Kaninoyama

Osunaarashi scandal

56 minutes ago, Burajirotono said:

"Paternalistic"... That´s a precise word...Fat people can drive normaly, just looks at United States roads...

... and in the U.S. there are car models that have more or less distance from the seat to the steering wheel (or a long range for seat adjustment).  Is it possible that in Japan they produce domestic models on the assumption that there aren't enough "wide-bodied foreigners" (or tall people) to make it worth the production costs?

5 hours ago, Burajirotono said:

"Paternalistic"... That´s a precise word...Fat people can drive normaly, just looks at United States roads...

Fat jokes on a sumo forum are a little...ironic.

1 hour ago, Burajirotono said:

That reminds me, wouldn't "fatbuu" be a great and (at least in English) descriptive shikona?

• Haha 1

I just noticed this, but Osunaarashi is the only rikishi to also have an account on the SumoForum.

@boody_sumo

Edited by PawnSums
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PawnSums said:

I just noticed this, but Osunaarashi is the only rikishi to also have an account on the SumoForum.

@boody_sumo

A mod should probably edit out the personal information Osunaarashi posted there, even if it is out of date...

13 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

A mod should probably edit out the personal information Osunaarashi posted there, even if it is out of date...

Why?

57 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Why?

I assumed for privacy reasons it would not be a good idea for someone's phone number and e-mail address to be publicly available.

1 hour ago, ryafuji said:

I assumed for privacy reasons it would not be a good idea for someone's phone number and e-mail address to be publicly available.

It's up to the person who put it there, don't you think?

58 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

It's up to the person who put it there, don't you think?

If you're happy with that then fine. Some sites have stricter rules about that sort of thing. I just wanted to check.

Edited by ryafuji

The story of this month so far

3rd: the accident in Yamanouchi town, Nagano

21st: the story surfaced, he told: "I didn't drive, my wife did."

22nd: the Nagano police moved towards filing charges, his lawyer told the story that the wife was the driver - kyujo

23rd: he admitted that he was the driver, and a surveillance camera showed it.

He also told at first that he had an international drivers licence, but apparently he had only an Egyptian one - not valid any-more anyway. To the NSK he had told the lie that he wanted to protect his pregnant wife with the first lie, which was a double lie.

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2018/01/31/kiji/20180130s00005000285000c.html

The car with Osunaarashi on the way to get questioned by the Nagano police. They announced they will examine the case thoroughly - so the couple may spend many full days with them  - which languages does she speak?.

b_10943344.jpgo

• Like 3

One thing being not mentioned is that while Oosanuarashi might just get away with a small fine or out-of-court settlement, and thus he could be spared a deportation, Immigration Bureau might deny him visa renewal based on this law infringement upon his next visa renewal application, if indeed he is not a permanent residency holder.   

I am surprised how little Japanese he speaks and he has learned. A bit lazy, probably. 

Anyhow, I hope he could somehow survive in the sumo, then he could use his demotion as an opportunity to heal up and then rejuvenated and healthy to attack higher divisions .

Osunaarashi had been questioned by crisis committee 3 times already and "He keeps changing the excuses and it's hard to believe anything from him right now with that many doubtful issues", Kagamiyama declared yesterday: towards the NSK Osunaarashi still claims he hasn't driven without license and only admitted that he failed to report the accident. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201802010000836.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

I hate to say it but this sounds like a guy who wants to leave sumo. 

On 2/2/2018 at 14:02, Akinomaki said:

Osunaarashi had been questioned by crisis committee 3 times already and "He keeps changing the excuses and it's hard to believe anything from him right now with that many doubtful issues"

As the old joke goes, 'denial ain't just a river in Egypt'.

I'll get my coat...

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Today the Nagano police sent the documents to the prosecutor, who now starts the investigation to decide on the charges against Osunaarashi. http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/20180207-OYT1T50126.html

Otake-oyakata wants to wait for the NSK punishment - he phoned Osunaarashi yesterday, but got no word from him on the matter. http://www3.nhk.or.jp/lnews/nagano/20180207/1010001960.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Nagano Prefecture police are now saying Oosunaarashi was driving without a license a day before the accident as well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

I vividly remember the excitement Oosunaarashi brought back in 2014 (Nagoya?) when he faced and defeated both Kakuryu and Harumafuji back to back. Very first time facing either Yokozuna and he got consecutive kinboshi.

Hakuho then restored order by beating him, but it was a lengthy bout and Hakuho clearly took his time with the Egyptian bruiser. Soon after that Oosunaarashi began to be plagued by injuries and we all know the rest. 

Sad to see his sumo career coming to such an ignominious end.

My distance memory tells me that Kyukutenho was involved in a more serious accident and got away with a minor disciplinary action.

Kyokutenho got suspended for one basho, which dropped him to Juryo, from which he immediately got promoted back to Makuuchi, but it has cut an otherwise record number of consecutive Makuuchi bouts in half.
He had been driving, but was he driving without a license?

Edited by orandashoho
typo