Jonosuke

Ryogoku Area/Hotel Information

Can't get a first floor reservation at

Yoshiba

Yokoami 2-14-5

Sumida-ku

tel. 3623-4480

Former Miyagino

Anyone got a recommendation for chanko nabe near Kokugikan on a Wednesday, post basho?

Holy cow! My guests from Yokosuka were still keen last night on going to Yoshiba, so we walked over after sumo, and they charged us 3,000 yen to SIT ON THE DOHYO, good, good, good fun. just think, it is your first sumo outing, we sat on the masuseki near the back of the 1st floor, then you sit on the dohyo at Yoshiba and grind a mound of sushi and bucket of chankonabe. one person told me it was their best night in japan! i love being the informal sumo guide!

Posted (edited)

anyone got any more recent hotel reviews?

i'm looking for somewhere near the Kokugikan in January. 

Has anyone tried the Ryogoku View hotel recently?  The reviews and prices look okay. 

Thanks 

Edited by Uk.sumo.fan

1 hour ago, Uk.sumo.fan said:

anyone got any more recent hotel reviews?

i'm looking for somewhere near the Kokugikan in January. 

Has anyone tried the Ryogoku View hotel recently?  The reviews and prices look okay. 

Thanks 

I stayed at the Ryogoku View when I was there for the May basho a couple of years ago, and would recommend it. Here's my review on Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/5QacxvdRj9Z59C3j7

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kuroyama said:

I stayed at the Ryogoku View when I was there for the May basho a couple of years ago, and would recommend it. Here's my review on Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/5QacxvdRj9Z59C3j7

Thanks Kuroyama

That's really useful

They do advertise non-smoking rooms now so hopefully they do have certain rooms that guests have not smoked in recently!

22 hours ago, Uk.sumo.fan said:

Thanks Kuroyama

That's really useful

They do advertise non-smoking rooms now so hopefully they do have certain rooms that guests have not smoked in recently!

I think it may be based on the type of room. I got one of their standard single rooms and none of them were non-smoking. Perhaps other types of rooms have non-smoking available.

• Thanks 1

OK, there are a number of reasons why I don't plan to ever travel to Japan, but this last revelation just added one.

Posted (edited)

To be honest I would just take a train into ryogoku, there aren't a lot of reasons to stay overnight in the area. The basho ends at 6pm and the restaurant options around the area aren't that exciting. There are a couple chanko places but its sort of a catch-22 isn't it?

There's a small chain of hotels I found this time 'Tokyu Stay', which has really nice clean rooms, non-smoking, with a washer/dryer in the rooms. They are in various city centers like Shinbashi and Nihonbashi which are <30minutes by train to ryogoku. The washer/dryer is really clutch because then you can pack 1/3rd of the clothes you need but then you don't need to spend a bunch of time at the coin laundry watching clothes go round on your vacation.

Edit: They also have a couple sets of cutlery in each room so you don't feel like a complete monster re-heating some ekiben in your room for breakfast.

Edited by Tsuchinoninjin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want cheaper hotels, try searching the Asakusabashi district on the other side of the Sumida River. Located between Akihabara station and Ryogoku station

there is Hotel Max, ICI, Grids hostel, Mystays, etc.

one benefit of this location is the Asakusa subway line which is directly connected to both Haneda & Narita airport.