Kaninoyama

Osunaarashi scandal

18 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Touki killed a woman. I know, it's been mentioned, but all he got was demoted and suspended.

Of course, he ultimately was found to have borne no significant fault for the collision by the prosecutor, because the deceased had ignored a red light. If he'd been guilty of vehicular manslaughter (or whatever the Japanese equivalent is), his career would have been toast.

And the driving ban became an actual ban with the threat of punishment only afterwards, instead of just a thing that was expected but not really enforced.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

expected but not really enforced.

That describes at least half of the sport.

The rijikai will convene tomorrow to decide on Oosunaarashi's punishment for driving a car and doing so without a valid license, causing an accident.  7 punishment options, from the light to the heavy: Reprimand, salary reduction, suspension of entry, suspension of duties, demotion, advice to retire, and dismissal. 

• Thanks 2

Verdict- advice to retire. He will retire, press conference and all,  probably.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 10

Huge shame. I loved seeing him, he was a crowd favorite, and I know people on this forum liked him a lot. It seems so severe to force him to resign, but then it was an incredibly bad move on his part to lie...I'm sure he would have weathered this storm easily if only he hadn't lied.

• Sad 1

"He lied three times in his testimony and we can't have that," said Kagamiyama Oyakata regarding the punishment. Oosunaarashi will accept the "advice to retire"  "He will accept the punishment. I tried to teach him very loudly but I guess it didn't resonate.. He said 'Yes, I understand'. His plan was to come from Egypt and become a Yokozuna so he is dejected.." said Ootake Oyakata.. Oosunaarashi will receive a 30% cut in his severance pay as well. "I am worried about his house arrest since the story broke. I will accept any punishment," said his father. He says Oosunaarashi's wife told him that the Oyakata took his cellphone and that he was not allowed to have any contact with the outside world. "He hasn't been able to train and has just been waiting for this ordeal to end. I don't know if he intends to return to Egypt. He is very determined and he may try to fight back," said his father on the phone from Egypt.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 5

Statement from the man himself.  I get the gist of it, but my Japanese is not good enough for translation in these parts, so assistance appreciated.

• Thanks 2

To everyone:

Thank you for your continuing support.  As you probably know, I have retired from sumo. I would like to use this opportunity to apologize to everyone for causing them worry and trouble. Starting with Ootake Oyakata, I would like to thank all the people of the heya and the support group - you have really been supportive. Thank you. I still love sumo. Sumo is really a great sport. All fans, please continue watching and supporting sumo.

Thank you very much.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 9
  • Sad 3

Can't say I ever was a fan of the Sandstorm, but this is a really sad ending to his career. Doesn't feel like he deserved to be kicked out.

I wasn’t expecting him to be “kicked out”. There’s a climate of intolerance these days, I guess?

5 minutes ago, ALAKTORN said:

I wasn’t expecting him to be “kicked out”. There’s a climate of intolerance these days, I guess?

It was the blatant lying . Makes the Kyokai look bad. Unforgivable. I'm pretty sure if he had been a'truthin', it wouldn't have resulted in this. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It's nice to see that sumo is cleaning up its act. Oosunaarashi, a juryo rikishi, gets in a minor accident and lies about who is driving and as a result he is forced to retire.

Shikimori Inosuke, the head gyoji sexually assaults a minor and he is given a three basho suspension. Oh, and Inosuke almost certainly lied about it as well, conveniently claiming that "I don't remember a thing - I was drunk." And I'm sure the part about "I am not interested in men" is a lie as well, because men who aren't interested in men don't sexually assault them when they become drunk. 

Good to see that sumo has its priorities straight. Again. This sport is never truly going to be cleaned up as long as the oyakata run things. 

• Like 5

This is really sad. He never had much luck, this lad.

If you are reading, I wish you all the best. Thanks for some awesome sumo. In your prime, you were truly something to behold.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

This is really sad. He never had much luck, this lad.

If you are reading, I wish you all the best. Thanks for some awesome sumo. In your prime, you were truly something to behold.

I would totally agree.  He was great to watch, very interesting. But he never caught a break. 

Sad that his career has ended this way, but if he has been caught lying in this way, this course of action was probably inevitable.

Swami

Complete admiration for Osunaarashi's career. A teenage weightlifter in Egypt decides he wants to become a sumo wrestler: that sounds like the plot for a situation comedy. Only Osunaarashi made it happen: he visited Japan, got accepted by a heya, and rocketed up the ranks with a record of 42-6-1 before he entered juryo. (Not counting his Mae-zumo results.) He won yusho in Jonokuchi, Makushita, and Juryo (although the Juryo yusho was obtained after he reentered the rank due to injury).

He had one of the best upper bodies in sumo. His style wasn't particularly fluid at the tachi-ai, although I'm sure that would have continued to improve over the course of his career; however he was strong and fought like a lion. Unfortunately, contesting all matches to the bitter end often leads to injury, and so it was for Osunaarashi. 

His most noteworthy result was either Nagoya 2014, where he won 2 kinboshi and finished 7-8 at M3w, or Aki 2015 where he went kk at M2e (four of the 7 losses were to ozeki, one to a yokozuna). That's still a higher rank than Endo has ever gone kk from, for point of reference.  His most admirable result, however, may have been in his last full basho, Nagoya 2017, where at 13Je and facing demotion to the unpaid ranks, a significantly injured Osunaarashi fought to a 9-6 record.

I heard one of his early press conferences, where he answered much of the foreign press in English. He was was well spoken and witty. I wish him good luck in his post sumo career.

Edited by ScreechingOwl
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

He was an injured mess recently regardless.  As John said, this just means he gets to start the rest of his life sooner.  He'd probably have toiled in Makushita trying to get back to Juryo with half an ACL and wasted years of his life.  Wikipedia says he was studying for accountancy before entering Ozumo; being an accountant myself, I find it an interesting contrast to sumo.  Will he continue back on that path, or stay in athletics?

On 3/10/2018 at 02:47, ScreechingOwl said:

Shikimori Inosuke, the head gyoji sexually assaults a minor and he is given a three basho suspension.

No, he was kicked out. The three basho suspension is a technical thing. He will be officially retired after the suspension.

Oosunaarashi, a juryo rikishi, gets in a minor accident and lies about who is driving and as a result he is forced to retire.

Police involved. That is the difference. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2018 at 00:47, ScreechingOwl said:

Oosunaarashi, a juryo rikishi, gets in a minor accident and lies about who is driving and as a result he is forced to retire.

Lying to the police about it is a whole criminal offence in itself in most jurisdictions - perverting the course of justice.  A few years ago in the UK a politician and his wife went to jail for lying about who was driving a car on a fairly minor speeding ticket.  It's actually quite a big deal.  Oosunaarashi is lucky he didn't end up being prosecuted or having his visa revoked over that alone.  Don't forget that rikishi are held to high morality, so it is unacceptable in a public role model.  

Ootake Oyakata gets a 10% salary reduction for two  months for his responsibility as an Oyakata in Oosunaarashi's driving and subsequent retirement affair.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 2