Jakusotsu

Basho Talk Haru 2018 (SPOILERS)

13 minutes ago, VirtualSumo said:

What do people think of Kakuryu's sumo today?  This going backwards and slapping down is still working but I feel sure its shelf life will prove short with customers from sanyaku ranks.  Im expecting another week 2 collapse.

I'd say it was a combo of Shohozan being really strong this basho and Kakuryu gradually losing his health-and-fitness battle, but I still see Kakuryu as 11-4 this basho

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, VirtualSumo said:

What do people think of Kakuryu's sumo today?  This going backwards and slapping down is still working but I feel sure its shelf life will prove short with customers from sanyaku ranks.  Im expecting another week 2 collapse.

To me he hasn't really gotten lucky but he hasn't looked good either.  I'm seeing no real power. I think he loses to 3 of the sanyaku at least.

• Like 1

Daiamami another win on the belt, he's a big boy at 180kg. Now 7-1 special  prize maybe?  I hope Endou can pull out a KK at M1, he's really fighting hard.  I'm sure Kagayaki will get his usuall 6- 9 wins, still young and has a way to go.  Hokotofuji and yoshikaze just a bad tournament ?  Maybe Kaise's Yusho ? I agree Kakaruu might hit a wall like last time. Ichinojo cool as a cucumber..

Who will be Y1e Kakuryu's (8-0) Day 10 opponent? By rank, it will be M5e Chiyomaru (3-5). By record, it will be M6e Kaisei (8-0). All of Kakuryu's Day 11-15 opponents are predetermined.

Chiyomaru.

Kaisei will probably be filling in for sekiwake/komosubi matches and possibly 1 ozeki before Day 13.

5 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

Who will be Y1e Kakuryu's (8-0) Day 10 opponent? By rank, it will be M5e Chiyomaru (3-5). By record, it will be M6e Kaisei (8-0). All of Kakuryu's Day 11-15 opponents are predetermined.

Chiyomaru. The only way Kasei will be facing Kakuru this basho is in a playoff. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

My money is on Kakuryu-Kaisei on day 10.

Really? Hmmmm.............

Kakuryu?  Not on a zensho path.  Looks like he is in his usual form of past.   If Kaisei keeps on winning, why not?  Kaisei may just get the yusho.

2 hours ago, Philioyamfugi said:

Hokotofuji and yoshikaze just a bad tournament ? 

Hokotofuji must have an unjury, he seems totally off.

I think Kakuryu's plan for this bout was perfectly executed. We all know Shohozan's slapping sumo, the bout was just like the one with Takakeisho. Kakuryu once again adapted to his opponent's sumo and gave him very good lesson on slapping. He did not even feel Shohozan's initial slap on the tachiai. Commanding performance in my view. 

• Like 4

Isn't Kaisei a nice fellow? His interview was pure joy :D

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chankomafuji said:

I think Kakuryu's plan for this bout was perfectly executed. We all know Shohozan's slapping sumo, the bout was just like the one with Takakeisho. Kakuryu once again adapted to his opponent's sumo and gave him very good lesson on slapping. He did not even feel Shohozan's initial slap on the tachiai. Commanding performance in my view. 

I really thought is was like a cat playing with a mouse... Then killing it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kuroyama said:

So who is the guest commentator tonight? They showed a very old clip of one of his bouts, but I couldn't get his name.

The guest was actor Sasano Takashi (b. 1948).  The old black-and-white clip was from a match between Narutobi and Kagamisato from Autumn 1956.  The focus seemed to be on small (or in this case, "pencil thin") sumo wrestlers.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Thoroughly enjoyed the Tochinoshin-Mitakeumi bout today.  Masterful performance from Tochinoshin.

Mitakeumi did his best to keep Tochinoshin off his mawashi, but that made him bend forward (to maintain separation) and low, exposing him (i.e., the back of his neck) to Tochinoshin's hatakikomi.

The disturbing thing was that when Mitakeumi extended his right leg to stop from going out in the corner, he seemed to strain that knee and was limping after the bout was over.  Mitakeumi and Tochinoshin seem to be on good terms.  Hopefully, this accidental injury won't jeopardize their friendship...  From 5-3, Mitakeumi is no longer a contender in this tournament, IMHO.

54 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Mitakeumi did his best to keep Tochinoshin off his mawashi, but that made him bend forward (to maintain separation) and low, exposing him (i.e., the back of his neck) to Tochinoshin's hatakikomi.

The disturbing thing was that when Mitakeumi extended his right leg to stop from going out in the corner, he seemed to strain that knee and was limping after the bout was over.  Mitakeumi and Tochinoshin seem to be on good terms.  Hopefully, this accidental injury won't jeopardize their friendship...  From 5-3, Mitakeumi is no longer a contender in this tournament, IMHO.

Probably not, but it may cut both ways after this bout.  Tochinoshin seemed incredulous that Mitakeumi would pull a semi-henka.

8 hours ago, Philioyamfugi said:

Daiamami another win on the belt, he's a big boy at 180kg. Now 7-1 special  prize maybe?  

Daiamami has also shown excellent sumo in those seven wins. No real flukes in there, but solid and in some cases, really inspired sumo

• Like 2

Endo-Chiyotairyu was such a typical Chiyotairyu A bout - it's not easy, but if you do survive both the push and the pull, you're probably beating him soon after. (Chiyotairyu B of course pulls immediately.)

Although still on the low end of the makuuchi ranks, Daiamami has done better than I thought, not only in this basho but in general as a sekitori. After his 6 basho run of 4-3s, where he regularly gave lackluster showings, I was expecting more of a Tsurugisho type career, but he moved through juryo fairly well (a yusho and only 1 MK) and could be headed for a special prize and a single digit rank next basho.

Edited by Katooshu

Toyohibiki 0-4 now at Ms9. :-( 

Is he still ill or injured? His collapse from being a upper Maegashira guy to Juryo-Makuuchi yoyo was very sudden, now from Juryo to Makushita looks even more dramatic. 

Kakuryu got Chiyomaru Day 10. Kaisei is facing Ichinojo.

8 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Kakuryu got Chiyomaru Day 10. Kaisei is facing Ichinojo.

That'd be an easy prey for Kak whereas Kaisei will not likely survive the rock - IMHO.

1 minute ago, robnplunder said:

That'd be an easy prey for Kak whereas Kaisei will not likely survive the rock - IMHO.

I think you are right. But if there is 1 kinboshi in Chiyomaru's career someplace, tomorrow will probably be the best chance he will ever have to get it.