Jakusotsu

Basho Talk Haru 2018 (SPOILERS)

4 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Kaisei did well to get this far but he’s not yusho material just yet. 

Not in any foreseeable future, even with Kaisei A for 15 days. But he has done well.

• Like 3

My favourite bout of the day was Mitakeumi v. Hokutofuji.  A struggling Sekiwake needed a win to avoid his MK.  He was up against a longtime rival, and they both fought tooth and nail.  Hokutoumi ended up falling with Mitakeumi's sagari clenched in his hand.  Mitakeumi, who was still on his feet, spun back across the ring and stepped out as though privately celebrating the victory (in part relieved to get the win).  He is safe for the time being.  

But Hokutofuji showed real sportsmanship.  After getting back up on his feet, he walked over and handed the sagari back to Mitakeumi.  Then he gave a very proper (Homasho-esque) bow before leaving the ring.  I'm definitely more impressed with Hokutofuji now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yubinhaad said:

I love seeing Endo when he's in top physical shape, his sumo is just outstanding. Today he relentlessly tried to get that right hand mae-mawashi grip (I counted at least five attempts), all the while inching forwards and nullifying Chiyomaru's oshi attack. More please.

Then I am sure you will appreciate the latest Matsushima cartoons. Head on over.

On 3/21/2018 at 23:20, Yukiarashi said:

I know I have joked about it a few times now, but for me the story of the basho with all that's gone on so far has to be the 32-year old soggy Akiseyama arisen from the dead and is temporarily leading Juryo at 9-3. He got a lot of banzuke luck in his promotion, but today's comeback victory against a KK seeking Daishoho really surprised me. This right in the same area as returning Makuuchi mainstay Takanoiwa is deeply struggling at 5-7 too. I would love to see him get the yusho, as he had an ugly 1-14 exit to the division when he was last ranked here nearly two years ago!

It's amazing how the lumbering Akiseyama can beat anybody in juryo.   At this rate, we may see him in Makuuchi again where he didn't fare so well. 

Personally, this basho has been less exciting/interesting than the bashos in the past.  Truth to be told, Juryo goings have been more interesting.   The only thing that'd be interesting is if Mitakeumi would KK and keep his Sekiwake ranking.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Personally, this basho has been less exciting/interesting than the bashos in the past.  Truth to be told, Juryo goings have been more interesting.   The only thing that'd be interesting is if Mitakeumi would KK and keep his Sekiwake ranking.

Junior sanyaku is certainly where a lot of the interest lies. As well as Mitakeumi, there's Ichinojo's (temporary?)return to form. The post yusho form of Tochinoshin. Plus the M1 contest between Endo and Tamawashi to get into the ranks. 

5 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

My favourite bout of the day was Mitakeumi v. Hokutofuji.  A struggling Sekiwake needed a win to avoid his MK.  He was up against a longtime rival, and they both fought tooth and nail.  Hokutoumi ended up falling with Mitakeumi's sagari clenched in his hand.  Mitakeumi, who was still on his feet, spun back across the ring and stepped out as though privately celebrating the victory (in part relieved to get the win).  He is safe for the time being.  

But Hokutofuji showed real sportsmanship.  After getting back up on his feet, he walked over and handed the sagari back to Mitakeumi.  Then he gave a very proper (Homasho-esque) bow before leaving the ring.  I'm definitely more impressed with Hokutofuji now.

Hokutofuji always does a very nice bow after his bout. That's one of the many very likeable things about him. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lackmaker said:

Not in any foreseeable future, even with Kaisei A for 15 days. But he has done well.

Kaisei, that nice brazilian fellow - the nicest in sumo by far - is a M3 to K at his best. And that's not a demerit, he should always be proud of his S status (that he get after a KK as Komosubi)

Edited by bettega
  • Like 2

I'm really enjoying this tournament. I started following sumo after a trip to Japan in 2009, and basically I've been a massive Hakuho fan since then. He's basically kept me hooked on the sport. About a year or so ago, when Hak was first starting to creak a bit, I started to wonder whether I'd still carve out the time to follow sumo after he retired. This basho has convinced me that I will. I enjoy watching Abi, Ichinojo, Takayasu, Endou, and a few others - not saying it's brilliant sumo all the time, but it's keeping me entertained.

