Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Natsu jungyo 2018

In that yokozuna bout, is it just me, or did it look like Kisenosato was in trouble and Kakuryu allowed him to recover, as if to give a good show for the local crowd? If these regional bouts don't really "count", then why not?

24 minutes ago, Rigel said:

In that yokozuna bout, is it just me, or did it look like Kisenosato was in trouble and Kakuryu allowed him to recover, as if to give a good show for the local crowd? If these regional bouts don't really "count", then why not?

Most non-training jungyo matches are staged exhibitions for the fans, usually with a predetermined outcome.  Real matches tend to produce injuries.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Asojima said:

Most non-training jungyo matches are staged exhibitions for the fans, usually with a predetermined outcome.  Real matches tend to produce injuries.

I'm curious as to why a rikishi must go all out in training bouts to avoid injury (as is often said), but must stage matches for a crowd on regional tours to avoid injuries. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

I'm curious as to why a rikishi must go all out in training bouts to avoid injury (as is often said), but must stage matches for a crowd on regional tours to avoid injuries. 

Looking at it from another perspective, most injuries happen during training, at the jungyo almost exclusively there, and many rikishi have already too many injuries to train on the dohyo at the jungyo. But they may be fit enough to take part in the bouts there, because hardly anybody goes all out - Goeido, Kakuryu, at first Kise ...

The tour is on the way to Akita (this time by train, not by bus) and has the 3rd one-day break

20180820ak0025_02_l.jpg

dohyo preparations in Akita https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ2F76cZWaI

20180820ak0025_01_s.jpgo

Sapporo digest from the local paper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t92IQEc_AM

NHK local news page with combined video of the 2 Hokkaido locations already aired - only the flowers for the local oyakata were added in the 1st part https://www3.nhk.or.jp/sapporo-news/20180820/0002416.html

this same video on YT, bad quality filmed off a TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t92IQEc_AM

The NSK today also posted combined from the 2 Hokkaido locations

Obihiro

the flowers for the 2 Tokaichi yokozuna

DlCZAHTU4AAo3A4.jpg:thumbo DlCZBTSU4AALFg4.jpg:thumbo

DlCYP1LUcAEc1JG.jpg:thumbo DlCYEk-UUAA3eYZ.jpg:thumbo DlCXzqcUUAE7Abl.jpg:thumbo DlCXqz2VAAAOyt-.jpg:thumbo DlCXK8_VsAAI8As.jpg:thumbo DlCWYL4UYAArml-.jpg:thumbo DlCWY_GVsAI3uAs.jpg:thumbo

Sapporo

another local ex-yokozuna was there to watch - Kitanofuji, same hometown as Kyokutaisei

DlCbg3uV4AAKnOv.jpg:thumbo

DlCbCeMVAAInBmm.jpg:thumbo DlCa7LhV4AAHcc_.jpg:thumbo

DlCax1bU8AYJRGJ.jpg:thumbo DlCarpEUUAAkcru.jpg:thumbo DlCahPsVsAAaLMw.jpg:thumbo DlCaK3lVAAAkdro.jpg:thumbo

the papers

Obihiro - now settled as with about 2600 spectators

201882013628_sum240.jpgo

bouts by Kyokutaisei and Yago

20180820-OYTNI50091-L.jpgo

Sapporo is now given as with about 4670 spectators o

Kyokutaisei 1-6 with Takayasu at sanban-geiko

20180819-OHT1I50203-N.jpgo 

Ichinojo is on a diet attempt to get rid of 15kg

20180819s00005000366000p_thum.jpgo 

Shodai breaks the pattern - his summer dream is his portable electric fan "HAND FAN" - "Without it I hadn't made it through the jungyo this far"

201808200000354-w200_0.jpgo 

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Those "cute" "hand-drawn" kanji on the dreams thing really freak me out.  I suppose that's probably closer to how things get written in haste than printed characters, but in this case it's quite jarring seeing two sun kanji next to each other that look extremely different (the "Sunday" one looks more like a theta than what it's supposed to be).  Why do they not have the same style for the kanji used for the date as for the notation for day of the week?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Those "cute" "hand-drawn" kanji on the dreams thing really freak me out.  I suppose that's probably closer to how things get written in haste than printed characters, but in this case it's quite jarring seeing two sun kanji next to each other that look extremely different (the "Sunday" one looks more like a theta than what it's supposed to be).  Why do they not have the same style for the kanji used for the date as for the notation for day of the week?

