Jakusotsu

Basho Talk Haru 2018 (SPOILERS)

How fun is Abi to watch? Great spirited battle between him and Kaisei and great mutual respect shown after the bout. Hope Abi is a mainstay in the top division for many years to come.

Mitakeumi starting off strong again, but he did the same in Hatsu. Needs to keep it going in the early days and keep that momentum when he starts facing the sanyaku in week 2. Really rooting hard for him every day and hope this is the start of the Ozeki run.

Not a fan of Tamawashi, but must admit he looks really good.

Kakuryu not looking as strong as he did at the start of Hatsu, but certainly genki enough to get a Yokozuna KK.

Ichinojo is looking very strong again, but I'm waiting for someone to tactically start forcing him to perform more lateral movement. Going head on is just not smart, need to force him to a side to potentially get him off balance and use his enormous momentum against him.

Edited by Tiger Tanaka
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sutārokku said:

Kakuryu won by using that dreaded push down of his, a move that cost him 3 of his loses last basho; Endo  got his kimboshi last basho against him anticipating this move;  this time Kakuryu used twice consecutively and it worked but I would be really careful about keep using it so often during this basho if I was him. 

On the NHK broadcast Naruto oyakata explained that he didn't give up pushing as quickly as he often does, and used circling footwork when backing away under pressure, so was able to execute the slap-down successfully. When he moves straight back and tries it, it is more likely to fail him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Takayasu went in way too low on Ichinojo, and just handed Ichinojo the back of his neck: down he went!  Two losses in two days.  

In the NHK Sumo Preview, both Murray Johnson and Hiro Morita predicted that this would be Takayasu's yusho breakthrough.  After two days, I don't think their prediction will come true.  I am starting to think that Takayasu is dependent on a healthy Kisenosato (sparring partner & stablemate) in terms of pre-tournament training.  With Kise still injured, Takayasu can't seem to get his groove back.  #OzekiNotBeingOzeki

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Soooo.....this basho is all about heavyweights, isn't it?  B-)

Seriously though, they perform admirably so far. Especially Kaisei looked exceptionally nimble and focused against Abi. Sanyaku is looming, unless Kaisei B takes over again.

Hehe. Yeah, just felt like talking about the big guys this morning.

Hey. Long-time sumo fan and forum reader, first-time poster. I’ve been trying to sign up for ages from inside China but I guess there’s some internet issue that prevented the security check working. Took the chance to sign up on holiday! :-)

Very much looking forward to the rest of the basho with the field wide open. My underdog tip to be in the yusho race is Aoiyama, fighting from M17 he should be able to put up decent numbers like he did last July.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

In the NHK Sumo Preview, both Murray Johnson and Hiro Morita predicted that this would be Takayasu's yusho breakthrough.  After two days, I don't think their prediction will come true.

Instead of "yusho breakthrough", he will probably makekoshi or withdraw in the middle. 

I'm surprised there was no discussion yet of Kotoeko-Seiro from day 2: no mono-ii, though the NHK replay showed that Seiro was still on the tawara bales as attacker Kotoeko's arm touched down. New in as top shimpan Sakaigawa is on the same level as Yamashina.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Takayasu went in way too low on Ichinojo, and just handed Ichinojo the back of his neck: down he went!  Two losses in two days.  

In the NHK Sumo Preview, both Murray Johnson and Hiro Morita predicted that this would be Takayasu's yusho breakthrough.  After two days, I don't think their prediction will come true.  I am starting to think that Takayasu is dependent on a healthy Kisenosato (sparring partner & stablemate) in terms of pre-tournament training.  With Kise still injured, Takayasu can't seem to get his groove back.  #OzekiNotBeingOzeki

Predicting who will do well or poorly has been a futile endeavor for experts and forum members alike.   Sumo matches are unpredictable to begin with and  the Injuries, known or hidden, make it almost impossible.    That makes it fun to watch. 

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

Ikioi was really wincing hard after that one...I'm putting my money on KK as fast as possible kyujo rest of the basho

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

I'm surprised there was no discussion yet of Kotoeko-Seiro from day 2: no mono-ii, though the NHK replay showed that Seiro was still on the tawara bales as attacker Kotoeko's arm touched down. New in as top shimpan Sakaigawa is on the same level as Yamashina.

