Kintamayama

New scandal-Kasugano Oyakata neglects to report ..

A Kasugano beya rikishi (23) beat up on another rikishi(22) and was sentenced to three years in prison and 4 years suspended sentence, back in June 2016. Kasugano Oyakata did not tell anyone about it. He just became riji in January of that year. "Well, he was retired then.. so.." explained the Oyakata. Except that the attack itself happened when he was active and under Kasugano's care.. This is definitely going to be an issue and will certainly reflect on the coming elections, says the reporter. The Kyokai acknowledges they heard about it, but do not know the exact details, they say. The younger rikishi had his jaw broken and lost his sense of taste and retired. "I'm pretty sure there is a lot of violence between the lower rankers. The Kyokai knows this and they have to bring it out in the open," said the victim. "It was wrong of me to hit him. It's my personal bad and it is not the heya's fault. I was never ordered to not talk about this," said the assailant. He entered sumo in 2013 and retired in after July 2015 and is from Fukuoka. He attacked the younger rikishi (who entered sumo 7 months prior to the attack) on the night of September 5th, 2014. He punched him in the face and kicked him in the stomach after telling him that he was not happy with his cleaning of the heya. The diagnosis was a year and a half to recuperate. He then went to the police in October  2014 to file charges. The attacker was found guilty in June of 2016.  Kasugano oyakata was charged with negligence as he did not take  steps to provide the victim with the  necessary medical treatment and as the caretaker, it was his responsibility to protect him . The charges against Kasugano were dropped later. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 2

How does a rikishi end up in jail and no one heard of it? 

Just now, Rocks said:

Because he wasn't active anymore. And probably low-ranking, so not famous enough to draw attention.

Not the first time Kasugano has been in trouble. He was reprimanded back in 2011 for beating Tochinoshin and two other rikishi with a golf club for the crime of going out without wearing kimonos.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/more-sports/sumo-coach-beat-wrestlers-with-club/news-story/12c8581d1f0a30b8595b7cded1ed8b5e

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

He attacked the younger rikishi (who entered sumo 7 months prior to the attack) on the night of September 5th, 2014. He punched him in the face and kicked him in the stomach after telling him that he was not happy with his cleaning of the heya.

The assailant was just one year older than the victim, and just 7 rank higher in... Jonidan! Is there really such a strong hierarchy even in lower levels?

Edited by serge_gva

42 minutes ago, serge_gva said:

The assailant was just one year older than the victim, and just 7 rank higher in... Jonidan! Is there really such a strong hierarchy even in lower levels?

Maybe, but there are short tempered violent people everywhere.

1 hour ago, serge_gva said:

Perhaps not per se, but I can easily imagine someone getting chippy about it and 'pulling rank' on juniors if they have been languishing within the rank for a long time with little prospect of promotion, i.e. making use of the short time they're ahead of the newbies to abuse their authority before they're quickly overtaken.    

1 hour ago, serge_gva said:

47 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Maybe, but there are short tempered violent people everywhere.

True of course, but given the fact that the assailant was 172 cm and 75 kg while the victim was 190 cm and 123 kg hierarchy may well played a role (assuming that the victim was in a position to defend himself).

26 minutes ago, Flohru said:

True of course, but given the fact that the assailant was 172 cm and 75 kg while the victim was 190 cm and 123 kg hierarchy may well played a role (assuming that the victim was in a position to defend himself).

Sounds more like jealousy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Katooshu said:

I'm guessing the assilant is Tochigenbu

And the victim Yahagi

Based on the info from the article, and the Sumo DB, I think you're right.  The ages of the rikishi must be their current ages.

4 hours ago, Rocks said:

I suspect that's basically always the case when one of these things happens and nobody involved or in the know decides to contact the tabloids about it.

45 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

I suspect that's basically always the case when one of these things happens and nobody involved or in the know decides to contact the tabloids about it.

I put that up before Moti's edit. I thought that even the oyakatas didn't know. I'll bet there is a lot that never makes the papers too.

This is getting ridiculous.

And why is this coming out now of all times?

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

-- One more scandal and I'll change to the Takanohana side

If the scandal comes out of Takanohana?

5 minutes ago, ALAKTORN said:

And why is this coming out now of all times?

Because there is a power struggle going on in the NSK, and participants are leaking tidbits to the tabloids.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rhyen said:

If the scandal comes out of Takanohana?

all scandals come out of Takanohana (except Osunaarashi)  - his secret is to be not the one to get blamed for starting them

1 hour ago, Asojima said:

Because there is a power struggle going on in the NSK, and participants are leaking tidbits to the tabloids.

I'm sure there are enough skeletons in the cupboards of the others on the lists of the Takanohana camp to give us a new scandal every week till the riji-cho elections. But I think it may take many years till  scandals from within Taka's side will get revealed. He is much better than the others at hiding things.

Edited by Akinomaki

55 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

all scandals come out of Takanohana (except Osunaarashi)  - his secret is to be not the one to get blamed for starting them

I knew you'd say that. Come on, how do you know Takanohana is involved in the Kasugano story other than  a wild guess? Not one of the papers even is hinting. Oh wait.. your tabloids..

2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

I honestly don't follow at all. Can you please tell me how you can trace this back to Takanohana in any way? I see no connection whatsoever. 

14 hours ago, Rocks said:

Because he didn't end up in jail. The three year sentence suspended four years means that he was and is free. He would only have to serve the time if he committed a crime during the four year period the sentence was suspended. If he keeps his nose clean for those four years, he will avoid doing any jail time.

Edited by Otokonoyama
  • Like 2

On 1/24/2018 at 14:32, Kintamayama said:

Kasugano Oyakata did not tell anyone about it.

Kasugano tells that he reported it at the time (within a week) to the riji-cho (Kitanoumi) and the head of crisis management: Takanohana. https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180125-00000016-jct-ent

The thing is seen as having impact on the upcoming elections next week. http://mainichi.jp/articles/20180125/ddn/041/050/011000c

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Kasugano tells that he reported it at the time (within a week) to the riji-cho (Kitanoumi) and the head of crisis management: Takanohana. https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180125-00000016-jct-ent

The thing is seen as having impact on the upcoming elections next week. http://mainichi.jp/articles/20180125/ddn/041/050/011000c

Doesn’t that directly contradict his previous statement?

14 minutes ago, ALAKTORN said:

Doesn’t that directly contradict his previous statement?

He never stated that he told nobody, he just made excuses why it hadn't been made public.

Edited by Akinomaki