Jakusotsu

Basho Talk Haru 2018 (SPOILERS)

3 minutes ago, Wakaebala said:

I think Aoiyama just got robbed. 

He absolutely did. So stupid not even calling a monoii. They’re being so biased towards the attacking side these days. Pretty sure yesterday or some other day the exact same thing happened?

This could have repercussions on the yūshō race too.

Edited by ALAKTORN

Enho called Hakuho his shisho in the interview - as shisho of course Miyagino-oyakata made a comment. Everybody knows that it is in effect Hakuho, but Enho should not mention it that directly.

25 minutes ago, yutarotanaka said:

After the incident, does he still think that? Maybe this description/profile is not updated. Perhaps the one in-charge of the graphics isn't too familiar with what's going on in the sumo world and it was an oversight. Or perhaps they put it there intentionally as an easter egg for Kinta to find. Hehe.

Or, perhaps he still likes karaoke, regardless..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Enhou interview was by far the best new rikishi interview I have ever seen, Intelligent, calm, really fun to watch. Mainoumi is today's commentator and he gave him some small man tips. Then, suddenly, Enhou takes this golden opportunity and asks Mainoumi what he was thinking about the most during his bouts against large opponents. I've never seen such confidence before, the interviewee asking a question..Mainoumi answered that he always looked at his opponents' hands. Before that, they showed a clip of Enhou before his first ever Juryo dohyo-iri, asking the gyoji where exactly  he was supposed to stand. "I made it  up here so quickly I wasn't prepared and didn't know what to do.." he explained. Maybe i'll try to translate and post it-it's exceptionally long.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

I planned on waiting until the end of the basho to put my two cents in about Enho's performance, but wow. That match against Takanoiwa has to be one of my favorite bouts I've ever witnessed.

When he loses, he doesn't just lose. He goes down fighting tooth and nail. He puts in 110% and he doesn't give up. And he adapts to the match as it plays out, using every technique he can to get his opponent down or out.

He may drop back to makushita after this, but I have no doubt that he has a long and bright future as a sekitori. Once he gains some weight and strengthens his lower body, he'll be a force to be reckoned with, even for the biggest of opponents. (A future bout between Enho and Ichinojo would be a spectacular sight.)

• Like 1

Nice wins from Shodai and Shohozan.

Shodai was just "Get your sh*t outta here!" to Hokutofuji.

Nice escape there there by Shohozan to keep his perfect record so far.

Aoiyama was robbed for sure.

Endo put up a nice resistance there. That long 'embrace' they had towards the middle of the ring seemed awkward and lasted a bit too long. I thought they fell asleep for a wild moment there.

57 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Enho called Hakuho his shisho in the interview - as shisho of course Miyagino-oyakata made a comment. Everybody knows that it is in effect Hakuho, but Enho should not mention it that directly.

I don't recall the exact instance, but I do recall hearing the term used by rikishi in the sense of referring to a mentor in their stable (the coach who recruited them and oversees their training) separate from the stablemaster.  Though they are often one and the same person, I don't think it is exclusive to the stablemaster in all cases.

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Fair point. I would have thought he'd be traumatized by the incident. If it was me I'd avoid anything that resembles a karaoke mic. But that's just me. Takanoiwa is obviously made of tougher stuff than little ol' me. :D

Kakuryū doesn’t look injured at all. I thought he won the first bout already but a nice convincing win after the torinaoshi.

Kaisei, Shōhōzan, Kakuryū at 5–0. Should really be Aoiyama too, I’m pissed at that. Kaisei is looking Kaisei A through and through, nice tournament so far. Shōhōzan turned into more of a belt man and it’s working out well it seems.

Tochinoshin still keeping hopes alive with 3–2.

Edited by ALAKTORN

40 minutes ago, yutarotanaka said:

Endo put up a nice resistance there. That long 'embrace' they had towards the middle of the ring seemed awkward and lasted a bit too long. I thought they fell asleep for a wild moment there.

The long embrace happens often.  Nothing to see there.   ;-)   Of late, Ichinojo has been winning these long embraces.    He wasn't like that when he was yo-yo'ng up and down the mid-Makuuchi ranks.   Perhaps, he's injury free or simply improved.   He has been solid like a rock.  

