Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Yusho awards news

After 16 years there will be again the Wakayama governor's award for the yusho winner this basho: 500 000 yen and special products worth the same amount: mandarins, peaches and kaki of highest quality, with a(nother) giant sake cup of Negoro-nuri lacquer-ware (no English, but a German wikipedia page available)

It had been awarded from 1988 to 2002 and the prefecture now revives it for PR for Wakayama Premium fruits. It will be awarded for at least 3 years at the Haru basho. Awards from other prefectures at the Haru basho are e.g. from Nara, Oita and Miyazaki.

http://mainichi.jp/articles/20180321/ddl/k30/050/353000c

%E6%A0%B9%E6%9D%A5%E5%A1%97%E3%80%80%E6%

PR top Kasugano (Tochinowaka), who is from the region, had conferred with the governor and it was decided to revive the award. The governor would like it when the winner drinks the yusho sake not from the usual giant cup, but the one with the Wakayama mark on it.https://wbs.co.jp/news/2018/03/19/116560.html

in the back

28766751_320317561707712_633905276314976

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Was this news promulgated before the start of the basho?  It sounds like one heck of an extra incentive!

I find all this produce awarding in a strange way satisfyingly archaic. I would enjoy it even more if the winner would be handed over some livestock right there on the dohyo.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, yorikiried by fate said:

I would enjoy it even more if the winner would be handed over some livestock right there on the dohyo.

Ants!

4 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Ants!

Bizarre but why not?

(I thought more like pigs and geese.)

Edited by yorikiried by fate

14 minutes ago, yorikiried by fate said:

I find all this produce awarding in a strange way satisfyingly archaic. I would enjoy it even more if the winner would be handed over some livestock right there on the dohyo.

Yeah, the beef is my favorite prize. It would be cool if that had one of those artists who make the fake display food to make a side of beef for the presentation. 

9 minutes ago, yorikiried by fate said:

Bizarre but why not?

Hey, you must be around long enough to remember the ants, aren't you?

Listen, my mind has lost so many ants throughout the years, so in this case: no.

Disclaimer: After getting (re)enlightened I might experience a facepalm-oh-that moment.