    Switzerland
   South Korea  vs    Mexico
   Germany  vs    Sweden
   Belgium  vs    Tunisia
   England  vs    Panama
   Japan  vs    Senegal
   Poland  vs    Colombia

Round 3
   Uruguay  vs    Russia
   Saudi Arabia  vs    Egypt
   Iran  vs    Portugal
   Spain  vs    Morocco
   Denmark  vs    France
   Australia  vs    Peru
   Nigeria  vs    Argentina
   Iceland  vs    Croatia
   Serbia  vs    Brazil
   Switzerland  vs    Costa Rica
   South Korea  vs    Germany
   Mexico  vs    Sweden
   England  vs    Belgium
   Panama  vs    Tunisia
   Japan  vs    Poland
   Senegal  vs    Colombia

Edited by Jejima

Jejima    286
Posted (edited)

I am busy updating the rules for the game over here.

Part of my intention is to make the rules less complicated - especially for the gyojis.

For clarity, I have decided to change the new rules a tiny bit regarding team substitutes (my apologies), from what I wrote a week previously.

IMPORTANT: Whilst updating the offical rules thread (and checking past competitions), I have realised that I made a BIG mistake. All teams should only be allowed TWO substitutes not THREE, with the first joining the team for the round of 16, and the second substitute joining for the quarter-finals.  My sincere apologies for that.  I will delete all the third substitutes from everybody's squads, as the simplest solution to correct my mistake.

The revised substitute rules are as follows:-

Substitutes
Players also select three substitutes for their squads.  This is a free choice from any team not already on their squad.  These substitutes are ranked from 1 and 2.  The first substitute (S1) will be added to the squad for the round of 16 matches.  The second substitute (S2) will be added for the quarter-finals onwards.  The third substitute (S3) will be added for the semi-finals onwards. 

If a player's substitute has already been knocked out of the competition, the player will not get a substitute for that round. 

Edited by Jejima
Jejima is an idiot - and should have checked the rules before setting the game up.
  • Like 1

Jejima    286

While updating the rules for the Bench World Cup (now completed, I think!), there is one rule, regarding ranking in a group, if two or more players have the same number of points.  This is based on the rules as per the current real tournament (which may change a bit from competition to competition), but adapted, where necessary, for our game. 

I have taken the following rules from the Fifa website for the 2018 World Cup, as adapted where necessary...

5. The ranking of each team in each group shall be determined as follows:

a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;
b) goal difference in all group matches;
c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.

If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings shall be determined as follows:

d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;

g) greater number of points obtained in the fair play conduct of the teams based on yellow and red cards received as follows: – yellow card: minus 1 point, red card: minus 4 points

h) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee. Randomly selected by Jejima using the random number generator (or by a refioji appointed by Jejima, should Jejima or one of his family members be involved in such a situation.)

• Like 1

Atenzan    742
42 minutes ago, Jejima said:

h) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee. Randomly selected by Jejima using the random number generator (or by a refioji appointed by Jejima, should Jejima or one of his family members be involved in such a situation.)

Surely if we need an eighth-tier tiebreaker FIFA will realise the magnitude of the drama and oblige us with a proper drawing of lots.

Atenzan    742
2 hours ago, Jejima said:

IMPORTANT: Whilst updating the offical rules thread (and checking past competitions), I have realised that I made a BIG mistake. All teams should only be allowed TWO substitutes not THREE, with the first joining the team for the round of 16, and the second substitute joining for the quarter-finals.  My sincere apologies for that.  I will delete all the third substitutes from everybody's squads, as the simplest solution to correct my mistake.

Here are the updated substitute selection stats. The percentage of Yokozuna subs has risen from 76% to 81% (52/64) following the deletion of the third substitute. Brazil remain the most popular sub pick. All four selections of Belgium have been eradicated.

Out of 64 substitutes, the selections are:

Brazil 15, Germany 13, France 12, Spain 12, Argentina 3, Uruguay 2, England 2, Iceland 1, Croatia 1, Portugal 1, Colombia 1, Senegal 1.

Jakusotsu    1,906

To all players from Group E (i.e. Finngall, Krisachiyama, and Kuroelwin)*  - this is your Refioji calling:

You can send your picks via forum PM or by email to my username at gmail.com

*(I've already got the first lineups from Jejima)

Pandaazuma    813

Sorry...I completely missed all this. I will sort it out this evening. 

Pandaazuma    813

Refioji Pandaazuma here. Could all Group G players send line-ups to my forum PM? I will ensure there is sufficient space.

Jejima    286

Update on penalty takers - half-way there!

Round of 16 Penalty Takers received from:-

1. Bae Dat, 2. Fi Lik, 3. Jejima 4. Haidouzo, 5. Nekonishiki, 6. Boltono, 7. Fujiko, 8. Pitinosato 9. Finngall 10. Jakusotsu 11. Pandaazuma, 12. Fujiyama, 13. Chocshoporyu, 14. Kintamayama, 15. Ganzohnesushi, 16. Crall, 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. 28. 29. 30. 31. 32. 

[Awaiting: Achiyama, Andonishiki, Atenzan, Benihana, Bozhanitakara, Chijanofuji, chishafuwaku, Furanohana,  Krisachiyama, Kuroelwin, Maeden, Nantonoyama, Polimasa, Shatsume, Suwihito, Tanetakahiro]

Deadline is May 30th 2018 (I will be leaving for Internet-unfriendly Philippines for a three week trip. Earlier entries are much preferred.)

Here is the survey to fill out.

Please select (from the 32 teams) your 11 penalty-takers in order of likelihood that you think that they will reach the quarter-finals.  Please click the N/A button next to the remaining 21 teams.