Not even a monoi in Aoiymama match?   That was the worst no monoi call in recent memory.   

I see a pattern now among the opponents of Takakeisho.   Blast him back at Tachi-hai, i.e, don't let the little guy back you up.   Takakeisho was blasted out of the ring by Goeido.

Mitakeumi looks to be strong but I said the same thing in the lat basho when he went 7-0 in the 1st 7 days.   

14 hours ago, Yukiarashi said:

I've been very impressed with Daishomaru this time he's looked dominant the last two days, maybe he's finally breaking out from being the most nondescript rikishi in Makuuchi.

who?

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, ALAKTORN said:

Tochinoshin still keeping hopes alive with 3–2.

Yes, but he looks like a completely different rikishi from the last basho.   He does not look like an yusho contender at all..   Perhaps, he's not at 100% physically.  

Speaking of yusho contender, I like Kak, Mitakeumi, Ichinojo's chances.   

2 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Mitakeumi looks to be strong but I said the same thing in the lat basho when he went 7-0 in the 1st 7 days.   

Honestly Mitakeumi is always strong. I don’t doubt he’ll make ōzeki before long.

I forgot about Ichinojō, definitely looking in form. I think the yūshō could go to any of Kakuryū, Mitakeumi, Tochinoshin, Ichinojō, or Aoiyama. I don’t think Takayasu/Gōeidō are looking good enough for the comeback… would be crazy if the yūshō went to someone below ōzeki again.

Btw a question, what’s the term for komusubi + sekiwake? Lower san’yaku or something?

Edit:

5 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Yes, but he looks like a completely different rikishi from the last basho.   He does not look like an yusho contender at all..   Perhaps, he's not at 100% physically. 

I have to disagree, Tochinoshin is looking just as good which surprised me. Tamawashi just fought really well and he was unlucky against Takakeishō (who historically always beats him anyway) after having basically won.

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Yes, but now he always hires those little padded karaoke cells you can get in Japan for practising on your own.

14 minutes ago, Naganoyama said:

Yes, but now he always hires those little padded karaoke cells you can get in Japan for practising on your own.

I'm guessing he's just sticking to mobile apps Smule or WeSing from now on... Too risky to do Karaoke any other way... :-D:-P(Laughing...)

There hasn't been much quality rolling in the last couple of days but the Geek proved at the end of that bout that he is still the master of the roll once he gets knocked over. 

And who is this person impersonating Kaisei?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:
18 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Interesting match-up way way  down under in Jonokuchi  tomorrow. Naya, Taihou's grandson, against Houshouryuu, Asashouryuu's nephew.  They have met twice before-once when they were amateurs, and the second time last basho in mae-zumo. Naya won both bouts. Both are 2-0 at the moment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Asa Junior looked outweighed by Taiho Junior there. Be interested to see what happens when he puts on more weight.

• Like 1

Have there ever been so many flashlights in Jonokuchi?

6 hours ago, ALAKTORN said:

He absolutely did. So stupid not even calling a monoii. They’re being so biased towards the attacking side these days. Pretty sure yesterday or some other day the exact same thing happened?

This could have repercussions on the yūshō race too.

Hello to all.

In such situations in Italy you would have every kind of bad comments by media, hysterical reactions by fans, criticism by other competitors, ecc., for one week at least.
I'd like to ask one question: what are the reactions of such error in Japan? Everything normal? Just part of the game? Aoiyama's victory was clear at first sight...

Inconsistent from the shimpan today in overlooking the blatant gyoji error in the Aoiyama–Miyogiryu bout but then calling for the torinaoshi in Kakuryu-Takarafuji for a not dissimilar ending. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ALAKTORN said:

Btw a question, what’s the term for komusubi + sekiwake? Lower san’yaku or something?

Yes I've seen that, or "junior sanyaku". The Banzuke Topics at the Kyokai site use simply "sanyaku" as the ozeki rank is often regarded as distinct from the other two sanyaku ranks.

7 hours ago, Taikoubana said:

(A future bout between Enho and Ichinojo would be a spectacular sight.)

On paper Enho vs Endo looks better.

My boy Kagayaki back to his Kung fu style sumo beating Abi.  I like this new kid Daiamami good sumo body and I remember a very nervous interview back on his fist top division win.  Good win over Ikioi