Jakusotsu

Basho Talk Haru 2018 (SPOILERS)

sekitori    227
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ALAKTORN said:

It’s called hassōtobi 八艘飛び.

I did not know the name of this technique and I thank you for telling us what it is. I'm sure many and probably most of us didn't know either. I realize it is not a recognized kimarite because it in and of itself is not a winning technique. But if done effectively,  it can immediately lead to one. In this particular case, hassōtobi→uwatenage→spectacular win accomplished in about one second.

Edited by sekitori

Jakusotsu    1,888

Some veterans might still call it "Air Hayate".

• Like 2

Onibushou    28

Anyone know the origin of the term? 飛び makes sense, but searching 八艘 in the dictionary only brought up やそうとび (yasoutobi instead of ha-?) and nothing else.

• Like 2

Eikokurai    74
10 hours ago, Dapeng said:

As to Harumafuji, he was in bad condition and could have withdrawn from the basho, but it would be terrible and embarrassing for the NSK to have all four yokozuna kyujo or absent from the same one basho, which never happened in history. Harumafuji persevered and eventually yushoed, fulfilling the duty of a yokozuna. That's why his yusho was magnificent and he deserved to be respected. 

I don’t think I disrespected him; I simply said that an 11-5 yusho isn’t as impressive as a commanding 13-2 when you’ve lead from day one. Remember also that Kakuryu has spent the past year beaten up and entered this and the previous basho despite injuries, much like Harumafuji, and fulfilled his Yokozuna duty, like Harumafuji.

• Like 1

yutarotanaka    62
13 hours ago, rhyen said:

Best Senshuraku photo yet

Reveal hidden contents

DZNh35VVAAAJR-H.jpg:large

Shodai: "Ummm... I ate all the chanko. There's nothing left Yutakayama-san."

Yutakayama: "Whhhhaaaaaattt?!?!"

• Haha 1

yutarotanaka    62
14 hours ago, rhyen said:

Best Senshuraku photo yet

Reveal hidden contents

DZNh35VVAAAJR-H.jpg:large

Shodai: "Ummm... I'm pregnant. You're the father Yutakayama-san."

Yutakayama: "Whhhhaaaaaattt?!?!"

:-D(Laughing...)

• Haha 3

ALAKTORN    293
16 hours ago, Onibushou said:

Anyone know the origin of the term? 飛び makes sense, but searching 八艘 in the dictionary only brought up やそうとび (yasoutobi instead of ha-?) and nothing else.

http://www.aisf.or.jp/~jaanus/deta/h/hassoutobi.htm

An abbreviation for Yoshitsune hassoutobi 義経八艘飛 or Yoshitsune's Leap over Eight Boats, one of the many legends surrounding the tragic warrior Minamoto no *Yoshitsune 源義経 (1159-89) and a popular pictorial theme. At the end of Dan-no-ura no kassen 壇ノ浦の合戦 (the Battle of Dan-no-ura), the fierce general Taira no Noritsune 平教経 (1160-85) decided his final confrontation would be with the Genji 源氏 (Minamoto) leader and found his way to Yoshitsune's boat. Dodging Noritsune's lunge, Yoshitsune tucked his spear under his arm and made a prodigious leap to another boat more than two boat-lengths away. Both the descriptions in HEIKE MONOGATARI 平家物語 (The Tale of The Heike) and GENPEI SEISUIKI 源平盛衰記 (The Rise and Fall of The Genji and The Heike) report Yoshitsune leaping one boat, yet in later legends the distance grows to eight boats. The incident is illustrated as one part of pictures of the battle scenes of the Genpei War Genpei kassen-zu 源平合戦図 on folding screens *byoubu 屏風 and as the sole subject of warrior pictures *musha-e 武者絵 and sometimes in 'parody pictures' *mitate-e 見立絵 by *ukiyo-e 浮世絵 artists.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 11

sekitori    227
Posted (edited)

The word serendipity is defined as the act of finding something valuable or delightful when you are not looking for it.  I mentioned in this thread about a spectacular henka I saw. It has resulted in my learning about a fascinating ancient Japanese legend I previously knew nothing about. Thank you, Alaktorn for providing me with a very serendipitous experience. 

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 5

RabidJohn    311

This takes me back. One of my earliest exposures to Japanese culture was reading a novel called The Children of Hachiman when I was about 18. The main character is the same Yoshitsune, and it's a novelisation of the legends.

Spoiler

Very sad ending - made me cry!

WAKATAKE    913
Posted (edited)

I forgot to do a top 10 update for Haru 2018, so here goes.

- Aminishiki's 8-7 finish for the basho propelled him into sole 9th place for most all time wins in sumo at 862, passing Terao who has 860. The next person in front of him is Taiho at 872

- Taiho's grandson Naya in his debut basho had no trouble winning the jonokuchi yusho with a 7-0 record, and will look to continue his streak in Tokyo in May

- Aminishiki has completed 1698 matches all time and has moved ahead of Wakanosato for sole 5th place. The next person in front of him is Kaio at 1731

- Hakuho while kyujo was ranked in makuuchi for the 83rd basho, barring a retirement from the great one before next basho he will enter into a two way tie for 10th place with Kirinji at 84 basho in the top division

- In a rather unorthodox way of becoming number 1, Hakuho sat out his 64th basho ranked as Yokozuna, breaking Kitanoumi's record of 63 that had stood for over 30 years

- Aminishiki competed in his 109th basho as a sekitori. Next basho he will enter into a two way tie with Terao for 3rd place

- Hanakaze extended the all time basho record to 192. Kyokuhikari called it a day after completing his 155th basho

- As was discussed quite a bit before the basho, and with a lot of banzuke luck, young up and comer Enho tied the record for fastest climb to the Juryo division at 6 basho, tying Kotetsuyama (Itai), Tosayutaka, and Jokoryu. However his not so grand debut in the sekitori ranks has endangered his chances for challenging the speed run records for makuuchi

- Mitakeumi was on a 5 basho streak for being ranked at Sekiwake, but with his 7-8 record for Haru, that streak is more than likely to end next basho. The 10th place record is 7

- Mitakeumi is on a 7 basho streak for being ranked in the lower sanyaku (sekiwake and komusubi combined), with some luck this streak may continue if the banzuke committee decides to keep him at komusubi for Natsu. The 10th place record is 11

Edited by WAKATAKE
  • Like 5

Philioyamfugi    105

Was amazing that Aminishiki could KK as banged up as he was... Proves that spirit comes first !!

Amamaniac    176
20 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Hakuho ended up sitting out his 83rd makuuchi basho, but barring a retirement from the great one before next basho he will enter into a two way tie for 10th place with Kirinji at 84 basho

Are you sure you don't mean 83rd Makuuchi "bout" (i.e., four basho plus various early withdrawals)?

WAKATAKE    913
1 minute ago, Amamaniac said:

Are you sure you don't mean 83rd Makuuchi "bout" (i.e., four basho plus various early withdrawals)?

As long as you are ranked on the banzuke it counts as a basho. Doesn't matter whether you sit out or not.

Bumpkin    342
21 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

- Hakuho ended up sitting out his 83rd makuuchi basho, but barring a retirement from the great one before next basho he will enter into a two way tie for 10th place with Kirinji at 84 basho

WAKATAKE; The way you phrased this, it could mean that Hakuho has sat out 83 bashos. That's all.