It's because the handwriting is supposed to be filling in a form, with the empty form looking like _月_日(_)

Edited by Kamitsuumi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Takanohana Oyakata collapsed this morning in Akita and was rushed to a hospital. He was advising some young rikishi during keiko when he suddenly lost consciousness and collapsed, with convulsions. The ambulance arrived after 15 minutes and by then he had regained consciousness. At the hospital, he was seen talking to officials. "We cannot comment on this subject," said the PR people from the jungyo. It was hot at the venue and someone said it was probably heatstroke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Takanohana Oyakata collapsed this morning in Akita and was rushed to a hospital. He was advising some young rikishi during keiko when he suddenly lost consciousness and collapsed, with convulsions. The ambulance arrived after 15 minutes and by then he had regained consciousness. At the hospital, he was seen talking to officials. "We cannot comment on this subject," said the PR people from the jungyo. It was hot at the venue and someone said it was probably heatstroke.

Overheating+overwork? Let's hope it's nothing serious.

Day 21 Akita - Takekaze at home - with about 3000 spectators

s.jpg 20180821-OHT1I50163-N.jpgo 20180821-OHT1I50015-N.jpgo 20180821ak0044_02_s.jpgo

20180821ak0044_01_s.jpgo

Hakuho for the first time trained on the doyho  - 4-0 with Ishiura

20180821s00005000234000p_thum.jpgo

NSK

locals

DlHJqA0UUAAtF1s.jpg:thumbo DlHDF6RU0AAREtB.jpg:thumboDlHDPJpVsAAmAUL.jpg:thumboDlGTCoHVsAEg9Aq.jpg:thumbo

DlGPGSHUcAEmTFH.jpg:thumbo DlGPHL7U8AEwbdf.jpg:thumbo

DlGmkgsVsAIama9.jpg:thumbo DlGmlabVAAUgxys.jpg:thumbo

DlGmTvXVsAArZar.jpg:thumbo DlGmU2dVAAAFu4a.jpg:thumbo

DlGmNM3U0AAyoMi.jpg:thumbo DlGmGPIUwAAP5nQ.jpg:thumbo

Yutakayama in Niigata

20180821-OYTNI50064-N.jpgo

Komatsu - yokozuna in full attire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9ZRvASID2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MfiKKlWPuY

Interview with Wakatakakage at the Aoyama Gakuin basho https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c__WAQp7PA

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Takanohana has left the hospital and was spotted at the JR train station. "I just got out of the hospital, so please.." he said to the reporters who asked him questions. Before that, Shibatayama PR manager said Takanohana was hospitalized and that no details were known  to him regarding the nature of his illness. In any case, Takanohana will probably miss the rest of the jungyo.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 2

Kisenosato took things into his own hands today, calling out Mitakeumi during the morning keiko session. 14 bouts, 11-3. (No need to remind you, Mitakeumi trains etc..). A lot of getting his favorite  left hand grip, pushing away, pulling in - in short, a variety of techniques. Then some butsugari with Tochinoshin -  a full day of work. "It was extremely good keiko. I'm moving mostly well and have added more power. I think I'm advancing favorably, and will be doing my best for the remainder of the jungyo," he said. 

201808220000559-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Day 22 Tachikawa, Tokyo  - about 4000 spectators

the papers all about Kise with the one who loses big in keiko and wins big at the basho - 4 wins after 7-3 at first

20180822-OHT1I50079-N.jpgoorigin_1.jpgo20180822s00005000251000p_thum.jpgo4.jpgo201808220000559-w200_0.jpgo 201808220000559-w200_1.jpgo

NSK

the local - Ishida from Onoe

DlMEWpPU8AAgOO0.jpg:thumbo

DlMEH-MU0AAoRW5.jpg:thumbo DlMD74HU0AAHsGe.jpg:thumbo DlMD8wOU8AErYbQ.jpg:thumbo DlMDyQfU8AAw1M8.jpg:thumbo DlMDzWeU8AAKMrz.jpg:thumbo DlMB9-YUYAATWZd.jpg:thumbo DlMB3hEV4AAtEf2.jpg:thumbo DlMBuLRVsAAyrgw.jpg:thumbo DlMA4qPUYAAd8p3.jpg:thumbo DlMA5VVUwAALbZC.jpg:thumbo

dohyo-iri: makushita and Kakuryu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SIX2MhjuLQ