• Like 2

Daiamami finally got his KK no thanks to me jinxing him. Ichinojo looks like his back is bothering him again, just can't get low at all. Routing for Kakaruu to clinch.  Toyonoshima goes 6-1 and should be again knocking on juyo's door in May. 

Some really good bouts today, unfortunately the headliner was a dud.

Mitakeumi v Hokutofuji was probably the best of the bunch. Agree with @Amamaniac on Hokutofuji's sportsmanship, it's clear these two college rivals have a lot of mutual respect for each other. Two promising rikishi who are struggling (possibly a bit banged up), but giving it their all.

Ryuden is one of those reserved rikishi who goes overlooked, similar to a Kagayaki, but he came out fiery today, determined not to go MK today.

Endo and Shodai are looking at the best I've seen them during my first year of following sumo. That was really impressive sumo by Endo against a Chiyomaru who is also fighting well.

Championship weekend. Not out of the realm of possibility that we see Takayasu beat Mitakeumi and Goeido beat Kakuryu, setting up for a meaningful last bout on senshuraku

2 hours ago, Philioyamfugi said:

Toyonoshima goes 6-1 and should be again knocking on juyo's door in May. 

Let's not get ahead of things here; it's not even a certainty that he'll be ranked above Ms15 next time. And going 7-0 is difficult in any basho.

For those of you following Enho's Juryo debut, in just an hour or so, the hinomaru Mighty Mouse will be facing his heaviest opponent so far in this tournament: Tokushoryu @ 190kg.  That's 96kg more than (i.e., more than twice as heavy as) Enho soaking wet!  He's been crushed several times but his spirit is indomitable.  Perhaps he will find a way to surprise everyone today, especially his opponent.

Daishoho kachikoshi! (Holidayfeeling...) Against the yusho leader, no less. Really been enjoying his sumo since he returned to juryo last basho.

• Thanks 1

Nikkan had an interesting article and after running a query, they were onto something.

Kaisei is now in second place for most fusen wins since the fusen system was implemented in 1928. He is tied in second place with Kaio and Tochinonada at 10. The current leader is Dewanishiki at 11. Tamawashi sits in a four way tie for 5th place with 9 fusen wins, while Tochiozan is in a seven way tie for 9th place with 8 fusen wins.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/column/sumo/news/201803220000171.html

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&group_by=rikishi1&having=8&kimarite=74&onlyw1=on

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitakeumi blew that with Takayasu on the bales, back turned and scrambling. You have to finish those. 

Tochinoshin just one win from the ten he probably needs to avoid upsetting his Ozeki run.

One more step forward and Goeido would have taken the yusho race to the final day, but we’ll done to Kakuryu. It’s been a long time coming for him.

I can't even describe how happy I am.  To see Kakuryu winning a yusho again after a whole year being injured, all the talks about his retirement and even most recent injury that he ignored to represent the name of the Yokozuna. There was so much pressure on him. He wanted to win as a Y1E, it paid off so well. Diligent and hardworking, he showed that he is a true yokozuna. He deserved this so much. 

• Like 4

I just can’t believe that Tochinoshin tried to lift Chiyomaru. Dude. I hope he gets a win tomorrow.

Well done to Kakuryu. That should keep the YDC off his back for a while and hopefully encourage Kisenosato to come back only when he’s ready. 

• Like 1

Mitakeumi vs Takayasu was the type of match that makes me want to yell 'I LOVE SUMO!!!' as loud as I can. Awesome stuff :-D(KaioU...)

