Kintamayama

Hakuhou injured.

Hakuhou has injured both toes. Left toe is new, right toe is the same injury that saw him sit out a basho in 2006. The left toe was injured today.  He will decide tomorrow if he will be showing up for day 5. Backstage, he was icing the left toe. "It's the same place as in 2006. As for tomorrow, I don't know till I try.." he said. "He fell awkwardly. It's swollen. If it doesn't get better he will go to the hospital tomorrow morning," said Miyagino Oyakata.

I don't think it has anything to do with his tachiai woes or with the fact that he isn't getting paid this basho..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Yubinhaad said:

OK OK we get it! He's injured! Point made! (Laughing...)

Oh, it was mentioned?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I don't think it has anything to do with his tachiai woes or with the fact that he isn't getting paid this basho..

Well if you're sure then I'm sure. Should we send Hakuho a fruit basket and a get well card?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Well if you're sure then I'm sure. Should we send Hakuho a fruit basket and a get well card?

It seems quite possible that injury is true reason with other things going on contributing into decision, if he kyujo-es.

In his first bout he seemed in good shape, if a bit slow. Against Ichinojo it seemed his bandaged arm prevented him from generating enough direct power to move such a weight (200 kilos is no joke) so Hak had to find a way around and did so. Rest is history, if I dare guess I'd say toes got injured in Ichi bout

From what my trainer told me, it's quite a common injury among older lifters or people that have done heavy lifts often for many years in general, didn't find anything to support this though.

Senior members please, does anyone have some info to support/contradict this theory? Did Hak just suffer an old-man injury? Did Father Time catch up with the strains his career placed on his body?

maorencze = the guy who always posts twice

At least that's how you're registered in my book now.

1 hour ago, maorencze said:

Rest is history, if I dare guess I'd say toes got injured in Ichi bout

Papers say the Yoshikaze bout today. and the other toe was already mentioned in yesterday's broadcast.

2 hours ago, Rocks said:

Every time Hakuho loses he is injured? I do not think so that he is injured every time. It seems to me that the opponents has figured it our what Hakuho is doing for tricky moves to win and that it does not work to win with pulling the opponent

15 minutes ago, word20 said:

Every time Hakuho loses he is injured?

Yes, but also every time he wins.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, word20 said:

Every time Hakuho loses he is injured?

At his age and condition he is always injured. It's just a matter of if he allows it to effect his mental game or not. If it was really bad I think he would have sat out completely.

Interesting use of punctuation on the thread title!  I read: "Hakuho injured period".

Given that he has reinjured his right big toe (which will likely be prone to injury in the future) and also injured his left big (?) toe, will we be seeing the great White Bird wearing white socks on both feet any time soon?  (I assume the white socks are worn by wrestlers to guard against toe injuries.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

(I assume the white socks are worn by wrestlers to guard against toe injuries.)

For most, the sock(s) are used to protect the sole of the foot from sand abrasions.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, word20 said:

Every time Hakuho loses he is injured? I do not think so that he is injured every time. It seems to me that the opponents has figured it our what Hakuho is doing for tricky moves to win and that it does not work to win with pulling the opponent

I don't understand the question. He says he's injured, and you don't believe him?

Ouch. I thought it was a lie to save face at first, but rewatching Kita’s video frame-by-frame you can tell he smashes his left big toe into the dohyō after slipping and it bends the wrong way before going back to normal position.

You can advance / go back a frame on YT by pausing the video and using . or , respectively, by the way.

Hopefully it’s nothing bad and he keeps going. Without the injury I’m sure he’d have had no trouble beating Kotoshōgiku.

Edited by ALAKTORN

Luckily, as  a yokozuna he is allowed to wear 2 of these white tabi slipper-socks on the dohyo. Lower ranks have to decide which foot they want to protect that day.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Luckily, as  a yokozuna he is allowed to wear 2 of these white tabi slipper-socks on the dohyo. Lower ranks have to decide which foot they want to protect that day.

Is this a joke? I don’t get it.

8 minutes ago, ALAKTORN said:

Is this a joke? I don’t get it.

no, that's a privilege of a yokozuna (I need to check though if ozeki maybe have it, too, but I think I remember it correctly as it is).

Edited by Akinomaki

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

no, that's a privilege of a yokozuna (I need to check though if ozeki maybe have it, too, but I think I remember it correctly as it is).

42 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

It's such a wonderfully absurd rule. I'm kind of curious about its origins. 

Now you guys are being mean --- I'm starting to think there actually is some weird sock rule for Yokozuna.

It doesn't seem possible to fight with two injured big toes, especially if you're a yokozuna and have to fight against the top guys. I expect him to withdraw. However, it is Hakuho , so you never know.

Well, if he does have a toe injury then I understand the pain. I broke my little toe and it was sore for months. Surgery would have required at least one screw and I am so glad that everything healed up without having to do surgery. I used to laugh when I heard about football players having 'turf toe'. I didn't realize how serious a toe injury could be.

I remember over one holiday season many years ago my mother actually broke her toe when a glass A1 Steak sauce bottle fell off a shelf and hit her small toe.  At the time i thought it was ridiculous, but to this day she still has some pain in that toe.  While she isn't a world class athlete, certain injuries can linger even after they "heal" and cause issues.