Akita

20180822s00001002085000p_thum.jpgo201808220000177-w200_0.jpgo

Kise, the former baseball boy, writing a support message for Takekaze's local high school, which finished Koshien runner up

b_11566078.jpgo

Hakuho first (and last?) time at training on the doyho, with his uchi-deshi

20180822-OHT1I50001-N.jpgo

Kakuryu also had restarted training, overwhelming Shodai and Yutakayama in more than 10 bouts. Kisenosato was 13-0 against Sadanoumi. http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2018/08/22/kiji/20180821s00005000343000c.html

Ikioi interviewed about his fiancee, who had been introduced at the British Open with "her fiancee is a sumo wrestler" - in the summer heat, the hottest athlete couple right now

b_11564773.jpgo

now a gyoji to give a drawn comment about the summer -  no.4 sanyaku-kaku Kimura Shotaro is apparently a Nikkan (yearly) regular  - he hates both the rain and the heat, as a danger to his gyoji attire - and not surprising for a gyoji, he can really draw (hobby in school: manga drawing)

201808220000403-w200_0.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

DlMEH-MU0AAoRW5.jpg:thumb

Good to see Giku back in the mix, and looking more elegant and graceful than ever :-P

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

now a gyoji to give a drawn comment about the summer -  no.4 sanyaku-kaku Kimura Shotaro is apparently a Nikkan (yearly) regular  - he hates both the rain and the heat, as a danger to his gyoji attire - and not surprising for a gyoji, he can really draw (hobby in school: manga drawing)

How is the heat a danger to gyoji attire... sweat?

Day 23 Mishima, Shizuoka

Kise 9-1 with Yutakayama

20180823-OHT1I50054-N.jpgo

Kakuryu 9-0 with Endo

20180823-OHT1I50098-N.jpgo

when Endo fell off the dohyo, Nishikigi took care of him: wiped off sweat and sand with Endo's Nagatanien towel and then folded it

20180823-OHT1I50120-N.jpgo 

Taka followed the rules and handed in the medical certificate for his own kyujo for the rest of the jungyo - but the NSK did not make it public this time - protection of his privacy. The certificate was issued by the Akita hospital he was brought to initially. He told the NSK he'll have another detailed MRI examination at a hospital in Tokyo http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20180823-OHT1T50142.html

NSK

DlRdyt2U0AAw2T5.jpg:thumbo DlRdz5jUYAE53Jy.jpg:thumbo DlRdt3oUUAAiYS6.jpg:thumbo DlRdUSIU8AAJQlA.jpg:thumbo DlRdU_jV4AA25Ek.jpg:thumbo DlRdHzZUYAUzq0W.jpg:thumbo DlRdBwiU0AANTjT.jpg:thumbo DlRc7UQU8AE37td.jpg:thumbo DlRcLF-VsAAFcJS.jpg:thumbo DlRb1lFU8AAKN74.jpg:thumbo DlRbSh5UcAEWFl-.jpg:thumbo

Tachikawa

still only Kise with Mitakeumi in the papers

20180822s00005000544000p_thum.jpgo 201808230000212-w200_0.jpgo 20180822-OHT1I50200-N.jpgo

doyho-iri

Kise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz6XRRtorKQ

0180829bo01_t.jpgo

Hakuho https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8YIZCnmdhE

Ryugasaki

Shohozan-Tamawashi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy5sbeEVW20

Ikioi-Kaisei https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xUTf6wJinI

sanyaku soroibumi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P2cEuzf6VI

the happy Ikioi at some jungyo location

20180823s00005000160000p_thum.jpgo

back to normal summer dreams - and anything else from Churanoumi than the beautiful sea of Okinawa would betray his shikona

201808230000330-w200_0.jpgo

On 8/23/2018 at 10:31, orandashoho said:

How is the heat a danger to gyoji attire... sweat?

the article didn't go into detail - he only expressed his hate for both heat and rain - Nikkan connected it to the attire

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Kadoban Ozeki Tochinoshin has yet to have any training bouts, but has been doing stuff daily, like letting himself get pushed to the edge, holding his ground and pushing back. Today was no different. "I still can't do any bouts but till the banzuke will be published (August 27th and after the jungyo..) I plan to  forge my body so i may do some serious keiko.." he explained. "The pain has mostly subsided but I'm still scared..All I can do is chase the fear away with keiko. For starters, I'm aiming for a kachikoshi. I can't keep complaining about the pain all the time. I'm kadoban. Compared to before the jungyo my foot is much stronger. I wish to gambarize!!" he added.