Big congrats to K-Ryu. Normally I'd favour day 15 drama, but I'm pleased to see him win again after a tough stretch.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 4

Congratulations Kakuryu!!! I always believed he wasn't done yet and has a very respectable 4 yushos now! So great to see him do better than ever and the top Yokozuna the last couple of basho after all those injuries, especially as I always thought of him as the best mannered Yokozuna of the current era.

The yusho deciding bout wasn't much to speak of but what a day of bouts! Three or four incredible escapes from defeat today. Takayasu-Mitakeumi was incredible! Mitakeumi threw the kitchen sink, the dishwasher, the refrigerator, and half the neighbor's kitchen aswell at Takayasu yet somehow he falls to his first MK since Kyushu 2016! How did Takayasu escape that!? I guess his round build works well for spinning around on people too. What a bout!

Sad to see Chiyomaru fall to MK as much as he deserved to have a good record, but glad for Tochinoshin getting another win toward an Ozeki run.

Yoshikaze starts winning against higher ranked competition, shouldn't have expected anything less. Didn't think I'd see a mawashi battle with these two. Another good escape.

Well I guess that answers the question if Ichinojo has shut 'er down for the basho.

Shohozan-Tamawashi was another fantastic bout of escapes. How do these guys win some of these? Shohozan has had so much effort this time!

Endo-Hokutofuji was another exciting one lost in an entire day of great bouts.

Arawashi-Ryuden was another escape bout. Arawashi just didn't have a final push and Ryuden survived a tawara-tightrope a few times. Another great bout.

Ooh I detected some ruffled feathers with Kotoshogiku losing to Abi there. I guess henkas are a sore subject with Kotoshogiku, especially in Osaka, on day 14.

I loved seeing Kaisei and Tamawashi interact with fans a bit after their bouts. You can tell they're some of the friendliest guys.

Chiyonokuni-Daieisho was also pretty hectic. Great comeback by Chiyoshoma, 1-5 to 8-6. Yutakayama 10-4!

Ahoy! Captain Ikioi the Pirate (Band-Aid looked like an eyepatch) blasts the cannon and improves to 11-3! 

What a last day in Juryo we'll have! Three guys tied for the lead at 10-4 and I don't think anyone thought Kotoeko or Akiseyama would be two of them.

Tomorrow still looks to be entertaining, Takayasu vs. Kakuryu should be a great bout, I think if Takayasu wins he could be on a potential tsuna-run next basho. If he loses then no.

Ichinojo-Tochinoshin is always entertaining, Tochinoshin getting 10 wins I think would get him a for sure Ozeki run for Natsu.

Kaisei-Ikioi is a great bout I didn't realize hadn't happened yet, both deserve a jun-yusho share (or whole) sad only one can get it though.

Could Aminishiki shock everyone and get promoted BACK to Makuuchi? It's definitely flown under the radar, but I think that's an exchange bout tomorrow with Myogiryu. 

• Like 2

The hall went completely silent when Kakuryu won the yusho. I know, they were all rooting for their local boy Goeido, but still....awkward.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yukiarashi said:

Ooh I detected some ruffled feathers with Kotoshogiku losing to Abi there. I guess henkas are a sore subject with Kotoshogiku, especially in Osaka, on day 14.

Oh yes, the way he threw him off afterwards...Kotoshogiku looked p*ssed! 

Abi needs to work on bulking up his legs. They seem disproportionately gangly compared to the rest of him. Might help wean him off the daily tsuppari as well. 

The winner of Kaisei-Ikioi will of course get a kanto-sho, but will Ikioi get one, too, if he loses? Kaisei should have it secured by being in the yusho lead that long.

Tochinoshin shukun-sho is also fix, and I expect Endo to get the gino-sho.

Edited by Akinomaki

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

The hall went completely silent when Kakuryu won the yusho. I know, they were all rooting for their local boy Goeido, but still....awkward.

I haven't seen the matches yet but they were probably hoping he'd at least get a meaningless win against a Yokozuna as a consultation prize.