Yeah the replay made that look like a really bad call, especially with the shimpan right there. Very surprising

Also it seems Terunofuji is on a winning streak today, though that win still looked deeply unconvincing...

Terunofuji still seems weak but his knees seem great.  Nice win for Terutsuyoshi over Takanoiwa. Takanoiwa seems fine physically but that match shows he's a bit rusty.

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Predicting who will do well or poorly has been a futile endeavor for experts and forum members alike.   Sumo matches are unpredictable to begin with and  the Injuries, known or hidden, make it almost impossible.    That makes it fun to watch. 

You should be playing the sumo games! ;)

Ichinojo has been a rock, literally, in his 1st 3 matches.  He's too big to be moved and he seems to have stamina & patience to wait his opponent to tire out.   Is this his basho?   As much as I like Mitakeumi, Ichinojo will likely beat him in day 4.   There's my prediction ;-).

Edited by robnplunder
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rocks said:

Terunofuji still seems weak but his knees seem great. 

Terunofuji's loss of strength is probably doing his knees a big favour.

---

Disappointed by Mitakeumi's loss against Endo today. I have more faith in latter getting his KK at M1 than the former starting an ozeki run this basho.

Ichinojo looking like kisenosato of a year ago(the velvet Yokozuna) just calmly walking opponents out. Enho got his first Juro win. What's happened to hokotofuji ? See him shaking his head as he walks back. Kagayaki picking up wins with mixed technique, I'm watching this boy.  Gonna be really bunched up in the second week. 

On 12/03/2018 at 17:10, Irakusamaru said:

Arawashi's break-fall there was even better in slo-mo - you could see the moment he realised he'd lost grip of the arm and was about to face plant and just bailed.

(Watching Kotoyuki roll off the dohyo is easily one of the most satisfying things to watch on any given day. Nothing against him, he just rolls so well.)

I have got a bit side tracked this basho with watching the guys roll when the hit the floor. Ryuden was the most graceful today

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Thanks for posting the link to the Kotoeko v. Seiro bout (琴恵光-青狼/2017.7.11(38)/kotoeko-seiro/day3 #sumo), but the video does not seem to show what you describe.  Kotoeiko stays very much on his feet.  Were you thinking of a different bout perhaps?

26 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Thanks for posting the link to the Kotoeko v. Seiro bout (琴恵光-青狼/2017.7.11(38)/kotoeko-seiro/day3 #sumo), but the video does not seem to show what you describe.  Kotoeiko stays very much on his feet.  Were you thinking of a different bout perhaps?

sorry, the video search showed that first and the one from today 2nd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-UeT2d9aw8

I wanted Mitakeumi to take that match, but something in my gut told me it would go to Endo. Still, I would really like to see Mitakeumi put up at least ten wins. Guess we'll just have to see...

Is something wrong with Chiyoshouma? I mean, he's generally posted mediocre numbers, but at least his technical skill was on display. Where is it now?

Relieved Takayasu got a win, but he's going to have to tighten up. He can't go on like this.

27 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

sorry, the video search showed that first and the one from today 2nd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-UeT2d9aw8

Sure looks like Serio got a raw deal there. 1st I've seen it. Serio stares the shimpan down for quite a bit too waiting to see if he does anything.

15 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

And didn't John predict Goeidou 14-1 on the broadcast? Even after I told him how Goeidou's power up move works? B-)

Quite a miracle for Ikioi to be 3-0 because the only thing con-wincing for him are the sympathetic spectators.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

A monoii was probably called for, but even though the result was quite close, I believe Seiro's heel drops out first...

The detailed slo-mo on NHK showed that his heel was in till after Kotoeko touched down  - the stream VOD is no longer available and I found no video, but it was clear, and the NHK guy was (invisibly) shaking his head about it

• Like 1

Has anyone seen, if masutoo was so upset, because he thought he had won? An Oyakata had to intervene to make him bow before entering the hanamichi....