201808240000602-w500_0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Hakuhou is not doing any sumo and it doesn't look to me (to me..) like he will be entering Aki. Left ankle injury now. He did not show up for keiko this morning, and will decide if he will show up tomorrow in the morning. The ankle is swollen and he can't bend it. "I've been feeling some uneasiness these last two days. I thought it was OK, but.. I think water has built up there and it's not good, " he explained. Add the right knee injury and toe problems and waiwaiwai.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Hakuhou is not doing any sumo and it doesn't look to me (to me..) like he will be entering Aki. Left ankle injury now. He did not show up for keiko this morning, and will decide if he will show up tomorrow in the morning. The ankle is swollen and he can't bend it. "I've been feeling some uneasiness these last two days. I thought it was OK, but.. I think water has built up there and it's not good, " he explained. Add the right knee injury and toe problems and waiwaiwai.

At this time, my gut feel is that Goeido will be the only Y/O who steps on the dohyo for days 13-15 of Aki (and he is a bit questionable).  :-(

Edited by Asojima

Day 24 Odawara

Tochinoshin lent his chest to Onosho for butsukari-geiko

201808240000602-w200_0.jpgo s.jpg 0180824at46_t.jpgo

Hakuho left to head for the hospital to get checked and check if he'll go on with the jungyo

96958A9E81818A99E7E2E5E2E18DE0E6E2EAE0E2E3EAE2E2E2E2E2E2-DSXMZO3456315024082018I00001-PN1-2.jpg o f7fabffd724875e119dd7ab9088e39fb-233x300.jpgo

Kakuryu was 11-0 with Shodai, Kise did just the basics

NSK

Goedo lent his chest to Takanosho and apparently also has not done any keiko bouts so far at the jungyo

DlWkxymUUAEzKsJ.jpg:thumbo DlWk1TcV4AA2VnZ.jpg:thumboDlWk2RcWsAAhtXP.jpg:thumbo

DlWkhInU0AARbKH.jpg:thumbo DlWkmCuVAAIbdqQ.jpg:thumbo DlWkPxQVsAIF3Ch.jpg:thumbo DlWjMrQUwAAvq6S.jpg:thumbo

DlWi-r0UYAAnoK7.jpg:thumbo DlWi4ByUcAAX2J0.jpg:thumbo DlWhMcgUYAANO6B.jpg:thumbo

DlWg5ZeXsAAIpQf.jpg:thumbo DlWJjaGU8AUHtF3.jpg:thumbo

Mishima had only about 1600 spectators

001_size3.jpgo

Onosho distributed police information for fraud prevention

002_size3.jpgo

Yutakayama was apparently too much for Kise to go on with keiko bouts

201808240000179-w200_0.jpgo

Akita

it really was the only keiko on the dohyo for Hakuho

s.jpg

Takekaze since Hokkaido with the kesho mawashi of his high school

s.jpg s.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hakuhou has withdrawn from the jungyo again two days from the end and has gone to a Tokyo hospital for check-ups on his new injury, the left ankle. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Asojima said:

At this time, my gut feel is that Goeido will be the only Y/O who steps on the dohyo for days 13-15 of Aki (and he is a bit questionable).  :-(

My guess- Kakuryuu, Kisenosato and all three Ozeki will be there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

My guess- Kakuryuu, Kisenosato and all three Ozeki will be there.

Kisenosato still in on days 13-15. I hope so but don't see it.

1 hour ago, The Fat Cyclist said:

Kisenosato still in on days 13-15. I hope so but don't see it.

We shall see..

• Like 1

Kisenosato is optimistic. He did not do any sumo today, just the fundamentals. "My power is back. If I can continue this for the remaining two weeks till the start of the basho, I think things may get interesting.. I've been doing training bouts with the feeling that I cannot afford to lose and will be doing my utmost in order to face day 1  in my best condition!" he declared. He has been training with Mitakeumi and Yutakayama mostly.

Mitakeumi is training "at his own pace", on an Ozeki run this basho. "Nothing special. I'm just going about things as usual.." he said. 

Hakuhou? It seems news of his leaving the jungyo were premature. He was there today, left ankle taped up, did some shiko and teppole and even did the dohyo-iri. "I'm not in perfect shape but I'm feeling a wee bit more comfortable," he said. Tomorrow is the last day of the jungyo, and it will be held in Tokyo. 

Kisenosato does the dohyo-iri:

sum18082516590003-p1.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2